Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 year Boxer had a seizure this past weekend, my husband and I were a nervous wreck. He had three grand mal seizures in about 5 hours time. We rushed him to the pet emergency. After a serious of tests and blood work the vet dteremined it is idiopathic epilepsy. They wanted to do a MRI but we don't have the extra 2 grand for that right now.. They started him on Phenobarb and the seizures are controlled. I am wondered if anyone has any stories of side effects there dog experienced when initally put on the pheno. Our dog is so disorientated. He knows his name and the sit command but thats about it. He won't go poop outside just pee. He will only poop inside. His tail isn't wagging and he drools all the time. I talked to the vet and she said its all normal for the first couple of weeks of the medicine. I don't want to seem paranoid but just wonder if anyone else had similar experiences? I just want my baby back!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.  So sorry to hear about the seizures, I am sure that someone on here has had some experience and they will be able to give you some information.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh my, I am so very sorry...I honestly don't know anything abouts the effects of Pheno on Boxers, hopefullt Sharon can shed some light on this for you....Hoping that it controls the seizures & welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
First off, welcome aboard.  I wish I had the answer your searching for, but I don't.  I hope your little guy gets back to normal asap.  Hopefully SharonL will see this and chime in.  She's a vet and I'm sure she'll be able to tell you the side effects, etc. of the perscription that your boy is on.  Neither of our dogs have had a seizure, I'm heard of it, and I'm sure it's a terrifying experience.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
wlcome to the forum, i am sorry to hear about your boy, i don't have any experience with what you are going through.i am keeping you all in my thoughts. please keep us posted on what is going on.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I missed this one earlier and sorry to hear you are having a hard time, but hang in there. Phenobarbital is the best med to control you did not indicate the dosage maybe 32 mg??.

It takes two weeks for Phenobarbital to reach a steady level after starting so be patient it will get better :)

The best test that all is going well and the dose is right is whether your dog is still having seizures. Having only one seizure a month is considered good control, but we try for none to a few a year.

There should be blood test to determine the levels at different times.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Salt Lake and I'm very sorry to hear that your boy has developed this problem.  I had a dog with epilepsy some 20 years ago and it broke my heart to see him suffer.  They put him on the phenobarbitol as well but he really suffered with terrible side effects and they never did get it under control.  We lived in a 4 level house and the poor thing couldn't go up or down stairs, he would cling to me like glue and I'm sure he was very frightened about what was going on.  We finally had no choice but to let him go.  I'm sure they have made alot of progress in 20 years and this was a very small dog.  We're sending lots of healing vibes your way and hope like Sharon explained that you can get his seizures under control.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this with your boy. Unfortunately I do have experience with this, my last boxer Buster was put on pheno for seizures. I know how heartbreaking it is to watch your baby go through all of this. I think the first eight weeks were the worst. The excessive thirst and peeing never did cease with him while he was on the pheno, but the lethargy, drunkeness will get better. Buster used to get really wobbly, just as if a person is really drunk. He used to walk into walls, and stumble. He would just be walking across the room peeing, and I don't even think he knew he was peeing. It's all trying to find the perfect dose of pheno to control the seizures and still have some life in your boxer. If I remember correctly, the first blood test to check his pheno levels were at 2 weeks, and then at 4 weeks, then I had one done every 6-8 weeks. It does take some time to get the correct levels, so just hang in there. His kept recurring so the vet put him on potassium bromide along with the pheno. I also had a few rescue dose's of diazepam so that I could administer that while he was having a seizure to try and prevent cluster seizures from happening. I hope that you are able to control his seizures with the pheno, and that you will never have to witness another one. Good luck to you, and please keep us updated. Here are some links that were a big help to me while I was going through all of this.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=433

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... cleid=1458

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Graves.html

http://www.purelypets.com/articles/epilepsyarticle.htm

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/epilepsy.html

·
Registered
780 Posts
So sorry to hear about your baby.  It is so hard to see them suffering.   Hopefully they can get the dose leveled off and that will help.  We have a cat who has been on phenobarb for about 4 years.  It did take a little while when he was first diagnosed to figure out the level he needed.  For us they started with the smallest amount and we worked from there.  He still had seizures for a little while but now is down to just a few a year, he does sleep alot but he is also pretty active (when he is awake  :D ).  We give him half a pill twice a day one at 8am and one at 8pm.  It really is VERY important to keep them on a firm schedule, I know that when we went on vacation my mom was giving him the pills but didn't make sure he actually swallowed them.  When we got home he had a seizure the next day because he wasn't getting all his pills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your comments and prayers. Its been three days since we bought him home from the vet and he is doing much better, still no tail wagging, not sure of commends, slighty disorientated but better then day 1. Sharon,  we do plan on having the pheno blood level test in 2 weeks. He takes 2pills/twice day at 60mg each. He is a large boxer! I just pray that things will get better, I feel like he is depending on me to figure out what is wrong with him and he is helpless...

Thanks again.. I will update again in a few days!

Danielle

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's good news, hoping that he continues to do well.....Give that sweetheart a big hug for me, bless his heart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well its been 7 days since he has been on the Phenobarb and he is doing much better. His tail is starting to wag, he is starting to run in the back yard and finally today we heard him speak for the first time in a week! So we will continue to pray and keep on with his treatment. Thank you all for your thoughts, comments and prayers. I will report back again soon.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
That is wonderful news! So much to be thankful for!  :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts