Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. So I'm sure most of you have seen my devastating news about Asha. I'm not sure where to begin, basically I want to share every symptom she had in case it will help save one of your beautiful boxers.

I'll start from the beginning. It started when she was a puppy not even fully grown. About 6 months old. She was playing with my sisters dog and we hear this squirting noise and smell and awful smell. Blood has squirted out of her from somewhere. We thought maybe she had come on heat but already? Surely not. We figured out it had actually come from her bottom. This got me extremely worried. It was the beginning of my long road ahead of worrying about Asha. Now that I think about it, it was the beginning of the end.

So she become diagnosed with colitis and we soon arranged her diet for it. After a year of age we had no more problems with it.

At around the same age of her first onset of colitis (6 months) she was running around in the backyard with her beloved rope toy and she collapsed. She'd fainted. I ran over to her and scooped her up. She was floppy as hell. I ran her over to my partner who was is the shed. By this time she had come to, but was VERY pale and dazed.

She was out for a good 30 seconds.
So another trip to the vet we go. He took bloods and did an ECG which showed a bit of and abnormal heart beat but nothing too serious. He was concerned about her fainting he said whatever caused it it's not normal.
He told me how some dogs (mainly border collies ) have a tendency to faint with excitement he thought maybe it was that.

From that point in her life her heart was ALWAYS on the back of my mind. I knew from then that there was something wrong with my girls heart. The vet I was seeing about Asha he was and still is the best. He really understands dogs so I trusted him.

She had around 6 fainting episodes in her life (of just a short 2.4 years) which were always the same she came to but pale and dazed. Once the second episode happened we all knew something was up. They listened to her heart and never heard a murmur.

From the beginning of this year she started having more sick days then good. She became lethargic and her appetite was on and off. She still wanted to play up until her last day on earth. She started dribbling urine which cleared up for a while but came back in the last two months of her life. Full on. I mean like bed wetting every night and she'd just sleep in it. Her back legs weren't like they used to be. She could never jump to the heights she could before. Her jaw got really sore at one stage but after around 10 days got better. The vet truly was puzzled by her, never had not been able to solve dog issues before, she seemed to find one thing after another. I was at the vets almost every week or second week this year. We did ultra sounds and urine cultures and full bloods everything was normal!

The night before she died (Saturday night) her heart beat was very rapid, she was laying on my lap and my instincts knew this was not right. I read up on how to count BPM which the normal rate for her size is 160. It was beating almost too hard and fast to count but I got it. It was around 210. But it was 3am. There was nothing I could do but wait until morning. Sunday morning came and I was awoken by three very rapid inward breaths from Asha it was like she was gasping for air (which now I know she actually was) her heartbeat stopped and her breathing stopped but before we knew it she was coming to again. Her tongue and gums were white, I'm talking the-same-colour-as-her-fur-WHITE! But her colour returned. I paced the house and rang the vets who instructed me to count her BPM which was still at 210. So she said "bring her in" I knew being a Sunday it was just her there.

She died at the vets of cardiac arrest. She had two which I managed to save her from by chest pumping while the vet was giving her adrenaline and trying to get a tube down her swollen throat. But the third was all too much for her for her and she passed away. This is still a very raw subject as it was only 2 days ago. You might think I'm writing this like I'm over it. I'm not. I'm absolutely shattered. I mean like I feel the pain of heartbreak in my chest everytime I think about her and hear her name and see her photos. My mind relives the moment at the vets again and again. It was just me and the vet. No one else because we were in there after hours. She had called on my main vet to come in but by the time he got there she'd passed. He told me that what had happened at home that day was actually a cardiac arrest but she managed to come out of it herself. So really she had 4. She did so so well to recover from 3. I mean a human would barely be able to do that. 4 in a day is just too much for a body to handle.

I'm writing this so it might help save someone else's dog. The vets say now almost everything that happened with her over time was related to her heart and that they are very sorry they didn't pick it up sooner to get her on the meds. Honestly when I think about it, if she'd even lived another year, or two or three, what would her quality of life been? Would she be living in pain? Would she have gotten worse? Because I sure as hell don't think she would have got any better. Even on heart meds, she was already on three three types of medication, a dog shouldn't live like that. And as traumatizing as Sunday was for me, the fact that she died on her own accord in the end meant we didn't have to make THAT decision. Because at the end of the day it was gonna come to that.

REST IN PEACE, ASHA. You were truly the best dog anyone could of asked for. You were so unique and I love you for that. You were seriously a sweetheart. You were the best listener and you knew our boundaries. You loved water and balls and mix the two together and you were the happiest dog alive. I'm so sorry that everything happened the way it did for you honey. We honestly tried our best to save you and you were a fighter but in the end your heart was just not strong enough for you. I love you forever boofhead.

One day, we will meet again.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1430172162.544603.jpg

·
Registered
388 Posts
My heart is breaking for you. My old girl had heart issues as well but we were lucky and she made it to 12 years - we called her our ticking time bomb. Thank you for sharing your story I know it will help! Stay strong and try and remember all the good times you shared. ❤

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So sorry that you and your pup had to go through so much in her short life. I know she felt love and gave love and earned her wings :angel:. Take care

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

My little girl also fainted shortly after turning 1. The vet said it is probably idiopathic epilepsy (meaning they don't know what causes it). He ran all the tests and everything came back fine. After reading up on this, I found an excellent study done in Europe which found that boxers were the top breed for epilepsy; that most dogs die within 1.5 years of first incident; and that most dogs show first incident around 1 year old. Pretty sucky odds for my girl. But she has always had very delicate digestion, so she's just not very robust health wise.

When I was at the vets, I met a man who lost his boxer boy at 3 to cancer, despite doing everything possible to save him. The vet, and all the research, confirm that even on meds, most dogs with something like this don't live long. We've decided that we will focus on quality of life for our little girl. And are aware that we might lose her very soon. But we just give her the best life we can, for as long as she is with us.

You did that for your little girl and she lived every moment to the fullest. In the end, that's the most any of us can wish for.

A hug and kiss for you, from us, over here on our side of the world. :kiss:
It might take a while for you to grieve your loss. Be gentle with yourself.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
You don't need to explain we get it! And thank you for sharing! That is an impressive performance on your part.

The part where you keep reliving the experience? First hand experience with that...PTSD! If that keeps happening for more than a week or two then yeah seek help!

So sorry for your loss I was well as many others were pulling for you both. :(

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thank you for this post, especially at this most difficult of times for you... it may save others. You remain in my thoughts & prayers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are no words - I am absolutely heartbroken for you. What an amazing mama you are; you did everything you could to help figure out what was going on with Asha. May she run free without any pain.

Thanks so much for sharing your story.

Stephanie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sweet Angel

First, you are a good parent for doing all that you did for your baby who is now a sweet angel, happy and perfect, and waiting in heaven for the day you see her again.

Second, while it sounds like you followed all of your vet's suggestions and was vigilant in taking her to the vet when she had concerning issues, never be afraid to question your vet if they don't give a definitive reason for her episodes. If it is something they haven't seen before and can't figure it out you can always find a doctor that has seen it before and will figure it out. Just listening to a dog's heart doesn't answer all the questions and a cardiologist would have recommended an echocardiogram to visually see the heart and how it is functioning, especially given her history of fainting.

Our dogs need us to be their voice and even if your vet is the nicest person in the world you have every right as a boxer-parent to question them and pursue a second opinion.

I am grateful that I purchased pet insurance shortly after adopting my baby boy as we were in an out of the local pet hospital and vet's office all last year dealing with all of his medical issues. I don't even take him to his regular vet unless it is minor thing like a skin irritation or I need a prescription for his flea and tick treatment or heartworm medication. I take him to his Internal Medicine doctor and his Cardiologist for regular check ups and echocardiograms so that he sees those doctors specially trained for his issues.

You are a wonderful boxer parent and your baby knows you did everything you could for her. Sometimes they are not meant to be with us long but with us in our hearts forever. I wish you peace and comfort during this difficult time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My heart is sad for you on your loss of Asha. Please know that many people reading your story here are with you. Boxer kisses to you from Tennessee.

·
Registered
80 Posts
RIP Asha! I am so sorry for your loss! I'm sure the hurt of it will never truly go away but thank you so much for sharing your story so the rest of us experiencing similar things may learn. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss and all you went thru. It sounds like your poor baby may have had boxer cardiomyopathy :( I fostered a boxer puppy who was diagnosed with it and she had very similar symptoms to what Asha had. Again, so very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in tears reading this. My white boxer (9) passed away on April 24th..almost a year from Asha. It was the worst day of my life I just cry all the time. He had cancer and was doing good for the most part but the last 3 days before he died his eyes and gums were like you said..as white as he was. I guess it's a circulation thing. He was wobbly with his walks but was up, eating, and wanted to go outside that day. We went out and started a walk.. didn't even leash him he was too slow and we live on a no outlet street..but he kept resting in the neighbors grass. I felt so bad I asked my boyfriend to pick him up and carry him back home and he did but Lucky wanted down. Zach put him down and he walked for a second on his own. We were almost home and he fell over and died. It was horrible to see I was in shock and wanted to think he was just resting so I tried getting him up but that was it. My boyfriend came and picked him up and brought him to our yard so we could say goodbye then we took him to be cremated. Just got his ashes back today ❤❤ I know there's so much guilt and we all want to go think that there's something more we coyld have done but that thought will kill me. I guess it was their time..Lucky too soon for me cuz I know he has brothers and sisters from his litter still alive and that kills me..and Asha just too soon in general because she was so young. But I think no matter what it's always too soon. They are our family. Rest in peace babies 😢😢😢

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts