Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 week old Brindle female boxer who is a joy to have. Her name is Maera which means Faithful dog in the Greek.  She is pretty laid back and pretty calm, non destructive and loves chew bones and stuffed animal toys, and big pet approved tennis style balls.  My question and/or concern is that at 16 weeks she is pretty much house trained except when it rains. Any tips to get her over being scared of going out to potty in the rain. You can take her out and stay out there with her and she will go but she has the most defeated look on her face. And you can tell that she doen't like to potty in the rain. She takes baths well, and she even likes to be dried off by a hair dryer.  Any ideas will be very helpful.   :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Your girl is adorable!
Unfortunately I can't help with the rain issue. I know a lot of dogs hate going out in the rain. I know mine does!  :?  Hopefully someone on here will have some tips. I know I could use some, although I don't like going out in the rain much either!  :wink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't have any ideas for you, but I wanted to tell you that Maera is a very beautiful boxer.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh what an absolutely sweet face she has.. I just love it!!!!! Welcome to the forum.....Ahh rain....Sorry to say, that if she doesn't like it now, she never will..Samson detests the rain, and will wait till the absolute last minute to finally decide he needs to go out.. Oh the look on his face, he slouches down the steps, his ears are down, he just looks totally disgusted.....Even if I go out with him, sometimes I have to coax him, so the chances are Maera will always hate the rain...If it's any consolation, most boxers do.....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I too have rain haters!  I used to throw the ball out in the rain for the toy crazy one and then she would go and get it and go pee during the return of it.  My male isn't too toy motivated so he will hold it a whole day before he'll go out.  My new puppy is just like yours.  I use the umbrella as she isn't afraid of it after my introducing it to her, but she can still take forever and might not even go then.  It is too funny because I am bending over to hold the umbrella over her little body and my butt is getting all soaked by the rain!  The things we do for our dogs!

Nano

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nano, you are so true....we do crazy things for our boxers!  I have one rain hater and he also slouches down the stairs giving you a dirty look all the way.  But I also have one that will play out in the rain if it's not coming down too hard.  I don't think there is anything you can do to change her mind.  BTW, she is absolutely adorable.  She looks like she could break your heart with one of her sad looks :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Soloman was the same way when we got him. We where out in the front yard and it started raining the little boy climed up on my feet to stay out of the wet grass. When we would take him out if it was raining he found the areas that where dry under the eve of the house. It has gotten a lot better at 9 months he will go out  and even run around before he comes in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most boxers do not care for rain and it usually takes them some time to adjust to it.
probably you standing out there with her should help.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm afraid Daisy's a rain hater too! She doesn't hate it so much that she won't go out for the toilet though! I guess the only way to overcome the problem is by working on what motivates Maera, whether it be treats or toys, and try and encourage her out with whatever works. I don't know if that's any help to you! She sure is cute by the way!
Daisy is also a wind hater! When she's outside and there's a gust of wind, she sits down as quick as possible and won't move! She's never liked the wind!

Heather

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reward the good behavior, ignore the bad... this probably over simplifies it.  But when she does go out in the rain and come back in, have a puppy party- make such a big deal out of it that she wants to go again.  I am wondering if giving her more baths, without soap, might help.  My puppy doesn't like rain either though....... cute pup and welcome the forum!
~Anne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for all the words of encouragement it's good to know that i'm not alone. She is getting better with the rain and I do make a big deal when she goes out in the rain and comes back in. The other day we had a slow rain pretty much all day and when my wife got in from work there was NO mess!!! so slow rain to a sprinkle is ok...harder rain to be continued....OH!! and the other crazy thing she has started doing is when you are in the shower she will paw at the doors like she wants in. So I open the door and in she walks kinda sniffs around and then leaves...or she will get in the shower after you get out. She gets wet there you would think rain wouldn't bother her...but the shower "rain" is a bit warmer :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your Meara is sooooo cute.  At least she gets in the shower after you get out...my dog try to get in with you.  We've had to keep the door closed because he loves baths...he will sit in the tub or infront of the door when its closed and whine to take a bath....I've never known a dog that loves bathes.     Glad to hear she is doing better with the rain.
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a nine month old Boxer who doesn't like the rain either. I don't know if it's true or not but I read on a couple of different sites, that Boxers just don't like the rain for some reason. If it is raining and I know he absolutely has to go to the bathroom, I will just gentley take him by the collar and go and stand out in the rain with him till he goes and then really make a big positive fuss over him when he goes, and give him a treat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts