Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
My friend use to breed Boston terriers and I was there for a few litters, Her Bostons poo was black and tarry like afterwards. I am pretty sure that the tails and dew claws need to be removed within a few days of birth so I would have them do it on Monday when you go to the vet.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Awwwww where are the pics may I ask???????? lol I dont have any answers for you because Ive never gone through this!! Good luck with them

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've never experienced this either, but I'd love to see pics!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Normally pups have their tails docked within 2-5 days after birth. Don't know anything about the stool question.  Here is a couple of links for you to look through. You are probably right in your thinking that Roxi is an awesome dog, but your also right in knowing that she probably should not have been bred. I won't go into breeding ethics because what's done is done. Please look through the links or google what you have questions about. There are a few reputable breeders on this forum who can probably help with some of your questions.  Good luck and please keep us updated on their condition, and yes we would love to see pictures!

http://www.cdb.org/what_is.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/category_su ... 2&cat=1628

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You can also hit up Newcastle for advice.  She's a abreeder and a fountain of information.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
It's just obvious to me by the questions you have asked that you either didn't plan this breeding or that you have not done any research before breeding.  It's nothing against Roxi, she is a beautiful bitch. How old is she, and has she had all of her health testing done? OFA or PennHIP certification against Hip Dysplasia, OFA certification with a Holter Monitor against Aortic Stenosis and Cardiomyopathy, OFA certification for thyroid problems, CERF eye certification that would show dog is free from eye disease? Those are very important health tests that need to be done before breeding.
Also, I would think that any reputable breeder would know when the pups tails need to be docked. I said before what's done is done, so I really didn't want to get into this. I wish you luck and hope you do choose to stick around. There are a lot of knowledgable people here that can offer you great advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no i haven't had these test done and no it wasn't really planed out very well.
I'm not a breeder I'm just a guy who took his baby over to his friends house who has a male boxer and they did it. :)
i did want them to too, i must admit but after watching her go through it, i must admit that i will be getting her fixed when this is all over with. not because i have a breeding issue or feel that i am too unknowledgeable  after all i am the one who had to break sack #1  yuk :)
but because I just didn't like seeing her go through it.
I love her.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I commend you for the fact that you will have her spayed when she is ready. Maybe you can share your story with others that are thinking of breeding their dogs and change their mind. Breeding is more than getting two dogs together to have sex. It is a lot of preparation and work. Unfortunately, many people just don't realize what goes into breeding and all too often get into situations they can't handle. That doesn't mean you are a bad person, it just means you didn't do the research that needed to be done. Learn from this experience...leave the breeding to the experts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Congradulations RustyJames, and can't wait to see Roxi's puppies.
Enjoy them while they are young , they grow up so fast.
People are harsh to judge, Spay and Neuter is a great thing and puppies can be born before this is done.
I just had Gus Neutered 3 weeks ago ( he was just over 4 months ) and its a choice. I didn't want him running off and falling in love with everyone and he even stoped humping my spayed female.lol.... Roxi will always be a wonderful loving dog before and after the puppies
ENJOY !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The stool is probably normal, especially if she ate the placentas, but keep an eye on things.  Plan on having the dews and tails done on Monday - as was mentioned, 2-5 days is the range and they're right smack in it, and you don't want to be dragging them out to the vet again a day or two later.  You'll need to be in the room with your bitch for at least the first week or so, as close to 24/7 as possible, to be sure she doesn't step or lay on a puppy or cannibalize them (not common with Boxers, but not unheard of, either, especially in young first-time mothers).  Also you want to watch her for signs of eclampsia or mastitis.

Some brief information about rearing puppies:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=916

You should also start working on your puppy sales contracts now, so that you have everything in place before you start interviewing potential buyers.  A good sample is here - you'll need to remove the bit about the parents being certified clear of hip dysplasia:
http://www.thedogsbestfriend.com/blankcontracts.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts