Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I knew it was going to happen , I was just waiting when.
I know most of you here believe that dog parks are bad idea, I don't disagree with you, they teach bad behaviors to other dogs and such.
I wanted to share a story of mine happened to me yesterday which made me want to shoot everyone in the park, yes I wanted to get a gun and shoot them. Not that I would ever do such a thing, but I would be lying if I say I didn't play it in my head haha.

Crixus is your typical 2 years old boxer with tons of energy and goofiness. I take him to the dog park so he can run around for an hour then we are done for the day. I can focus on my chores while he takes a nice long nap on the couch.
Crixus loves everybody and playing with other dogs unless one of them is humping him. If any dog humps him, which is usually another male bully type breed, he attacks the dog, he pins them down and doesn't let them move. When this happens, I warn the owner to correct the dog so he doesn't hump him.
I don't like humping, I don't allow my dog to hump any other dog since it is a dominance behavior and not allowed. It happens but I am there to correct.
I got into a huge fight with this girl who screamed her lungs to me saying I had to leave because my boxer attacked her boxer who doesn't stop humping him. She told me that dogs hump! this is a dog park what should I expect ? and cursed, called me names and bla bla.. Typical bitchy behavior that thinks her dog is more valuable then any other dogs..
Now there is always three side of the stories. Your side, my side and the truth. I know this is my side but I am trying to be honest as I can and trying to see the other sides view.
When I say this, Crixus made a big scene in the park , since other dogs got involved right away when this happened. I bring him there every weekend since he was 4 months old, regulars love him.
Now what should I do ? I don't want to deal with her or owners like her think they own the place.. But I enjoy dog parks and other dog owners that are more understandable and polite.
When It comes to others, no one wanted to be involved and just let that girl screams her lungs out while me being a much of an introvert. Then her husband came late to the scene and she literally complained her husband ask her husband to deal with me when I was actually leaving.
To be honest, I felt bad for the guy, he has to deal with a woman like that every day.

Update: Not sure how but she actually found me on social media and send me a long message apologizing. It looks like the people in the dog park got my back after I left .

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Yep I don't like dog parks and would only go if no other dogs there. Well since you know that Crixus will attack another dog if humped and if I saw another dog starting to bother him, I would have walked over grabbed my dog.. leashed him and left. Other people never get it and since my dog doesn't like it I'd remove him since he is mine and my responsibility.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
She is lucky her dog was just "pinned" by Crixus. Another dog may just go for the throat if humped. I know they can sound vicious when they pin a dog, and won't let it move an inch. She must have been scared, but you saw her true colors. Trailer trash?

Could you go really early in the morning? I've seen groups of owners who form a click to bully, and belittle others at dog runs. Not much you can do. Maybe bring a friend along who can record these interactions on his/her phone.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I am sorry that happened and glad no one or there dog was seriously hurt. Going at off peak hours might mitigate the inherit risk of being exposed to the dogs of the clueless??? Other that going to the Dog Park is like going into combat and then getting ticked off about being shot at ... crap happens.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the suggestions.
I should have left when the park got so crowded, I should have known better. Going off peak hours looks like the solution here. I will try to find quite times, definitely not going Sunday afternoons anymore.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I stopped going to dog parks years ago, but I remember there was a group of Boxer dogs that would gather there about 6:00 am. Other owners were scared of the rough way they played, and the downing and growling!! I remember I passed somebody who told me not to come early in the morning because that's when the Boxers were there. There was a "humper" Boxer in that group, but I think he just did it to be funny.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Oddly enough,marshall is so bad behaved he is also a humper with most new dogs; today he found it ok to try and hump a pitbull...which promptly turned around and humped him in return...little skirmish ensued, both ended up with teeth marks on their backs but nothing scary...he held his own.

The pit owner was mad and scared but heh, his dog is supposed to be on leash with a muzzle at all time so he had to shut the hell up or risk losing his dog since he bit marshall 1st ...Layla wanted to get a piece of the action but she was under my control

parks are not a great way to exercise dogs :/

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Oddly enough,marshall is so bad behaved he is also a humper with most new dogs; today he found it ok to try and hump a pitbull...which promptly turned around and humped him in return...little skirmish ensued, both ended up with teeth marks on their backs but nothing scary...he held his own.

The pit owner was mad and scared but heh, his dog is supposed to be on leash with a muzzle at all time so he had to shut the hell up or risk losing his dog since he bit marshall 1st ...Layla wanted to get a piece of the action but she was under my control

parks are not a great way to exercise dogs :/
Uh oh ... that sounds like trouble ... wrong owner, wrong dog and wrong approach ... and so it goes. Muzzled at all times you say ... Canadian thing???

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I still wish I had never gone. Tucker was always a little weird about meeting other dogs anyway but after the dog park founder's dog jumped him he decided that a preemptive strike is the way to go.

He is really excited to see other dogs but as soon as the sniffing starts I can see him tense and his eyes glaze a little. Then as soon as the other dog makes even a play move.....it's on.

He's pretty well trained and will listen to me but that's just not how you make friends.

It's kinda sad because I know he would like a dog buddy but something snapped in his head and it's not going to change.

After the fight the lady said she should have mentioned that her dog doesn't like bully breeds. Too little Too late.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I still wish I had never gone. Tucker was always a little weird about meeting other dogs anyway but after the dog park founder's dog jumped him he decided that a preemptive strike is the way to go.

He is really excited to see other dogs but as soon as the sniffing starts I can see him tense and his eyes glaze a little. Then as soon as the other dog makes even a play move.....it's on.

He's pretty well trained and will listen to me but that's just not how you make friends.

It's kinda sad because I know he would like a dog buddy but something snapped in his head and it's not going to change.

After the fight the lady said she should have mentioned that her dog doesn't like bully breeds. Too little Too late.
Yeah ... that sucks, I was always to anal and protective to let my dogs near dogs I don't know. I just did not want the hassle so I trained my dogs to "ignore other dogs" worked out fine.

My American BandDawg was a Dominate Male ... I didn't want to hassle with it so .... keep your distance, we'll keep ours was how we rolled. That doesn't work well in a Dog Park. It worked out fine and it turned out that when they did get play with other dogs after years ... it turned out ... they had zero issues!!!

I found myself with three strays on my hand and had to get them off the street before they got to the Hwy!! I was hoping I could at least round up one?? But when one came to me ... the others did also ... well that was good but my dogs were inside?? I told my guys stay and let the Jack Russell, Lapso or Shitzu (not sure) and the Shiba Inu, indoors and after a few minuets released my guys and .... everybody had a great time!!

Most likely those three were Dog Park dogs but mine were not, still my dogs had never had issues with other dogs and so had no issues with these three ... who knew. :)

At any rate if you want to work on this ... step one would be, well stay out of the Dog, at least for awhile. You'll need to walk him ... I don't know how well he is on walks at the moment?? But even if he is good, walking him and ignoring other dogs is important.

Start working on Place and Doing Sit on the Dog and eventually start doing those outside the Dog Park ... lot's of distractions to be found there.

And an option I never had would be Pack Walks if that is an option where you are ... take advantage of it but not right away.

And I think everything else is in this thread. :
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/182657-teach-your-dog-ignore-other-dogs.html

And of course ask questions ... again sorry that happened. :(

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
That has been probably 5 years ago. Now when we run across other dogs I let the meet and greet start but as soon as I see him tighten we just move on.

I can and have changed the way he acts with training but I don't believe I'll ever change the way he thinks.

It's not so bad, he is stuck with me and I'm stuck with him.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
That has been probably 5 years ago. Now when we run across other dogs I let the meet and greet start but as soon as I see him tighten we just move on.

I can and have changed the way he acts with training but I don't believe I'll ever change the way he thinks.

It's not so bad, he is stuck with me and I'm stuck with him.
OK as long as you got it under control, it's all good. My thing is more on the lines of not letting dogs get close to mine. I'd most likely pass out if I ever tried to enter a dog in a dog show ... I've heard things. :)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I just don't go to any parks though we have one that many times is empty. And I don't let others dogs near mine. I just don't see it to be necessary. I like my space and I don't want other dogs in my or Kai's face. I guess I am just anti social that way. LOL

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Actually in the beginning with my first dog Gunther (Band Dawg) was plan was to start Dog Parking him. But I saw "something" in his behaviour early on that caused me concern???

Maybe seven months or so?? I just saw something in the way he looked at other dogs that gave me pause?? And when he slapped down the puppy Boxer when I was for the first and last time also a "Is your dog freindly person" on our way in the enty of "Petco" ... the guy asked is your dog freindly and I said sure??? At the time he was freindly sure but he was also rude!!

That guy knew no more about dogs than I did so we did the nose to nose thing with our respective charges! Gunther pawed the puppy to the ground and went to get a grip on him but I interceded with my hand first between the puppy's back and Gunther's grip and he stopped but I was like WTH is this??? I apologized and we moved on ... that was not a good unknow dog, experience for that puppy ... my bad.

So at that point no question something was up here??? So "off to Eval" we go ... find a trainer!!! And the guy said no he's not Dog Aggressive he's just a Dominant Male Dog.

I said OK no problem ... easy enough, that was all I knewed to know. So no Dog Parks, no I thought my Dog was friendly people and get on with life. A side note of course, is that if I had a Dog such as this (and no shortage of them in San Jose) at the time. But those owners might not care about there dogs behaviour as much as I did about mine??? My dog's issues's are not my problem ... there your problem!

So, I made adjustments to my expectations and I got it right and two years later when I got my first Boxe/APBT puppy ... Gunther became the best puppy raiser ever! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The last post is June 30th so I hesitated to post. ETA now last post is 7/1/17, weird.
I do not understand the many anti dog park comments. what are dog parks for if not to let your dog run free and socialize. Yes I have had one incident where my boy ran up to a great Dane which then bit him. It happened so fast and i was 100 feet away. as I ran over as the dog was pulled off by the owner and then I realized it was leashed. probably should not be there, but seems as though they were trying to socialize too.
I contained my desire to kill the dog and owner and left. we were back the following week. my boy loved going, interacting and strangers would throw the ball just for him while ignoring their own.
what then am I missing when most of you think dog parks should be avoided altogether, what are they for

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The last post is June 30th so I hesitated to post. ETA now last post is 7/1/17, weird.
I do not understand the many anti dog park comments. what are dog parks for if not to let your dog run free and socialize. Yes I have had one incident where my boy ran up to a great Dane which then bit him. It happened so fast and i was 100 feet away. as I ran over as the dog was pulled off by the owner and then I realized it was leashed. probably should not be there, but seems as though they were trying to socialize too.
I contained my desire to kill the dog and owner and left. we were back the following week. my boy loved going, interacting and strangers would throw the ball just for him while ignoring their own.
what then am I missing when most of you think dog parks should be avoided altogether, what are they for
Can't speak for anyone else, but where I am there are very few dog parks. In my opinion a lot of people use dog parks to give their dog exercise and release energy without any training beforehand. So you have many amped up out of control dogs which isn't necessarily a good atmosphere.

I have also talked to people who after vet visits for stitches, fleas, viruses, etc. that would never bring their dog to a park again.

I have no issue with people who bring their dogs to parks. I personally won't because I have no idea how well other peoples dogs are trained, if they are healthy, etc. I have dogs in the neighborhood we play with. I know the dogs and the owners and thats what we do. I think there are pro's and con's to both sides, but really just comes down to what people are comfortable with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So sad to hear so many bad stories of the dog park experience. We have two dog parks in the midwestern city where I live and we frequent one several times a week. I homeschool my kiddos so we do go when it is not as busy, we like to go after lunch before school lets out. Our 4 year old rescue and 7 month old boxer absolutely love it. Our puppy has found out she loves the obstacle/skills course in the corner and goes through it several times with my daughter every time we are there. She particularly loves the tunnel! It's the only way the boxer puppy gets enough exercise. I guess we have been lucky that the owners and dogs that frequent this park are good attentive owners and good dogs. We have always had a good experience, sad for you all that have a rough time!! During the summer our dog park has a "splash pad" for the dogs and our puppy can't get enough!! Its hilarious to see all of the big dogs laying in the water and all of the small ones standing on the outside wondering why any dog would like to get wet :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts