Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, we've been on the market for a puppy, we have been looking high and low for the right breeder.

I found a breeder here in Kansas that does all the proper screening I'm looking for, tests for DM in Mom and dad and pups. Tests the hearts, hips and thyroid. They just had a litter this week and had 4 males and 4 females. 4 of the pups are white. I talked to the breeder and he said they were just wanting to get the dogs good homes. They are only selling the white boxers for $250. My question is, how can it be possible to get all those tests done and tails docked and dewclaws removed for $250? Would they just be selling the dogs "at cost" because it's hard to find a home for white boxers? The Mom and Dad are both champions well breed with good papers and bloodlines and I found their site here on the Boxer forum, he's been breeding boxers for the last 30 years. I just don't know if I should be worried about too good of a deal. We just want a healthy happy pet.

My other question is, if a white boxer is deaf, when do they show signs of this?? We aren't ready for a deaf dog, and my husband is SUPER concerned about getting a white boxer and having him become deaf. We've had boxers for the last 6 years and feel like that's a bit much to take on at this time in our lives. What I've been reading is that the dog will show signs of being deaf within the first 8 weeks... before they would come home. Is that true?

Thanks everyone for your time. I really just want a happy healthy pup, money isn't an issue (within reason).

·
Super Moderator
6,980 Posts
Do you have proof of health testing from both parents? And do you have pictures of those parents? $250 doesn't even cover the food, vet bills or registration for one puppy. It doesn't add up.

If you aren't ready for a deaf puppy then stay away from white puppies. Usually puppies are deaf by 4 weeks of age. There are two types of deafness . You can read about it more here:

White Boxers

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
what Kari said.. But i have read this before and I guess maybe someone can clarify, but I have read that Respectible Breeders, should never or would never sell a white puppy as rare or one of a kind and Hike the price, that infact a good breeder would normally sell a white puppy for cheaper and only charge the pricing to cover any and all vet bills. I think it was 50% less than a fawn or brindle pup, but like i said I am not sure if this is even a little true! are the other pups 500.00? maybe that's it..I did read some breeders killed the white puppies and some may still..but hey cant believe everything you read on the internet

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was only 2 non white boxers in the litter, they had 8 pups total. They want to keep the the colored pups for showing and breeding. The other pups are usually $800-$900.

Is it proper to ask why so cheap? I don't see how all the screening and what not can be so cheap. What kind of questions do I need to ask him?

What I've been reading is by 8 weeks old we will be able to tell if the pup is deaf or not. Is that right? Deafness happens in the first 6 weeks.

I have seen pictures of Mom and Dad. I wish I could upload them on here... Hi-Stand Boxers here's the website, the dad is "Collen" I don't remember who he said the Mom was.

Anyways, I'm just not sure. I don't get a bad feeling about them, but it seems too good to be true. They want a spay/neuter contract for pets which is fine, we just want a pet and neuter at 6 months anyways.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There was only 2 non white boxers in the litter, they had 8 pups total. They want to keep the the colored pups for showing and breeding. The other pups are usually $800-$900.

Is it proper to ask why so cheap? I don't see how all the screening and what not can be so cheap. What kind of questions do I need to ask him?

What I've been reading is by 8 weeks old we will be able to tell if the pup is deaf or not. Is that right? Deafness happens in the first 6 weeks.

I have seen pictures of Mom and Dad. I wish I could upload them on here... Hi-Stand Boxers here's the website, the dad is "Collen" I don't remember who he said the Mom was.

Anyways, I'm just not sure. I don't get a bad feeling about them, but it seems too good to be true. They want a spay/neuter contract for pets which is fine, we just want a pet and neuter at 6 months anyways.

I don't seen anything about health testing on the website. Have you spoken to them about the testing and are they going to provide the results to you?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, those were my first questions in my original inquiry. I just asked about health screening for heart, thyroid, hips and screening for DM. I'll ask if I will be giving the results.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, those were my first questions in my original inquiry. I just asked about health screening for heart, thyroid, hips and screening for DM. I'll ask if I will be giving the results.
The breeder should be willing to provide hard copies to you of the test results. If it were me, I would ask to see the results before entering into a contract.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good. I don't know the more I think about it the more anxious I get about it. So... probably not going to do it. I don't want to be anxious or feel like I'm making a bad decision to save a dollar you know? It's a pet, a friend, a life, not something to decide half hardheartedly or with reservations. I still have plenty of time to think. We're not in a rush. The main thing is to find a happy healthy new family member.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Our situations are similar but prices are a bit different. Our white boy Chase is coming from a show breeder next month. DM, thyroid and hips done with documentation. He is from a litter of 9, 3 of which are white Chase is the only white male. Colored pups going to show homes are $1500, pet homes $1200 and whites are $600. He will come home around 10 weeks. The breeder prefers that the pups stay with her for 12-14 weeks but we lost our dear Donner this week and she know how a puppy would help our hearts heal. I don't think reputible breeders ever make any money off their litters regardless of price once you figure in time, effort and personal expense but $250 seems a bit low? I would ask for records and perhaps references?
As to deafness you should know by 6-8 weeks. Also there are some theories that while 12-18% of white boxer are deaf, the ones with blue are more likely to be hearing impaired? I have many friends with deaf dogs and they aren't really any different -every boxer I've had for 25 years has pretended to be deaf at one time or another :chatterbox:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-every boxer I've had for 25 years has pretended to be deaf at one time or another :chatterbox:
SO True! We'll I'll ask around. Things in Kansas with pricing and things tend to run lower for whatever reason. I'll ask about references and if I'll have documentation of the health screening and things. No sense in looking away without all the information.

Thanks so much everyone!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds good. I don't know the more I think about it the more anxious I get about it. So... probably not going to do it. I don't want to be anxious or feel like I'm making a bad decision to save a dollar you know? It's a pet, a friend, a life, not something to decide half hardheartedly or with reservations. I still have plenty of time to think. We're not in a rush. The main thing is to find a happy healthy new family member.
The only way to know for sure is to ask, and if they hesitate, well then you pretty much have the answer. If they can and do provide the results, you can still think it over as long as you haven't entered in a contract. Good luck no matter what you decide.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am picking my white boxer puppy up tomorrow. I was worried about deafness as well but he doesn't seam to have any hearing issues. You can try and test it on your own, there are ways like clapping your hands or whistling while he is looking the other way to see if he reacts to the sound. $250 seams really low but if you go and see him and the breeder and everything checks out, i'd say go for it. My white boxer was priced at $650 then reduced to $400 because of his age. He is now 4 1/2 months. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do! I haven't asked more questions yet. We're still not sure what to do about Bozzer, he's aging and failing he has Degenerative Mylopothy and he's still able to get around... but having issues with it. We don't know how long he'll be with us, and don't really want to have 3 boxers in our house!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Four is a lot to find homes for in one litter, so if he is willing to show you the tests I would go for the pup. Possibly he is feeling good to find his white such a good home. I bought my girl from a breeder at 4 yr old. and she has recently offered me a white at no charge to get him a good home. I am waiting til he is at least 6 weeks to commit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can you go visit the premises? I wouldn't commit until I could see the area, the adult dogs, etc.

I would ask why the white puppies are so cheap (probably not in those words hah). I wouldn't cross the out until I saw things with my own eyes first.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Our situations are similar but prices are a bit different. Our white boy Chase is coming from a show breeder next month. DM, thyroid and hips done with documentation. He is from a litter of 9, 3 of which are white Chase is the only white male. Colored pups going to show homes are $1500, pet homes $1200 and whites are $600. He will come home around 10 weeks. The breeder prefers that the pups stay with her for 12-14 weeks but we lost our dear Donner this week and she know how a puppy would help our hearts heal. I don't think reputible breeders ever make any money off their litters regardless of price once you figure in time, effort and personal expense but $250 seems a bit low? I would ask for records and perhaps references?
As to deafness you should know by 6-8 weeks. Also there are some theories that while 12-18% of white boxer are deaf, the ones with blue are more likely to be hearing impaired? I have many friends with deaf dogs and they aren't really any different -every boxer I've had for 25 years has pretended to be deaf at one time or another :chatterbox:
I know deafness is a serious thing, but..... Amen to boxers sometime pretending to be deaf:clap2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts