Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate moved out unannounced so now I am left with a sticky situation.  I got Ferris about 2 months ago, and my roommate has been helping me take care of him while I am at work.  The bad part is I am on shift work--12 hour shifts to be exact--and my schedule changes from week to week.  There is no way in the world I would even think about giving up Ferris because of this.  NO WAY!!  That being said, I am unsure as to what to do while I am at work for 12 hours a day.  Obviously I can't stick him in the crate for 12 hours, or even lock him in the kitchen for that long.  One of my neighbors offered to feed him and walk him when I work the day shift, but sometimes I work the night shift and I can't expect her to take the pup out in the middle of the night if need be.  
This really stinks, but there is no way I'm givin up my buddy just cause I have to work three days a week.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a million my fellow boxer fans.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well, I would suggest doggie day care, but I don't think they have 24-hour facilities.  

Oh, honey, I just don't know!  Alls I can do is pray for you and hope for the best!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Look around your area for a local dog walking company...we use aone and they also do overnights at a relatively fair rate. Maybe one would be willing to do a late evening job (our does, although we haven't need to do this).  Maybe request a longer time period.  We pay $15 for 30 minutes for 2 dogs, then we tip about $5.  I believe one dog would be $10 or something like that. Maybe they could come for an hour instead of a half hour.  It's an extra cost, but at least to hold you over until you find a new roommate.

Here are a couple of associations referenced on their website, maybe you can use it to find a place near you:

http://www.petsit.com/

http://www.petsitters.org/index.cfm

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We both work 8 hours and we found a wonderful dog walker that comes to our house to take care of our dogs during the day.    She spends about 45 minutes walking them/ playing and giving them treats I have on hand.  

She also will pick up any mess they make.  I pay 20.00 per visit for both my dogs.   Now if I only could get her to clean my house!!  ha ha ha.

I also have done doggie daycare.  My issue being that many of the facilities around here mix small and large dogs together.  Hanna can have some issues with very barky little dogs, so we have pulled her out of two separate daycares.  She loves being home esp with her new brudda!

Good Luck, its never easy, we all have to work, but hopefully you will find someone who can help you out!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice, and the suggestions.  I will have to do some money managing to be able to afford the overnight stays @ $50 a night, but anything I can do to not have to take my pal to a shelter is worth every penny.  Maybe I can hit the lottery and never have to work again.  Then I could get a huge house and a few more boxers!!  A man can dream, can't he??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts