Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my... so the past few days dungy has been crazy... he chases the cats and bites at them till they hit him and he yelps, then he keeps going.  He will eat anything on the floor.  Whenever i walk he bites at my feet then when i try to just lay with him he wants to bite me.  When i tell him no he just barks at me and w/ everything he does he barks.  And now he goes to the door as if he has to go to the bathroom but just wants to try to run out the door and down this hill by my house.

He is almost 12 weeks and any time i tell him no he just barks and keeps doing it... i am going crazy lol... any advice or tips to help me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
haha-my advice is drink a nice stiff drink or glass of wine...depending on taste...and sit back and welcome to puppyhood!! :D he will get better over time. lots of positive reinforcement and treats when he does what he is told. also i would suggest leashing him when you take him out that way he isnt able to run off down the hill. best of luck :>

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love my little guy but he knows me too well and knows what pushes my buttons lol

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ekim was the same way as a puppy. I didn't own a sweater without a hole in it from his nipping. He turned out to be the best pet in the world. Now Delila is the opposite all I have to say is no and she stops in her tracks, she'll probably be the demon.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I know exactly where you are coming from, but despite how annoying these things are, the cuteness is soooo worth it.... I have two terrors at the moment, but I am loving every bit of it.

My hubby made a small kennel in the back yard and they go out for an hour or two at a time when I am trying to clean house and stuff like that.  They love it.  It gives them time to romp and play, roll in the dirt a little and they are safe in there space.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ugh i am just too scared to leave him alone anywhere unless he is in his cage... i might be too protective

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hailee is doing the sam now.. love it at times but others i feel like i need a drink lol :) i remember now why i was so glad when my last baby draik was all grown up :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
southerngirls\";p=\"47945 said:
haha-my advice is drink a nice stiff drink or glass of wine...depending on taste...and sit back and welcome to puppyhood!! :D he will get better over time. lots of positive reinforcement and treats when he does what he is told. also i would suggest leashing him when you take him out that way he isnt able to run off down the hill. best of luck :>
I agree with this as I am going thru similar things with have who is just turned four months. Whoo puppy hood is the best.
Samantha

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow that is so wierd Loki is doing the same thing. Except for with him when I tell him no barking he just growls at me and lays down, like "I don't want to but fine I will" Do dare walk through the house with baggy pjs or house shoes or you will be attacked.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Sounds like normal puppy stuff to me.  But if a puppy is pushing your buttons, what will a skin kid do?
The pup will only do what you let him do.  Henry is 14 months old and still bites at my husband's pants, but that is because my husband has always let him.  He has never bitten at me because he knows I won't tolerate it.
Good luck with the little guy. :wink:

·
Registered
219 Posts
im having the same problem.. harley loooooves to bark at me and argue.. and i can look at him and talk and he will argue back at me. and mimic what i try to say its sooo cute

but my question is i know this is all puppy stuff and someone said that they do what you let them do.. well harley is 10 weeks so what do i do when he jumps at my pants???

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree that it sounds like puppy hood and I remember those days.  One of my first post when Fiona was that age was "Do I have a boxer or a hearding dog" because Fiona was always nipping at my ankles and it drove me crazy.  She ran off and acted like she could not hear a word I was saying, would chew on stuff, flip her food dish over, jump out of the tub when I tried to give her a bath, run from me if I tried to put her in her kennel.....Aggggg......I spent many a time/hours on postings that Liz had done on here trying to figure it out and make sure that my dog was not the only hard headed one. :)

Now.....she is pretty much a perfect baby at 8 months old!!!!!  The only time she is in her kennel is if no one is home.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Blue still does the same thing and he is now 8 months.  We just ignore him when he does it and eventually he gets the hint.  He loves to do it in the morning when I'm getting ready for work.  He loves biting the bottom of my dress pants.  He has already ripped a couple pairs.  So I completely feel your pain.  It's aggravating and drives me insane.... But he is so flippin' cute I can't get mad at him!!!  I do discipline him but it's hard.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I guess I'm lucky my dog has never nipped at me.  That would drive me crazy.  Sometimes he'll open his mouth during play and sorta rub his teeth on my finger or something.  I won't even tolerate that, so he gets the "no bite" and playtime ends.  He does enjoy talking back and barking at me when he doesn't get what he wants.  Calmly ignoring or being generally indifferent of the situation seems to be the best approach....raising your voice or engaging him only escalates his level of protest.  I get him to sit (sometimes I have to help him) and calm down and then try to go back to getting him to do whatever I was trying to do in the first place.  I think it's just him testing me and he usually realizes I'm not giving in.  But yeah, welcome to the puppy stage.  It gets better, just stay strong!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i tried this new thing when he would try to bite my fingers... i would yelp really loud and it would startle him and he stops and licks me as if to say sry lol... i think i can take him being crazy over him not being good at potty training.... he is the best dog that i have had potty training wise.  He is 11 weeks, never pottied in his crate and will go sit at the door until i will let him out.

I wish he would leave that cats alone cause i have already found scratches from them on him

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola used to drive me crazy with the nipping at our hands and feet and pants and shoes.  I was told that's what they do because they're trying to get you to play.  He'll grow out of it.  It takes time though and a few rips in your clothes!  As for the back talking, well I don't think they ever grow out of that.  It's gotten better though, Lola used to growl when I tried to move her off the couch and into her crate, now she just gets up like she knows there's no use in fighting!  Lola too has done the "pretend I have to potty" thing, then run outside like a wild woman and just want to play.  In fact she did that the other night....about 9pm.....28 degrees....mom was not happy!  Kind of funny though, cause when you bring them in and a few minutes later they really do have to pee...you just don't believe them!
Good luck with everything.....enjoy the puppy stage....they turn into very stubborn teenagers quickly!  I don't know what's worse!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sounds like your baby is starting to test the limits and exert his personality.  Liz could probably give you some ideas on how to deal with the issues, but it just takes time and patience.  When he bites or does something you don't like, you can put him in a short time out so that he learns if I bite mom, I get removed from the room and that's no fun.  As soon as he calms down and behaves, praise him and give him a treat for being a good boy.  Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My pup is  going on 7 months and he still chases the cats from time to time. They're just puppy toys with claws to boxers. But don't worry he has calmed down a whole lot since we first got him, and I suspect he'll mellow even more with age.  I find taking him for long walks or to the dog park zaps his energy enough to make the cats a little too much effort to torment.

Cat scratches are just a bit of love training  and I'm pretty sure soon enough he'll get the picture.

Just my two cents.

Soccergk1987\";p=\"48033 said:
so i tried this new thing when he would try to bite my fingers... i would yelp really loud and it would startle him and he stops and licks me as if to say sry lol... i think i can take him being crazy over him not being good at potty training.... he is the best dog that i have had potty training wise.  He is 11 weeks, never pottied in his crate and will go sit at the door until i will let him out.

I wish he would leave that cats alone cause i have already found scratches from them on him

1 - 19 of 19 Posts