Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry its taken me so long to write! But we got our new addition his name is Duke and he is the sweetest puppy. I hold him around like a baby and he loves it. He puts one arm on each side of my neck and he rests his head on my shoulder and I put my hand under neath him and he will lay there for as long as I let him haha.  I think thats why he likes me a little more than my boyfriend cuz I like to baby him and my boyfriend thinks hes already a big dog haha they are cute together though. Duke sleeps on my bfs chest everynight I feel left out haha. We got him Friday and we took him to meet his new vet on saturday and he weighs 5.2 lbs he was the smaller of all his brothers and sisters but the doctor said he is very healthy and he goes this next saturday for his second set of shots. We have a roommate and they have a mini dauchand (I hope I spelled that right lol) and she is the same size and Duke just 4 months haha and they are best friends its so cute! I will try and get some pics for you guys in the next couple days... and also I have a HUGE issue with potty training... he's only 8 weeks so I know he wont master it right away but it seems hes getting worse. We dont want to let him have free rein of the house so we have the baby gate up in the living room so he can just be in the kitchen and the living room with us and then we take him in our room when we go to bed. But I dont know if we need to crate him when we are gone because my bf will leave for an hour then come home or whatever and he will put him in the bathroom but he wont go on the potty pads just wherever he pleases. Help I NEED tips!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Re: I got my new baby!! Tips on potty training? kinda long s

Awe Duke is so cute, he is just a little doll.  As far as potty training all you can do is be consistent, don't give him to much space to roam, and try and take him to the spot you want him to use as a bathroom every time he eats, as soon as he wakes up from sleep and once every hour when he is awake and playing.  Don't scold him if he has an accident that you don't see (it's probably your fault anyway for not taking him out during the very early days.  If you are consistent and just praise him and give treats when he goes when and where he is suppose to, he'll learn quickly.  Just remember you are in for about 6 to 8 weeks of mistakes - that will eventually taper off to fewer and fewer.  There are a lot of people who crate train their puppies on this site and they can give you more tips than I can as I haven't "crate trained" Sophie like so many people do, and Kane is housebroken.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

When we're at work, both our dogs stay in there crates.  I definitely agree with advice that Kate gave.  One suggestion, especially early on might be to pull there water dish a couple of hours before bedtime.  We taught our dogs to go sit at the door when they needed to go out.  If you wanna use pads indoors, you need to make sure after feedings and such that you guide them to the pad area.  Treats are good, but they aren't necessary.  If your consistent in taking them to the same place, they'll catch on.

·
Registered
942 Posts

Bell training is also very nice. Train your puppy to ring a bell attached to the door if they need to go outside. For now just make his nose or paw hit the bell, then take him out to go potty. As soon as he starts to potty or poo act like you've just won the potty/poop lottery with him..LOTS of praise. :D He'll get the hang of it in no time. :)

Another thing I learned from reading around...never chase your puppy...always run away from him when you're playing...have him chase you. I did that with Kaci and now she doesn't need a leash when we're outside, she never leaves our sight.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

housebreaking takes months to master. The best thing is consistancy and lots of treats!! Reese, our 8 month old, is for the most part housebroken but every now and then she has an accident. We still supervise her and she must be in the same room as us at all times. Savannah could roam if she wanted, but she loves sticking to my side 24/7 :) Personally i think crate training is the best. I have always used a crate for any animal i have ever had (even kittens that i needed to litter box train) i am pro-crate!! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Awesome! I love the bell idea and thanks for the tip on chasing Duke because I would love it if he didnt need a leash. And from what it seems crate training is the way to go and thats what Im gonna try. He is such a great puppy otherwise, I fell in love with him the first day lol

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Hey I can relate.....just got my pup last weekend.  It's very frustrating but you just gotta stick with it.  I found Oggie was peeing on all the carpets he could find first, I removed the carpets because I mostly have hard wood floors.  He'll still go on the floor if I don't take him out in time, but at least it's easier to clean.  Get the Nature's Miracle cleaner, it's the best way to get rid of the odor.  I need a belt with holster for that thing I use it so much.  From my very very brief experience, just take him out as often as possible.  I had to take him out every 2 hours when he first got here.  Now I can bump it up to about 3 hours, but thats the max (unless he really is just sound asleep).   And don't let him out of your sight as much as possible!  Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts