Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like that they are willing to give you some information over the phone rather than making you come in for every little thing. They are costly for this area, but I think it's worth it. Brady had a tick again yesterday and I made a mess getting it out. I saw it wiggling around and tried to pull it out real quick without grabbing any vasoline...the tick was burying itself in his skin and it's hard to get him in a good position, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it out so I just pulled. Of course, it broke in half, head still in the skin and this morning there was a big welt. We put antibiotic cream on it but I figured they would tell us to come in....she told me everything to do over the phone and that was that.  yeah!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
It is always wonderful to have a great vet. I am happy with the one we take Reese to. It is an older married couple who run a small clinic...they only have 2 maybe 3 exam rooms. Just husband and wife are the two vets working-a real friendly environment. I love it so much better than the really big clinics that have a different vet working everyday and you never know who you are going to get!

·
Registered
780 Posts
It is nice to have a vet like that, most will say we can't do anything over the phone and make you come in.  Ours is really great like that too, if it is something they can do over the phone they usually do, they even called us on a Sunday several times to give us updates when our Calli was in there for surgery (she was was almost 15 at the time) so it was nice to know how she was doing and what was going on.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Do not put vasoline on a tick to smother it.  Don't use matches either!  That causes ticks to  basically vomit there contents inside the wound/greater chance of infection.  The best way to remove a tick is to use tweezers.  Make sure you get the whole tick.  Also keep the tick if possible, put in a jar with alcohol if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I did not realize that it causes them to vomit...hmm...my husband has always told me to use it because it causes the tick to back out if it has started to enter the skin, making removal easier, avoiding the head getting stuck in there. At the point when I was trying get it out, the head was already buried, so I did end up losing the head in there.  The vet said this is a common issue and that the welt I see is common and is the dog's immune system's way of trying to push it out. She said to just keep applying the antibiotic cream and to give him a bit of benedryl (he had scratched at it a bit) for tonight.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I have to agree with all of you who love your vet....I think Fiona has the best Vet in the world  :lol:  :wink:  :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts