Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My pup is giving me a very hard time!

I have to mix wet food in his dry kibble to get him to eat, but it doesn't end there.. before I can even get through the can he starts to loose interest in the flavor and stops finishing his food. I have to buy different flavors and half way through a can switch it..

I'm afraid I'm creating a monster. He is so little and I just want him to eat and grow but am I babying him too much?

Also the back of the bag says almost 4 cups a day, I (try to) feed him 3 cups.. (1 cup 3x) He seems to be a healthy weight, the vet said he was not skinny but "lean" He was 22 pounds a few days ago and 3 months old..

Should I continue babying him or will a little tough love solve this?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Most puppies at this age seem to be picky eaters. You are creating a worse picky eater. Decide what is is you want to feed him, dry/wet, combo put it out for 30 minutes, whatever he doesn't eat take it away until his next meal. Our guy was also picky especially during teething, he now eats 2x a day and eats it all. IN fact I think he would eat more if I gave it to him but I don't want him to fat. LOL

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Weighing 22 pounds at 3 months? Your pup is doing just fine. There's nothing wrong with having a lean pup even if he stays that way is whole life. Staying lean may help him keep from developing health and joint problems as he ages.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weighing 22 pounds at 3 months? Your pup is doing just fine. There's nothing wrong with having a lean pup even if he stays that way is whole life. Staying lean may help him keep from developing health and joint problems as he ages.
Yes, you're right.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one, not quite as bad but I thought there was a bigger issue. She is 9 weeks old and barely eating 1 1/2 cups of food a day. I tried mixing with what the breeder was feeding and she wont eat it, then I tried just straight Taste of the Wild and she wont eat that either. So far the only food I can get her to eat is Nulo which is super expensive and its still only about 1 1/2 cups a day. Should I be mixing her food with water to see if maybe its just too hard for her right now?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Adding water cannot hurt. I actually fed my boy royal canine boxer puppy in the beginning, not the most highly rated and its costly too but he did very well on it. He liked the shape of the food and it agreed with him. We now feed Victor select high energy, more cost effective for us and rated well on dogfoodadvior.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I keep hearing good things about Royal Canine Boxer but they only sell the puppy blend in large bags so I didnt want to waste my money if she was not going to eat it

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Thanks, I keep hearing good things about Royal Canine Boxer but they only sell the puppy blend in large bags so I didnt want to waste my money if she was not going to eat it
Yeah, but it really isn't highly rated on dogfoodadvisor.com I think its only a 2.5 star out of 5 but my guy liked it . I switched him off for several reasons, 1. at 5 months his trainer said forget puppy food you don't want his bones growing too fast, the price and all my other dogs were on Victor so it made sense to me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Being a picky eater is not uncommon for a boxer. Sometimes they have sensitive stomaches. You need to find a food which your boy likes and tolerates well.

We put the bowls on the floor @ 830 and 530 with one cup of food in them. As soon as they're finished we pick up the bowls and rinse them. We use Acana so 2c a day does the trick.
We have one who is a picky eater. Sometimes we give her a tums for her tummy, then she usually is ready to eat in a 1/2hr or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts