Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first explain my situation.  I am a stay-at-home mom to a 2y/o and I also have a 5y/o.  My husband works 60+ hrs a week.  We are going through a VERY stressfull court case.  And all of the ladies will understand this, I am in full-blown menopause.   :evil:  All this adds up to an ton of stress and sometimes depression.
Now for the Boxer part of my problem.  My husband bought me a puppy and my daughters a puppy for Christmas.  I know that his heart was in the right place but I'm not so sure where his mind was.  One is a lot of work two is insane.  He refuses to help me in the potty training. If I ask him to take them out, I get the old huff and eye roll bit.  Then he makes sure to remind me that they are my responsibility.  And of course my daughters are too young.  So, that leaves me.  If one of the puppies pees or poops in the floor, all are quick to point it out but no one is willing to clean it up.  
Sometimes when I just can't take it anymore I put the pups in their kennel.  But this isn't fair to them.  They are spending way too much time in there.  I know this isn't right but I'm at my at the end of my rope.  
I don't want to find them other homes but I'm not sure if I am able to give them the attention that they deserve.  I also don't know if I will be able to housebreak them.  
Will someone please give me some advice, words of encouragement or just tell me what I don't want to hear.  :cry:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Unfortunatly one pup never mind two is definatly a whole family reponsibility. Everyone should help. Did your husband think they would train themselves? It really would be a shame if you had to give them up because no one will help you. Really not a well planned thing hubby did, sorry to say.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I can understand that having 2 puppies is a tremendous amount of work for one person, even one is alot of work to train on your own on top of looking after your children.  
I think that every capable person in your home should be involved with the training and caring of these puppies. This is important for the puppies development if they are going to view the members of your family as the pack leaders. So when your husband is not working he should also get involved with the puppies.  You might also consider hiring a dog walker in order to release some of their energy and therefore making the training part alot easier. As far as the pointing out of the pp or poopoo goes the one that points it out should be the one to clean it up! and put the puppy outside right away so they can make the association that going pp or poopoo needs to be done outside.  Frequent trips outside also help for the association part of it, as puppies are quick learners and before you know it they will start asking to go out. Putting the puppies in the kennel is good for them to get used to it but they will need to be let out at least every 2 hours to go to the bathroom, however they do still need to interact with people.  Try and dedicate some time with them get your children involved and come up with a daily routine and stick to it.  This will get easier as the pups get older and more obedient.
I hope this helps somewhat.... it will be worth it in the end, boxers are wonderful dogs...and remember your husband should be helping you as much as he can, those puppies are as much his responsibility as they are yours.

hang in there, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I agree with all the above advice. It's important to stress to your family how much you need their help with the pups. Plus, I'd break my husband's arm if he ever blew off me asking him for help.
I dont believe your children are too young to help you with them. my daughter is 4, and when she wakes up in the morning, she makes her bed, opens the blinds in the house, cleans her room if there's anything on the floor, and she also helps feed the dogs, brush / bathe them, and I got her her own little swiffer vacuum thing so she can help me with some house cleaning as well.

most that stuff she just started doing on her own, without me even asking her to! So I suggest putting your kids to work for you! they're never too young to help even a little bit.
I'm sure once the pups get a little older, it'll be more fun then stress. getting through the puppy stage is the hardest part, but it's so worth it in the end.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
GabysDaddy\";p=\"69540 said:
As far as the pointing out of the pp or poopoo goes the one that points it out should be the one to clean it up!
hang in there, and good luck!
That's a nice thought.  But when my sister and I were young, mom said whoever finds it, cleans it up.  We just didn't say anything when we found it, so it just sat there.

Good advice ^^^ pup training needs to be done by the whole house.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
sorry to say, but I think mom / dad should be cleaning up the accidents. I don't want those germs on teeny little hands.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I also agree with what has been said....A nice, calm talk with hubby is in order first of all...Keep it light, not confrontational, even tho I feel your strees and frustration and totally understand....As he is gone soo much, he's not totally aware of what 2 puppies need or what damage they can do...Sadly, like Heather said, pups that are given as gifts are generally the first ones that get turned in to the shelter due to lack of thinking..Your kids are too young to really help, it's not something they can grasp, but ga,es, like Heather said are great....Check the Sticky topic I posted in the traing section about games to play teaching recall, your whole family can get involved in this, including the kids...As far as saying that they are your responsibility, remind him who is the one that gave the pups, he needs to step up and help out...It wouldn't be a hardship to him to do a couple potty training sessions, plus help with some basic commands and just play with those little cuties for a bit....

I always had to remind my ex when he got home at nite after working 10-12 hrs, that regardless of how tired he was, it's time to put work aside and pay attention to Buck & Tia, slowly he caught on and yes I was working as well :) ..Good luck and keep us posted on how things go

·
Registered
780 Posts
I agree with everyone else.  Hubby needs to know that being home full time with two young children is WORK and trying to fit two puppies into the mix is even harder.  At this point I would set up a schedule for the puppies to make sure they are getting the training and play time they need.  If you don't get them trained now you will have two full grown dogs using your house for a bathroom which will make the situation even worse.  If you really aren't able to work with your hubby and find a way to work together with the puppies and training them then finding a good home for them might be the best for your family and the puppies.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to suggest you take care of yourself - ie., get some medical attention for your menopause issues - harmones can be wonderful once you get get use to them.  Then sit down with your well-meaning husband and explain the facts of life.  You now have 4 young ones to look after and you need help.  If he is intent on keeping the puppies then he needs to help out with them or provide you with some help.  God bless you and good luck - keep us posted!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who responded.  Things have been much better today.  I kinda of lost my mind last night and set him straight.  Sometimes crazy gets a better response than nice.  :lol:   I started on a schedule today and came up with chore lists for everyone.  I know it will be a long road but I think I can handle it.  It makes it easier having folks like you to vent to and to look to for help.  Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
good luck....... all of the ladys who have posted have given you great information, with that said, I understand your fustration. Im a stay at home mom, with 3 girls 2 dogs and 2 cats....... i have no idea,  i think to myself all the time, sometime i wish i had the full time job, and he stayed home........ i would love to go crazy on him, sometimes, or just love to come home and eat supper, have all the clothes washed, kids done, and we wont even talk about the animals :lol:  Not to say I would do his job, but you know what im saying........... i guess it all washes out somehow........ anyway good luck, and if you ever need to vet just pm me

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad you got a good talk in and don't forget, we all are here to help you as well, even if it's just to vent >:D<

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"69883 said:
Sounds like you have great advice already and I just wanted to add good luck!!!!
I just ditto what Sharon said, best of luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts