Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote last week about the issues we're having keeping Gino in his crate while we're gone.  We moved a few weeks ago and now he is having seperation issues.  He's 10 months old and used to love his cage.  He would run right in every morning before I left for work.  Last week he destroyed his cage, our bed, our shoes, our couch, and went to the bathroom everywhere.  After getting everything cleaned I went and bought one of those really sturdy plastic crates with the metal bar doors.  Once I put it together I knew there was no way he could get out.  Well after putting him in it Friday morning I came home from work and found him on my bed.  He broke the door by caving it in.  I have no idea how in the world this dog is doing this??  At night he walks right into his crate to sleep, it must be the confinement that he suddenly has an issue with.  I can't afford another $150 crate, so we were thinking about just keeping him in our bedroom with the door closed.  Any thoughts at this point?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I've read there are ways to secure the crates with ties or something, someone else can probably help with that.  I didn't think plastic crates were escapable though...they aren't collapsible so I'm confused how he caved it in.  

Different situation and a younger dog, but Oggie hated the crate so much I was concerned with his safety.  I tried to have him sleep on the floor next to my bed and he was an angel.  Been doing this ever since.  For him it was separation anxiety, I've worked for weeks to get rid of it and he's finally learning to be alone. I don't know if that is your dog's issue, although the symptoms certainly sound like it.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sorry to hear about your crate troubles.i wish i had some good words of advice.the last thing you want to do is leave for work and wonder if your house and/or boxer will be o.k. when you get back. :(   i have never run into that issue before,seems like they either love the crate or hate the crate. i hope you find a solution, please keep me posted. i am curious to know what the solution would ultimately be.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If he's fine with the crate at night when you're home, then that does indicate it's a separation issue during the day.  Like was mentioned in your threads from last week, when you moved him his world was turned upside down.  Maybe he's just nervous and unsure what's going on.  Some dogs take change harder than others.  I really think the issue is separation.  You have to gradually build up his comfort level with being home alone.  I went through this with my pup and I literally had to start from scratch......open the front door, go outside, close it, then come right back in.  Leave for 5 seconds.  Then 10 seconds.  Do this like 20 times a day.  Then the next day try going out for a minute.  So on and so forth. The idea is to return before his anxiety kicks in.  He will then not associate anxiety with being alone.  I've read that once you can leave him for 30 minutes with no anxiety, you should be able to leave him for much longer.  Most of the acting out from separation anxiety happens within the first 20 minutes.  If you leave for 20 minutes, does he go crazy?  You need to find out how long he can handle alone right now.  Just leaving him alone all day right now is just too much for him.    I realize this is tough to do when you have to go to work everyday so maybe while you are working on this, put him in a doggie daycare for the time being.  Or hire a dog walker or something.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do a search on here for separation anxiety....there are plenty of topics on it that will discuss ways to address it.  I know many talk about starting slowly, with 20 minutes periods, etc and gradually moving up. Also, crating him while you ARE home (other than at night) so that he does not necessarily associate crating with you being gone.  Also, if you get ready and grab your keys, etc. in front of him before you do leave, start doing these tasks when you are not actually leaving, to again, disassociate the activities with you leaving.

Sounds like this is a recent move, so give him some time to adjust.

Two main things worked for us with Abby (Brady seemed to have already been crate trained):
1. I spent a few nights literally in the crate with her so that she did not associate the crate with something bad. I spent a couple evenings, with a good book or some work, with my legs in the crate. Abby is a big lap dog, so once I had my legs in there, I picked her up and put her on my legs. Not the most comfortable thing, but it did help us a lot.  She tried to escape but i used my body to block her and brought a handful of treats and fed her them one at a time, holding onto the other end so that she had to eat them slowly. I gave her spoonfuls of peanut butter to work on and once she started to relax a bit, I just make a big fuss over her by rubbing her belly, starting soothingly to her, wrapping her in  blanket (which she loves) and doing whatever I had to get her sleepy. She would finally doze off (each night got easier) and I would just stay there for a couple of hours with her sleeping on my legs in the crate, reading my book, stroking her head. I think this helped her see her crate as something pleasing.

2. peanut butter filled kongs, frozen. we still do this everyday...it keeps them both occupied while they get over the initial moments of us leaving.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If it's the same type crate that I have, you have to make sure that the door is securely latched. I once didn't do that and Samson escaped...is the front, heavy wire/steel? that's what mine is and the door slides down into holes, then you latch it...He shouldn't be able to get out of that..You could put a lock on it or ties..I can't understand how he got out...He is definitely suffering from separation anxiety, poor baby...Does he have any issues with your g/f? Just grasping at straws here..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
ahh poor baby. luckily for us neither girl had crate problems-but we are moving in febuary so i am hoping that we dont go through this. I offer you my condolences (sp?) on your situation, and hopefully once he gets used to the new place things will settle down.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am not having that kind of issue with the crate. I do know from experience though that I left haven on her first day in the room and she scratched up the doors and then pooped everywhere. I cant be of much help.
Samantha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts