Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We woke up this morning and let Jake out of his crate.When my wife let him out she noticed that his mouth was open.well he cant close his mouth.The strange thing is that it doesnt seem to bother him.But he cant eat and only sticks his tongue in his bowl to drink.I thought he maybe had something stuck in a tooth but I looked all thru his mouth and felt around and nothing.All the vets around here are closed and I cant get an answer.I will try to get a picture up.His mouth is open about half way.He was fine last night at bedtime and thats why it makes no sense to me.Any suggestions?Please help

·
Registered
441 Posts
I dont know, but hopefully someone will chime in soon with advice...You don't have any emergency vets near you???? Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Wild guess.  Do you think he may have gotten some kind of insect bite down in his throat.  This would make it painful to swallow.  He might be leaving his mouth open just as a response because he really does not want to swallow.  I think most 24-hour animal hospitals will talk to an owner on the phone.  Go from there, they may know exactly what might be going on.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would get him to the vet ASAP and find out what is wrong.  

Nano

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Check the health forum poison control sticky. Even assuming that it's not a poison there are 24 hour e-vet numbers  you can call (I assume for a fee) they may be able to help.  Tough to find a vet on a holiday. Good luck, let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
942 Posts
There has to be a 24/7 vet somewhere in your area. I would google it and see if any come up. That's very scary, good luck and I hope you guys figure it out soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the concern from you all.I dont know how but I ran my fingers down each side of his throat and up the inside of the jaw line and he closed his mouth and is acting perfectly normal now.We did get ahold of 2 vets right before that and they both said that he either had an infection or something lodged.I dont know what it was but I hope it never happens again.But at least now I have put an updated picture of Jake on the site...lol he is now 7 1/2 months old.Thanks Again guys/gals

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
That does sound scary. I agree with the others, I would try to get a hold of an eVet and ask them what could be wrong and what your next steps should be. Keep us updated and good luck!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sounds like he is doing better, but I would still take him to the vet when you can to see if they can figure out what happened.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know I think he was just jealous of the easter bunny and wanted some extra attention.....lol I am going to call his regular vet in the morning.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Thank God!  I was wondering if he was okay and logged back on just to check.  Keep an eye on him (like I need to tell you that) and hopefully was a weird occurrence.  I might still get him checked out tomorrow if nothing changes till then.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That was a scary way to wake up this morning! Sounds like he's doing better, thank goodness...Definitely follow up with a trip to your vet tho...Boy these babies sure do give us scares, don't they?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well...I must admit that was odd and also I imagine very scary....Glad he is doing better now....Let us know what you find out from your vet....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts