Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well welcome aboard. And she sounds like a wonderful dog. This is my girl Bella that's her in "Place-ish." On the coffee table?? Well you know the cat's get up there so ... why can't I?? I just say ... "whatever??" Sigh,
IMG_20200405_095834240.jpg
she is a lot of thing's but she has a way to go to be "amazing??"

But I do take your point ... my Bella was a one year old rescue, she is two now. Where did your girl come from and how long have you had her??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well welcome aboard. And she sounds like a wonderful dog. This is my girl Bella that's her in "Place-ish." On the coffee table?? Well you know the cat's get up there so ... why can't I?? I just say ... "whatever??" Sigh, View attachment 135725 she is a lot of thing's but she has a way to go to be "amazing??"

But I do take your point ... my Bella was a one year old rescue, she is two now. Where did your girl come from and how long have you had her??
Rhea is a rescue too and I have had her for 4 years

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well welcome aboard. And she sounds like a wonderful dog. This is my girl Bella that's her in "Place-ish." On the coffee table?? Well you know the cat's get up there so ... why can't I?? I just say ... "whatever??" Sigh, View attachment 135725 she is a lot of thing's but she has a way to go to be "amazing??"

This is her spot View attachment 135726

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Aw Chip Bella is cute I have never seen a picture of her she looks like an angel.
LOL, well it's just an "act," for the most part??? She does have a tendency to be "asleep" or in full on PIA mode indoors! But ... that is "mostly" due to Marilyn and not me!

Right now "Marilyn," is gone and it's just Bella and me. Bella was outside doing "whatever," and came aside laid down and fell asleep. :)

I do the training and the walks and I set the rule's! And my number one rule is "don't bug me or run amok indoors! And Bella gets that but Marilyn ...not so much?? Bella is easily capable of entertaining herself indoors without human intervention. And she will do the head on the lap bit with me and ball in the hand in the chair bit and she get's nothing! So she will move on and entertain herself without bothering me!

Sigh but Marilyn has to engage her! Throw the ball bring it back throw the ball bring it back etc ...etc! I see her out and about in the wild as it were and there is literally ... "ZERO," chance of wearing her out indoors! I don't even bother ... so she try's and gets nothing?? So you know fine, then and she moves to Mom and ... there she goes again ... sigh. :(

And when she gets so ramped up that she finally nip's Marilyn (usually by accident) ... I step in and say ... "PLACE," and point to the sofa and that is an end to that crap. But you know that is a "people issue and not a dog issue. :)

But ... and I never I thought I would say it so soon ... in our regular ... out in the desert off leash, outing's in a "distraction free environment???" Bella got a chance to be "Amazing??" And I was impressed! :)

Where I am we are are about half block from open desert and a dry creek bed! And usually when we go out ... no one is out there?? But in the current shut down era ... thing's are a bit different?? And Bella has/had??? A serious issue about chasing loud thing's with wheel's that move fast??? She went after a full dress Harley with radio blaring and loud exhaust on our first neighbor walk a year ago. I was stunned and I had to block her with my Walking Stick to keep her from charging into the street ... WTH??? And a couple month's later in a different neighborhood and again, she was on leash when a quad runner round' the corner and she want's a piece of that thing also! Sigh and once again on leash I stop her.

So now I know! That was all last year and time goes by ... but an update as it were, her recall is not great but in a distraction free environment it is doable. But NV open desert and with shutdown ... people and bikes and stuff are often out and about when they usually or not???

And in the dry river bed ... I heard something coming towards us??? Oh "CRAP!!" Bella was on the shore as it were and I quickly called to her ... hopefully she will come?? And she did just as the first "Quad Runner" thing. \

Most people are cool around when they see folks have a dog so the guy paused. And looked like he was gonna change direction but he stopped and waited?? Bella had come back and was down in the creek bed with me. I had her leash but it would take to long to clip it to her cuz I was kinda freaked out!! So I got her to climb to a shelf out of the creek bed and told her "Sit!"Which I never thought was worth a crap really (but I'd been working on it ... another story.) At any rate ... she did just that ... I was reaching up in front of her and she just, sat and smiled as not one but three quad's went by her!!!

She just sat there and smiled as they went by and never tried to move! I was freaking stunned??? I was in front of her to "try" and block her ... everything happened so fast I did not have to get the traffic leash on her!! And honestly if she had tried to move she could have easily blown by me! But she did not!! I was relived, stunned and most impressed!! :)

And yeah back on point ... while she is not a "Struddell, "(my white Boxer) and most certainly ... not my "Rocky." GSD (a very high bar there!) I still have her, cuz she "chose not to do something stupid!!"

So yep I did not think I'd be saying it this soon but yeah I was Amazed, cuz she did good!! :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wow she really Did do good I hope you gave her lots of praise! Its always a heart stopping moment when a known ""trigger" for your dog appears out of nowhere and you are not prepared at that one moment! But you should be proud somewhere in there all those training sessions are sinking in! I have been having a lot of problems too with the shut down all the "quiet" places I like to walk are inundated with people who are totally ignorant of the woods they are walking in they turn all their little kids loose and let them play in the leaves in the woods (hello ticks) dig under rotten logs (hello copperheads) and climb the hairy Tarzan vines climbing up the tree (AKA poisen ivy) I finally quit telling them then my personal favorite is just letting their dogs run wild on the Park trails the NPS has a permanent rule all dogs must be on a leash everyone likes to pretend ignorance of this one even thought there is a big sign then throw in the social distancing and you have a very stressful situation over there. I have had words twice now once with a fellow boxer owner she had an intact male that was standing beside the trail growling at my dogs and I told her you need to move your dog, she was like "oh you can get by" I was like MOVE YOUR DOG NOW I HAVE AN INTACT MALE TOO! Not to mention my boy was 3 times bigger than hers I made her very angry but oh well! I can't wait till everyone goes back to work so there will be peace in the woods again!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Wow she really Did do good I hope you gave her lots of praise! Its always a heart stopping moment when a known ""trigger" for your dog appears out of nowhere and you are not prepared at that one moment! But you should be proud somewhere in there all those training sessions are sinking in! I have been having a lot of problems too with the shut down all the "quiet" places I like to walk are inundated with people who are totally ignorant of the woods they are walking in they turn all their little kids loose and let them play in the leaves in the woods (hello ticks) dig under rotten logs (hello copperheads) and climb the hairy Tarzan vines climbing up the tree (AKA poisen ivy) I finally quit telling them then my personal favorite is just letting their dogs run wild on the Park trails the NPS has a permanent rule all dogs must be on a leash everyone likes to pretend ignorance of this one even thought there is a big sign then throw in the social distancing and you have a very stressful situation over there. I have had words twice now once with a fellow boxer owner she had an intact male that was standing beside the trail growling at my dogs and I told her you need to move your dog, she was like "oh you can get by" I was like MOVE YOUR DOG NOW I HAVE AN INTACT MALE TOO! Not to mention my boy was 3 times bigger than hers I made her very angry but oh well! I can't wait till everyone goes back to work so there will be peace in the woods again!
Ah I feel your pain! And somehow ...now that I don't have a large Over Sized WL GSD anymore all the tool's and there dog's, seem to have disappeared?? But what time of day was it when you had the "tool" encounter's??

And yep ...it was "unexpected for me, also with the quad's!" I heard something and had to think?? Then recall Bella who was out of site on the bank. And when she came back and down I had to move her up and say sit (as an implied stay??) And it worked!!! Now you would not think clipping her leash on was that big a deal?? But I did not know if I had the time?? So I had to go with "Sit!"

And I would have sworn ... that would not have worked?? But to be fair ... I practice the Sit till released ... every day! Every time I open the door, I go out she wait's then I call her and have her "Sit!" Every time I go out with her. I round the garage out of site and then call her. And she comes and goes to the car! :)

But yeah she just sat as told, and I had no idea there was not just one but three of those things there!! And as I did say most of the off road-ers are very considered of people with dog's but a dog running loose chasing one off-road vehicle and there are two more behind it, yeah that's not good!

But nope as off late ... I have not had to tussle with people and there dog's?? Where we tend to go ... other dog walker's are not! But the "shutdown" is going to be a problem??
I wanted to get Bella enrolled in the Rattle Snake avoidance class. And I am not sure that is gonna happen now?? And it is a big deal because Bella is such a tool, she goes out there "looking for places," where rattler's are most likely to be!!!

But it sounds like now, you have a lot more people and there dog's to deal with then I do??

·
Registered
512 Posts
I didn't know there was a snake avoidance class but that's a great idea. Usually if my dogs run into something they don't understand they usually freeze and look at me. Good job Bella!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
LOL yeah Bella can be a real piece of work! The first time she "tried," to go after the Harley ... took me by surprise??? She could have caused a wreck as the bike was rounding the corner at low speed with of course loud pipes and radio blaring.
Maybe she thinks she is the noise police?? But she did not blink just charged! But I stopped her fast with my stick (once I understood what the heck was happening?? I'd never had a dog do something that overtly stupid before??? If it's loud and fast .. I'm gonna chase it, if given the chance. I can't depend on her to make "Good Choices," so far. :)

I'll have to call and see if the Rattle Snake Avoidance classes are gonna happen?? Maybe with mask and social distancing they will still happen??? They should be available in all of the continental US, as Rattler's are in every state.

And I'm pretty sure Rattler's aren't gonna ... "Stay Home," because of the Pandemic??? And heck "technically," people are out there walking dog's and stuff in there homes anyway .. so there is that.

But Bella is really bad when out and about because she is out there looking for Rattler's!! Every nook and cranny where one is likely to be ... is right where she goes!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts