Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure is she does or not. She always seems to get this dry cough sounds when she gets extremely excited then calms down when she calms down, but this time it won't go away.
It almost sounds like something is in her throat.
I was under the assumption that it was something that they get when they are exposed to other dogs.
She is never around other dogs. I don't take her to dog parks, daycare or anything like that.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Hmm well your thought's are the same as mine?? The other dog's thing, sounds like you need to get her to the Vet, to see what the deal is. But get line as seeing the Vet is full of Convin19, hassle's these day's.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think you should take her to the Vets as well the dry cough thing could be a heart issue a chest xray will show if her heart is enlarged or it could be as simple as your house air is dry and she has a dry throat. I would definitely get her checked to be sure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wasn't aware that a cough could be heart issues 😟

I just looked it up and I'm a bit freaked out now. Because she has no exposure to other dogs. Our neighbors dont have dogs, and no one i know have dogs so its starting to look like kennel cough may not be the issues.
We're taking her to the vet today I keep you posted

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
If your neighbours dogs share a fence line with you then it’s possible she picked up kennel cough. You can try giving her a tablespoon of honey 2-3 times a day and see if it helps.

It usually runs its course in 10-14 days. If she still has a dry hack then I would schedule an appointment with your vet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opp i ment to say my neighbors DON'T have dogs.

Well she is on antibiotics for kennel cough but they don't know if that's what it is. They couldn't x-ray her cuz she is "to big" and their equipment is old so they couldn't get a clear pic. I think its because they couldn't control her and we're not allowed in because of covid.

So were going to give her the meds and wait 3 days to see if its doing anything then take her to another vet if she doesn't start to feel better.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
The antibiotics aren't going to do anything "IF," her lungs are clear?? But since they don't know ... better safe than sorry. :)

Is she still coughing "now??" I'm surprised they did not recommend a "cough suppressant??" Just coughing all the time ... can wear you out! I get a dry cough ever now and then when I smoke my tobacco pipe "Too much??"

And capsules of DEXTROMETHORPHAN , takes care of it. When I went to the ER in February, and they found I found I had pneumonia. And they said I couldn't walk or stand or move because my body was exhausted because of the struggle to breath. But I digress ... back to the coughing is it still happening?? If it is call them tomorrow and ask about a cough suppressant. So they gave me the Dextromethorphan and antibiotics.

And more info on this line of thought can be found here. :

And I can "narrow it down to this because you took him to the Vet and found at least some answers. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I totally agree with you chip.

She is still coughing and I gave her children's benalyn last night but I wasn't sure if I am able to give it to her now that she is on the other meds.

I've been thinking back over her past 4 years as I have been worrying and waiting to take her to the vet...
She has been coughing like this for a long time. I would even say going back at least a year. Before this past couple of days it would only happen when she got excited and we just chocked it up to her getting herself all worked up because it would go away but this time it didn't and that's why I'm no longer thinking it's kennel cough.
I fear it pneumonia or worse something with her heart.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
LOL, well it's most certainly a lot easier to play "Arm Chair Vet," after the fact! Hopefully it's not her heart!!

The Benadryl, won't hurt and it won't interfere with the antibiotics AFAIK?? But .. I don't think it is going to help either?? Benadryl is better for allergy's and insect bites ... stuff like that, it's not really about coughing.

But your on the right track! If you have "Honey," in the house?? You can try giving her a teaspoon of that. From what I read if the coughing is caused by an irritation in the throat?? If that is what is causing the coughing it might help?? And now that I know I might try a teaspoon of Honey myself. :)

And if the Honey does not work, mostly it means throat irritation is not really the issue?? So option two well you know call the vet of course and as him for a "Cough Suppressant!" The A-Hole should have prescribed it anyway in the first place but whatever ...

Now if he will prescribe a "cough suppressant??" Or screw it you don't want to call him, I am not much of a phone person myself ...

Plan B, go to the nearest discount store that also carries over the counter medications. I would look for the capsules that say "COUGH SUPPRESSANT." That's the med DEXTROMETHORPHAN. And it can come in tiny round capsules and it is listed strictly as a "Cough Suppressant" on the box. They are well under $10 bucks.

I did not know there was such a thing?? Until I was prescribed them by a "Doctor," many years ago for " coughing," yet again but I was sick that time. :)

And failing that?? Look for a "Children, Cough Suppressant Syrup." You want a day time formula! And you have to look close because mostly what you will see, will be Cough and Cold and or Cough and Flu." I can find the syrup at our local grocery store.

And lastly "Google," recommends "Children," strength but hey your dog weights most them most toddlers and you know a few female Persons! And this time size is an asset!

Now a cough suppressant is not an answer as to why are what is going on?? But constantly coughing is exhausting! And if it gets bad enough you can throw up or you know crack a rib! The Vet should have addressed that also but yeah if your dog gives them issues ... I imagine they can get distracted?? Sooo, I'll cut him some slack. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wasn't aware that a cough could be heart issues 😟

I just looked it up and I'm a bit freaked out now. Because she has no exposure to other dogs. Our neighbors do have dogs, and no one i know have dogs so its starting to look like kennel cough may not be the issues.
We're taking her to the vet today I keep you posted
My boxer she is only 4 and she has a cough as well, and I looked it up and I saw heart disease. I’m a 34 male and i broke down in tears I know heart problems is higher in the boxer breed and she is my only daughter. I wanted puppies from her not to make money off my baby girl but because when it’s her time to say good bye (which I wish never ) I would have one or two more with that similar personality she has.
she now has an ear infection which I know sometimes an ear infection can possibly be something more serious going on. But I am hoping for the best for yours and my mocha. I wanted to or probably willwrite a post asking if switching to a raw diet would help with any of this now.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mocha is very cute! Sometimes those cough things are just dry air too its cold out and people are using alot of heating sources that dry the air so sometimes its that. I didn't mean to alarm people but I have been thru the cough thing thinking it was nothing but it turned out to be something awful so just to be on the safe side its good to have that checked by a Vet, The news is sometimes not all bad, sometimes if caught early it can be managed even if it is something serious. I have a friend with a Boxer with DCM and he is now 7 on medication for his heart and still doing well. My previous dogs got DCM from grain free dog food and their conditions were found out when they were quite severe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awe mocha is cute and I'm loving the mask. Sorry to hear that your going through that.

I'm hoping the meds Gypsy is on will help but im not convinced. Her cough is not as constant but is still there. Her energy level is low and she is sleeping more, but coughing like that can wipe you out.

Fingers crossed that she will get better but im still no convinced that its kennel cough cuz there is no way she could have picked it up from anywhere.

She hasn't even gone for a walk in a month because we have been dealing with a injured paw so she is pretty much been house bound.

We'll see i guess

·
Registered
799 Posts
I really hope those meds work, is your house really dry do you use a woodstove or something to heat with? I know Canada is alot colder than the US so maybe a humidifier in the house?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's dry but I wouldn't say it's extremely dry. No fire place (although I want one )
So far it seems like the meds are working.

Is it possible to assume that since they do seem to be working that she has pneumonia since there is no way she would have come into contact with kennel cough?

·
Registered
799 Posts
It really could be just some sort of infection time will tell but to save yourself from worry maybe get a chest xray to make sure she does not have an enlarged heart usually xrays don't cost that much and can give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
If it's pneumonia ?? Then the antibiotics should make a difference. And even though she was a PIA and would not fit that Vet's x-ray machine.He should have still been able to listen to her lung's???

And while I have never done it??? It seems to me that should be able to put your head on her chest and listen to her breath?? If something is off, you should a wheezing sound .... I would imagine???

How in the cough bit going?? Has there been an improvement there???

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with you chip.

They did say that there may be fluid on her lungs. I've put my head on her chest and she does sound a bit weezy. The meds do seem to be helping.

She has had x rays there before so I think the vet could not control her and because of covid we are not allowed in the building to help.

Yesterday she had a bit of a set back. My mom came over and gyp got so excited that she started coughing again but ot for long. She was pretty wiped out that rest of the day after that.

She is really moody though. She doesn't really want anyone around her. I'm hoping it's just the meds and feel under the weather.

So far the meds seem to be working. So we decided that we will finish the meds and if symptoms return or some haven't gone away then were taking her to a different vet. I am going to look for a vet who has had experience with deaf dogs and isn't afraid or intimidated by a big dog

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Ok well if she does sound "wheezy," then she does "need," the Antibiotics! And if it's less then a 30 day supply?? It's not enough! And if they said give on an empty stomach?? Forget that! In my case "now," that was fine for about four day's?? And then my tummy started to bother me?? So I eat "something," now before I take them. Just a treat of some kind should be enough.

And the cough, if the vet, won't give you something?? Well I call BS, but that aside ... I would find a "Children's," cough syrup and give her that for a few day's. Day time formula.

I seriously doubt your gonna find a "deaf dog vet??" And "that," should make no difference anyway?? You need a Vet, that is not afraid of "real dog's," or you know large-ish dog's.

Boxer experienced would be preferable but my be hard to find?? But plan B, ask if they work with GSD's!! Lot's more of them around there are Boxer's. And (from what I have heard) "some," GSD's can be real "A-Hole's," at the Vet! Muzzles and drug's before a "vet," visit is not uncommon for those guys?? My "Rocky," had no "issues," with vet's, even thought ... he did not like people?? But yeah it was before "Covid," so I was in the room with him. But he was muzzled at first at my wife's insistence. But as I was there and after a visit or two ... I saw there was need for a muzzle, we ditched it.

But if a vet is afraid of a dog?? That dog is not gonna get the best of care, I would imagine?? So you might want to consider a muzzle if she is that bad?? Or yeah you know a vet that's not a "Candy A$$." :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok well if she does sound "wheezy," then she does "need," the Antibiotics! And if it's less then a 30 day supply?? It's not enough! And if they said give on an empty stomach?? Forget that! In my case "now," that was fine for about four day's?? And then my tummy started to bother me?? So I eat "something," now before I take them. Just a treat of some kind should be enough.

And the cough, if the vet, won't give you something?? Well I call BS, but that aside ... I would find a "Children's," cough syrup and give her that for a few day's. Day time formula.

I seriously doubt your gonna find a "deaf dog vet??" And "that," should make no difference anyway?? You need a Vet, that is not afraid of "real dog's," or you know large-ish dog's.

Boxer experienced would be preferable but my be hard to find?? But plan B, ask if they work with GSD's!! Lot's more of them around there are Boxer's. And (from what I have heard) "some," GSD's can be real "A-Hole's," at the Vet! Muzzles and drug's before a "vet," visit is not uncommon for those guys?? My "Rocky," had no "issues," with vet's, even thought ... he did not like people?? But yeah it was before "Covid," so I was in the room with him. But he was muzzled at first at my wife's insistence. But as I was there and after a visit or two ... I saw there was need for a muzzle, we ditched it.

But if a vet is afraid of a dog?? That dog is not gonna get the best of care, I would imagine?? So you might want to consider a muzzle if she is that bad?? Or yeah you know a vet that's not a "Candy A$$." :)
I have an older boxer that has developed a lot of wheezing/breathing as she's aged and the thing that has done wonders for her is CBD oil. I was giving it to her for the chance that it might ease a little of her joint discomfort and because she has a suspected tumor that is affecting her balance (all unrelated to your difficulties), but once I started giving her the CBD oil, she went from snoring like a dog that swallowed a trombone (even while awake), to sleeping so quietly that I actually had to go check her to make sure she was still breathing. I mean this is a dog that you can hear snoring through an exterior wall of the house, so the unexpected result was surprising. From the research I've done afterwards, the CBD oil can improve the lung capacity by reducing inflamation and reducing phlegm - as reported by the lung institute. Now my evidence is strictly anecdotal, but the difference is staggering. And, it's virtually impossible to give 'too much' or overdose. By weight, I think I'm expected to give her a couple of drops at meals, but I typically give her most of a dropper full (half dozen drops or so).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts