Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to my neighbor and was reminded by her (a conversation she had with some one) that you can get a permit that allows your dog on certain public beaches. I previously remembered reading it online... here http://www.floridapets.net/pensacola.html

Quote from site...
"We were at Perdido Key yesteray and they do not allow pets on the beach. There were signs everywhere. There was a local woman with her Lab on the beach so we asked and found out that Pensacola allows HOMEOWNER'S with a paid certificate to have pets on some of the special permit beaches with their permit. This does not apply to renters or tourists. The fine without this permit is $500.00. So far Pensacola is the least pet-friendly place we have been." That's really sad if you ask me!

So while talking with my neighbor I figured it would be best to call Escambia County Parks & Recreation. I call the number listed and they transfer me to Parks and Recreation and the guy is a JERK! Is real short with me and states how he's never heard of such a thing. Then he proceeds to tell me he has a plaque right in front of him on the wall that states no dogs are permitted on any beaches... parks... etc... even ON LEASH! That A$$... I even read him the comment about how they said P'cola was the least pet-friendly place in FL.

I emailed floridapets.net and asked for any extra information because it would be helpful to figure out what the heck is going on and what is or isn't against the law, etc. Why I need help... well right now I'm really pissed off and fed up with the fact that I can't take my kids with me to the dog park because kids under 16 aren't allowed in and I can't take my dogs to the beach/park with my kids because no dogs are allowed! Instead of sitting here being upset and not doing anything about it... I want to do something about it!

I want to maybe get the "permit" idea passed or SOMEHOW MAKE PENSACOLA MORE PET-FRIENDLY!!! I have no clue HOW to go about this though... does anyone have any information... I'm sure I have to get a hearing at the court house or something... I'm sure a petition or something would help right...? Has anyone had to deal with this kind of thing before...? Any information would be GREAT!

Sorry this got so long! HELP ME PLEASE! Thanks for letting me vent too by the way!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
woooosaaaa!!  Deep breath my friend....I am sure we can find some info and if not I have a plan...you pack the kids, hubby, and odin and come live with us...... :D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I feel your pain.  The tourist trap called Virginia Beach doesn't allow any pets on the resort beaches during the touron season which is about to start and won't be over till september.  At least we can take them on some of the northern resident beaches as long as the stay on the leash at all times.  I can see if I can dig up some legislation for how we do it here that you can reference if you want.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woooosaaaa!!  Deep breath my friend....I am sure we can find some info and if not I have a plan...you pack the kids, hubby, and odin and come live with us.

LMAO! I MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE YOU UP ON THAT!! LOL

dan.daugherty\";p=\"109577 said:
I feel your pain.  The tourist trap called Virginia Beach doesn't allow any pets on the resort beaches during the touron season which is about to start and won't be over till september.  At least we can take them on some of the northern resident beaches as long as the stay on the leash at all times.  I can see if I can dig up some legislation for how we do it here that you can reference if you want.
That would be soooo great thanks!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Can I take my pet on the sand beaches or any adjacent areas?
City code 6-5. This is allowed during certain times of the year and under certain restrictions. During the "season," which is defined as the time period from 6:00 p.m. on the Friday before Memorial day through 6:00 p.m. Labor Day of each year, NO pets are allowed on the public beaches, the boardwalk or the grassy area west of the boardwalk between Rudee Inlet and 42nd Street. This restriction also covers any pet, other than a dog or cat, unless the animal is in an escape-proof container. This includes, but is not limited to, any mammal, bird, or reptile.

During this same period, pets are not allowed on any other public sand beaches except before 10:00 a.m. and after 6:00 p.m. It is unlawful to allow any pet to defecate on any public sand beach or litter the boardwalk or grassy area west of the boardwalk. In the event a pet defecates on the sand beach, the owner or custodian must remove the material defecated and dispose of it in an airtight container or wrapper and place same in a garbage receptacle.

Additionally, during the times pets are permitted on the beaches, the owner or custodian must carry a container of sufficient size and adequate design to remove and dispose of all feces deposited by the animal.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sorry Marie, that must be so frustrating.  I hope you can find something so that you can take Odin to the beaches.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dan... it will allow me to use that as a "look what they do"... I mean I'd be okay with the permit thing but now they don't even do that!?? Good grief!

Thanks Barb... it really is... I feel like he is my child too... and we have to leave him behind while the rest of the family goes out and has fun!

I told Cheryl that I could just make him a service dog then he could DEFINITELY GO EVERYWHERE WITH US! LOL :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to hear that Pensacola is so undog friendly.. I was unaware of that, when I was living in that area about 2.5 years ago we were actually in Alabama but worked in P'cola... I am not surprised to hear that Perdido Key is so against it... they are pretty uppity there at the Key lovely place but a little nose in the air, or at least the people I worked with were... I hope that you can find something that will help you to change the pet friendly-ness of P'cola around.  (Side not do you go to Lillian's Pizza I think that was the name of the place... oh how I miss that pizza!)

Good Luck!

G

·
0 Posts
sounds like odin needs to sign up for service dog training.  then you can take him anywhere!

G

·
0 Posts
At least you have a dog park, no where within many hours of us has one that I know of.  I have never even been to one.  We have a lot of lakes in our area, and most of them allow dogs there as long as they are leashed, the parks allow dogs as well as walking trails, but again, they must be leashed.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What a mess Marie, I was not aware of the fact that you were not allowed to take kids under 16 to the dog park(safety reasons?), but how frustrating...Hoping you can get some kind of a solution that is a good one  :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts