Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so haven is four months old. She is such a great puppy but has not started her training class yet. The next class is not until the 28th so I have to wait. Ok get to my point I am so upset today because I have been taking haven out to play and she is starting to run away from me. She learned to jump the fence also so I have to go out and get her when she does. I open the window to try to keep an eye on her and keep her from going over the fence but sometimes does not happen. Ok anyway's she is running and so I get the treat box and shake it (its the only way she will come back to me) I try not to run after her cause I don't want her to think its ok to run from me. I just don't know what to do. I am really starting to get upset with her over it. I love her so much and just don't want her to get stolen or hurt.

NEXT: I take haven with me everywhere but to get her ready for shows I am trying to get her to use her crate more. So I started making her go to it for a while a day. I need to start making her sleep in it to but right now I am just trying to make her like the crate lol. Anyway's she is very much so potty trained but here this week anytime I leave the house she poops and sometimes will be covered in it. I have been patient with this but today I left for thirty min and came home and there is pooped covered haven. I don't understand why I know she knows to go outside. It seems to be only when I leave. She is just overall getting really snobby is the best way to put it. She has not been listening to me at all.
Ok I am done rambling I just am so fed up with it this week. I think I have been really tolerant but today was just a bad day and add the week to it and I am frustrated.
I guess what I am asking is how do I teach her to not do these things but still give her positive reinforcement. When she runs I get the cookie box shake it and when she gets to me I give her the cookie and tell her good girl but ITS NOT WORKING SHE STILL RUNS AND ONLY COMES IF I HAVE COOKIES. AND NOW SHE IS TAKING THE COOKIE AND TRYING TO RUN AGAIN. ERRRRRRRRRR PLEASE HELP. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO UNTIL HER TRAINING CLASS STARTS.
Samantha

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maybe you should not let her run free and only let her out on leash, I would hate to see something happen to her as she is still so young.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First of all, she's still a puppy and puppies like to test us and boxers excel at it, in my opinion....You almost have to start from scratch, read the 2 Sticky topics in the training section about teaching recall, that's something you need to really work on all the time..I'm guilty of not working on it as much as I should....As far as the potty issue, sounds like a bit of acting out, like a child(which she still is), she's upset that you are leaving her and that's how she responds....Also it isn't uncommon for pups to have a regressionin their potty training, so she may snap out of it pretty quick

Keep in mind something else, Boxers are very smart & also intuitive, Haven is picking up on your frustrations, which doesn't help..I had a lot of problems with Angel, she was constantly fighting me, testing me. I thought i was losing my mind there for a bit..Never had those kinds of problems with my males...Take a deep breath, count to 10 and take it from the top. If you feel yourself getting upset, walk away, turn around anything.......

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lulu\";p=\"49861 said:
Maybe you should not let her run free and only let her out on leash, I would hate to see something happen to her as she is still so young.

SHE does NOT run free at all. We go out in the yard to play when I do not look she JUMPS the fence and then I go after her. Then she does not come to me and all the above stated. Like I said in my org post I love her so much and don't want her to get hurt that is why I got fed up and posted.
Samantha

·
Registered
75 Posts
Skyboxers\";p=\"49865 said:
[quote="lulu\";p=\"49861":2bksnan5]Maybe you should not let her run free and only let her out on leash, I would hate to see something happen to her as she is still so young.

SHE does NOT run free at all. We go out in the yard to play when I do not look she JUMPS the fence and then I go after her. Then she does not come to me and all the above stated. Like I said in my org post I love her so much and don't want her to get hurt that is why I got fed up and posted.
Samantha[/quote:2bksnan5]

Skyboxers\";p=\"49858 said:
Ok so haven is four months old. She is such a great puppy but has not started her training class yet. The next class is not until the 28th so I have to wait. Ok get to my point I am so upset today because I have been taking haven out to play and she is starting to run away from me. She learned to jump the fence also so I have to go out and get her when she does. I open the window to try to keep an eye on her and keep her from going over the fence but sometimes does not happen. Ok anyway's she is running and so I get the treat box and shake it (its the only way she will come back to me) I try not to run after her cause I don't want her to think its ok to run from me. I just don't know what to do. I am really starting to get upset with her over it. I love her so much and just don't want her to get stolen or hurt.

NEXT: I take haven with me everywhere but to get her ready for shows I am trying to get her to use her crate more. So I started making her go to it for a while a day. I need to start making her sleep in it to but right now I am just trying to make her like the crate lol. Anyway's she is very much so potty trained but here this week anytime I leave the house she poops and sometimes will be covered in it. I have been patient with this but today I left for thirty min and came home and there is pooped covered haven. I don't understand why I know she knows to go outside. It seems to be only when I leave. She is just overall getting really snobby is the best way to put it. She has not been listening to me at all.
Ok I am done rambling I just am so fed up with it this week. I think I have been really tolerant but today was just a bad day and add the week to it and I am frustrated.
I guess what I am asking is how do I teach her to not do these things but still give her positive reinforcement. When she runs I get the cookie box shake it and when she gets to me I give her the cookie and tell her good girl but ITS NOT WORKING SHE STILL RUNS AND ONLY COMES IF I HAVE COOKIES. AND NOW SHE IS TAKING THE COOKIE AND TRYING TO RUN AGAIN. ERRRRRRRRRR PLEASE HELP. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO UNTIL HER TRAINING CLASS STARTS.
Samantha
Sounds like she runs loose to me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My first thought is take a deep breath. She is only four months old. Still far too young to be getting so frustrated.

If she runs and jumps the fence. ONE. keep her on leed until her recall is better. Two. You need a bigger fence if a four month old is jumping it.  Not trying to be negative just making some observations. Recall is not easy with any dog. Especially boxers. Read the training sticky's and work on it, it will take time and ALOT of patients.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Boog use to do that to me. I never let him out by himself(he's my only baby boy...lol) so i put him on the leash and we play on it and every thing we have done that for 2 months now. So when we take the leash off to play he will stay close and we have never had trouble with him again(knock on wood try the leash see what happens

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
they key thing that helped me with sumya is never to let her sense my frustration. also, try to make training as fun as possible, more like a game and less like a chore. that is what worked with us, but every boxer is different...they pretty much are all stubborn though. :roll:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BoxerDaddy\";p=\"49866 said:
[quote="Skyboxers\";p=\"49865":5qub2285][quote="lulu\";p=\"49861":5qub2285]Maybe you should not let her run free and only let her out on leash, I would hate to see something happen to her as she is still so young.

Samantha[/quote:5qub2285]

Skyboxers\";p=\"49858 said:

Samantha
Sounds like she runs loose to me.[/quote:5qub2285]

I WANT to thank everyone for the advise. I am planning on installing a new fence (From four to six)but did not think I would have to worry about the fence at this point in time. I am going to try to do the leash idea. Now as for the running free (I see this as I let her out anywhere and she just runs.) NOT my backyard. I have not been letting her do this the whole four weeks I have owned her it just started that is why I posted this. I kind of feel like what I wrote is being taken as oh you just let her go and run. NO I LOVE MY GIRL and don't let her run yes there are times I may step inside to get food bowls or something but I am trying not to even do that since she started jumping the fence. now I would not of taken it that way if it would have been well instead of letting her run free in the yard try to leash her it would of been taken different. Every time she jumps I am right there. Yes I am going to go and get her a leash 2moro to put outside but for the last few days this has been going on if she jumps I was right behind her. I am sorry if I took this the wrong way but that is how I took it. Again thanks everyone. I have had a lot of good advise from this forum and made lots of new friends along the way. I hope to make many more and I am not trying to sound like oh I don't appreciate it. I just tried to clarify a earlier response then a response to that.
Samantha

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well as I said she jumps my guessing about six feet. It could be a little less but I cant go over a six foot fence because of the fence requirements where I live. I do however hope that is due time with a new fence and my starting her on  a leash until she is fully trained and hopefully not jumping anymore will help.
Samantha

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
she need more playtime maybe? with other dogs? maybe shes bored in the yard? alot of dogs are like that..and boxers get bored so easily...

:)just tryna help..

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well we have had weekly play dates at her breeders house. She has a friend there plus mommy and daddy. Well there are a total of eight all together. But we do that then we go to my grandmas weekly and she plays there. We take trips to the store(petsmart). I try to do a lot with her. I know she is the only one right now so I try to makes sure she has playtime with others. She starts conformation on wen and her obedience on the 28th so hopefully that will also help.
Samantha

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama\";p=\"49906 said:
she need more playtime maybe? with other dogs? maybe shes bored in the yard? alot of dogs are like that..and boxers get bored so easily...

:)just tryna help..

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

I guess I should talk about earlier. I have been so upset about the way things have gone this week with haven because I am trying so hard and this week it has felt like it has done no good. (between her pooping everywhere and jumping the fence then running)ERRR! However when I read the comment earlier I felt as if I was being told I didn't watch her and just let her run. I think I let more of my emotion get to me on that than anything. I appreciate ALL your help and like I said I have made lots of new boxer friends you guys have been talking to me from the start, Commenting on how beautiful my girl is ect... I appreciate it and am thankful to have you guys awww lol  :lol:  I just was feeling down earlier about everything but after the help and advise I  have gotten I am just going to take my ten DEEP breaths and try again each time. I am already planning for a trip to petsmart in the AM to get her a yard leash. Ok well again thanks a million everyone.

EVEN THOUGH I DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE HER FEEL LIKE SHE DOESNT HAVE TO BE MAD WHEN I LEAVE AND PUT HER IN HER CRATE BECAUSE I AM GOING TO HAVE TO CRY  :lol:  IF SHE KEEPS POOPING ALL OVER HER SELF.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The yard leash should really help.Angel has a 50 ft tie out that we use for now. That also makes it easier when you do outside recall training as well...Keep telling yourself, she is a puppy, this too shall pass. Obedience training will help a lot with this too. Most of all, don't let her sense your stress and frustration, it feeds right back to her. When she sees you get upset, it's almost like she has accomplished her goal of getting your attention. Believe me, I do know it's easier said than done at times, just keep at it and we are here for you as well..

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think the running thing is trait that I have seen with the 2 boxers that I have known.  It is frustrating I know, I dont have any advice but good luck, hopefully it will get better.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't think a boxer can jump over a 6 foot fence, that would be just insane!  I think many boxers can get their head up to around 6 foot (my height) but I couldn't imagine a boxer's whole body jumping and clearing a 6 foot fence.  My fence is 7 foot... but like I said, I couldn't see 6 foot being a problem either.

FWIW I spend a lot of time training Lola off leash and she too occasionaly runs off.  She's never ran "away" but she'll run down 2-3 houses into my neighbors back yard to play with their dog and not listen to me calling her, which IMO, is "running off" enough for the purposes of this discussion (although it's much different than a dog that runs around the neighborhood and you can't find it).  To a large extent I think you have to put your dog into position to make these mistakes and then train them not to do it.  I often see and hear people talking as if they'd never put their dog into a position to fail, but then again their dog, IMO, is limited in how well trained it is.

I think you'll get through it Sky, Lola has gotten a LOT better from the time she was around 4-6 months old to where she is now, 13 months.  I can come home from work now and walk her around the neighborhood with no leash because she listens so well.  I don't do this too often because there are risks (i.e. cars) but you have to evaluate the risks in your situation and determine what's acceptable and what isn't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts