Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
CBD oil is not going to help heart issues and I would not give it to any dog I suspected might have a compromised heart or breathing condition in any way. Part of heart failure is fluid backs up in the lungs because the heart is not functioning properly and they do have a diuretic that will help clear out the fluid and help breathing I understand Gypsy is deaf and may not understand what they are trying to do to her by x-raying her so maybe you could find a better equipped Vet to help her out? I hope that all this is really nothing but having been thru the heart thing before twice I would strongly recommend getting her x-ray done. More complete tests may be recommend like a Holter test or EKG to further diagnose what her problem may be.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I agree that a vet who has experience with deafness shouldn't make a difference and your probably right, it probably has more to do with her size...that she is not a purse bitch lol

I never thought of giving her CBD oil, I take it myself for extreme arthritis and back injuries.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I definitely think it's a mix of everything on why she didn't get the best care.

Covid...she doesn't like masks and we can't be with her
Lack of experience with big dogs
Lack of experience with deaf dogs

She is still on antibiotics for a few more days but not sure what else we can do during this Covid shit. We are under a strict lockdown now.
I will hold off on the CBD until she is able to have more test done

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Gypsymom..keep in mind that pneumonia can sometimes be difficult to get rid of and she may need an additional round of antibiotics. There was a member here whose dog caught kennel cough which turned into pneumonia, his dog had several rounds of antibiotics before he got better.
I found this link this morning but there are so many cbd oils now I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thats what I'm afraid of, that the meds will be gone and it comes back a day or 2 later

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well she has finished her medication this morning, hopefully it doesn't come back.
We'll see

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Listen to his chest. The antibiotic period I would say based on "my' going to the ER, for a "Cat Bite" Is way to short?? Another story but I was under prescribed and as soon as I stopped them (prescription ran out) the infection came back hard! And I landed in the ER and they though they were going to have to amputate my finger!! Now they did not have to but it was a $10000 ER visit, because I was under prescribed antibiotics!

More than needed, is not going to hurt her but less than needed will! Play the Covid thing to you advantage and just tell the vet "you think you need more!" Sounds like he won't to see her anyway, so he way just say WTH and whatever. :)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Standard is antibiotics are prescribed for 10 ten days and you should take them the full period of time as prescribed, and around the same time for them to be most effective. If any indication is there that still sick then you should be proactive and call the vet back. Two years ago my daughter got sick with bronchitis, was on antibiotics for 10 days and during that time didn't get better, went back and was again prescribed another round, both were at a urgent care, and was told if you are not better this round please go to your primary , well she did and she still had a infection in both lungs (lower lobe) and a tumor that was found accidentally due to a cat scan. Two different antibiotics and other medicine plus surgery cleared it. But it took well over a month. So always be proactive with your pets and yourself.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Well this is late?? But yeah under prescribed antibiotics, from a Urgent facility, is exactly how and why I ended up in the ER! I'm glad your daughter was OK, but yeah ...

How is Gypsy doing now???

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone,

Thankfully she is doing much better and now that I'm aware that they are prone to heart issues I am more informed going further.

Thank you so much for all the help and support

21 - 34 of 34 Posts