Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know opinions vary and this has probably been talked about to death! I did spend sometime searching the site for this particular topic but never found anyone asking the exact same thing! So I gave up and thought I'd just start a new topic :wink: !

Awhile back if you remember we switched Ace over from Purina to Blue Buffalo. He like the Blue, kinda anyways. I am somewhat satisfied with the food. But there are sooo many others that seem better! Ace has a stomach like iron :roll: . No problems EVER when I switch foods on him. He could do it cold turkey if I wanted to. Lol, so I want to try Taste of The Wild- the salmon one so the protein isn't too high. I gues my main question is, is it bad to switch it up often? If I am always sticking with generally high grade food and his stomach is like a tank, and he likes it all, then is it bad?

And I have been toying with the idea of going raw. Although I haven't really researched it alot and I'm not sure of the amount of work or money it will take. The concept sounds interesting to me. I even told my husband about it and he was kinda interested. :D  I guess sometimes I know it has to get boring for Ace to eat the same stuff all the time and he likes everything...so why not mix it up?!

Sorry to  :[email protected]

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ditto. I can't answer the question but i feel the same as you :)  I've just changed to a food that costs double what i used to get. Now he's on Pro Plan lamb & Rice but he most definitely prefers the cheaper Royal Canin stuff that has a stronger smell :roll:  Like Ace Voltaire has no allergies or problems adapting to a new food so i was cosidering trying Orijen when he's finished the 15kg bag of Pro Plan. Don't know if it's bad to do this or if like you said it might be ok to mix different kibbles together? :?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
well heather said that when she fed kibble she would find like 3 he liked and would rotate them

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Here is a good article on rotating Kibbles and its benefits -

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-ofte ... foods.html

Also for info on raw - we put together some great links here  -  http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2102

I always suggest to start out by reading a book on raw feeding.  Dr. Billinghurst's "Give a dog a bone" is a great starter.  Helps you understand the diet as well as what is require (ratios, etc) for it.  Then after that, can start if you decide its something you want to do.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HannaBanana\";p=\"115370":3ta9cedl]Here is a good article on rotating Kibbles and its benefits - [url="http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-often-should-i-change-foods.html said:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-ofte ... foods.html[/url]

Also for info on raw - we put together some great links here

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to update!

We are loving Taste of the Wild!!! Oh and he is sooo soft and shiny now! Eye boogies have gotten better, too. And you ought to see him shake his little booty when it's feeding time :wink:  Yaaaa!

On a side note I am going to the bookstore this weekend and picking up some of the books suggested to me on feeding raw.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
[quote="caillou\";p=\"115347":1oms01s7]Ditto. I can't answer the question but i feel the same as you :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's great it's working out so well for him..Sometimes it does take time to find a food that works...Taste of the Wild is a good food :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's suuuuch a trooper! His little (or big! 8O ) tummy can handle anything! I marched him in front if my husband tonight and made him cuddle Ace to prove how soft he really was :wink: . I can't wait to go to the vet in a couple of weeks and see how much he weighs! Not like we've ever had a problem with weight gain tho :roll: ! Ya, know after reading more about the breed standard he isn't going to truly fit it, he is already edging close to average adult weight. But he's not fat, just a big boy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts