Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fostered/rescued/purchased over 50 dogs in my life (so far) and loved them all but there was one that completely stole my heart and I will never get it back, and he was a rescue boxer. I won't go into the details but I had him for 10 years and have never gotten over the loss. I have a tattoo portrait of him on my arm - my only tattoo. I rescued another dog about 6 months after I lost him but always knew I'd want another boxer when my heart was ready. I think I'm ready. I am actively involved with a boxer rescue society and they have some pups available. Here are a few of my emotional struggles:
  • I have always preferred male pets over female. Not sure why, just always have. I just seem to feel a closer bond with the males, but common sense tells me that at this stage of my life, a female would be a more practical choice. It would be totally unfair to adopt a female if I don't ever feel that bond with her so it scares me and I'm torn.
  • The photos of the available litter have me wondering if both parents were actually boxers, and no, that doesn't and shouldn't matter (my other two dogs are not boxers) but since this one is my final rescue tribute to my beloved Baxter, I want it to grow up looking and acting like a boxer. Please let me know if it's OK to post a few pix of the available litter and give me your thoughts. It's obviously hard to know what a puppy will grow up to look like but I'd like the best chance that I will see "boxer" in the adult version. :)

Thanks for listening.
Sue

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Well first welcome aboard! And thank you for your hard work rescuing/fostering dog's. I did that to briefly, but the "part about letting them go?" Was just to much for "us." It was just heartbreaking for us to let them go? And know three my first "Working line GSD," was way more dog than I expected?

He had uh, "People Issue's," for one, it worked out in the long run for us. But he took us out of the "Foster bit," he was a great dog (in the long run) but not one that could easily transition to another owner? But he worked out fine for me.

Very unlike my White Boxer Struddell, who luv'd everyone! She never met a stranger she did not like? I kinda thought ... all dog's were like that but apprently not?

Anyway Welcome Aboard and of course pictures are welcome. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chip, thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Yes, fostering is hard, and I've failed several times (I've got the t-shirt to prove it!) But I try to agree to short-term fosters so I can keep my mindset in check. I also spent years being a "hospice" for a few rescues.... provided a warm, safe, loving place for senior dogs to live out their days, but THAT took too much out of me emotionally so I limit that now, too.

I have to travel starting tomorrow so I can't even meet the prospective new pup until next week - this gives me time to figure out why I feel so strongly that I need a male dog rather than a female. If I come to the conclusion that it must be a male, the rescue has a few of those, also, they just aren't located in my state - I was taking that as a sign that I should be adopting the female that's nearby. I'll watch for my signs from the Universe. :)
Sue

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Sue
Welcome. I’m with you regarding my preference for the male boxers. I too have had many experiences with females (mostly rescue) and I simply will never adopt one as I so much prefer my boys :) I personally think they are more loving :)
I have to ask why “at this stage in your life is a female more practical”?
I too adopted a boxer mix 2.5 yrs ago) after losing my last boxer- tired of losing them all to cancer. I love my boxer mix but he does not have many boxer personality traits; no wiggle but, no kisses, not as smart.
I tell you all this as a caution as I would hate for you to be disappointed after adopting a female boxer mix when in your heart you want a full bred male boxer!
You may end up like me. 2 years after adopting our boxer mix, we brought a boxer pup home!
Best of luck reaching your decision!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sue
Welcome. I’m with you regarding my preference for the male boxers. I too have had many experiences with females (mostly rescue) and I simply will never adopt one as I so much prefer my boys :) I personally think they are more loving :)
I have to ask why “at this stage in your life is a female more practical”?
I too adopted a boxer mix 2.5 yrs ago) after losing my last boxer- tired of losing them all to cancer. I love my boxer mix but he does not have many boxer personality traits; no wiggle but, no kisses, not as smart.
I tell you all this as a caution as I would hate for you to be disappointed after adopting a female boxer mix when in your heart you want a full bred male boxer!
You may end up like me. 2 years after adopting our boxer mix, we brought a boxer pup home!
Best of luck reaching your decision!
Thanks, Mrs. Jones - I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me. Since I wrote my post I have acquired more information:

The rescue who has the litter not only rescued the pups but also the Mom and Dad. They are both boxers and are now neutered and up for adoption. I also learned that the rescue agency would ONLY adopt a female dog to me since I already have two male dogs. So if I want to go through a rescue, and I want a pup, this is the one.

Oh, and about you adopting a boxer a few years later? I've already played that scenario through in my head and as sad as it will be, once I lose my Saint Dane (160 pound Saint Bernard/Great Dane who is 9 years old) I will be looking to fill his spot and will rescue an adult/senior boxer. I've almost always had three dogs at a time and as long as my health and finances hold out, I would love to continue that trend.

I'm traveling cross-country for a few days tomorrow and will seriously ponder this decision but I'm 90% sure this little girl is meant to be mine. There are just too many "signs" pointing in that direction (if you believe in that kind of thing).
Sue

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
WOW, hospice for year's? Sadly sometimes that is a necessary service but not one I think I could handle? But Bless you for taking on the challenge. :)

And to address another point you made, a dog that look's and act's like a "Boxer?" That first part is easy, and that would be a "Boxer/Pit." Slight difference, but I am not sure if the (small) difference in behavior is due to the mix or the sex? Stewie was a male and uh "extremely," willing to please! My current Boxer/Pit Bella is a girl and the willing to please bit ... not so much?

But no he/she do not look like a Boxer. If the look is important then get a "Boxer," to state the obvious only a "Boxer look's like a Boxer. :)

And the Boy vs Girl thing? Well that is "complicated?" If asked by someone new to the whole "Boxer," thing? I would recommend get a "Boy," and make your life a bit easier. Now that said "my," preference is for the "sometimes," PIA Girl's, cuz unlike the Boy's, who are eager to please you, the girl's are more eager to please themselves?

You really have to convince them that whatever, it is you want them to do is more fun, than whatever it is they want to do? But once you do make the break thru ... the girl's can be "Outstanding!"

My first Boxer girl (well another sad story) cuz Stru was really my second. Was not my first choice as I wanted a "Boy," but all the Males were taken and I "needed," a White Boxer, "now!" And when I went to see the puppies, Struddell climbed out of the pile of puppy's (with the White Male) I wanted standing on top of all, barking his head off!

But Stru, saw me and climbed out of the pile and into my lap and promptly fell asleep and did not move? And then Mom sat next to us and did not move? Well I really wanted a Boy, but you know what could I do? Not really a "Bond, here but as you said "The Universe, has spoken," ... the whole "Bond," thing would come later. And she would prove later on to be both spectacular and uh kinda Goofy! I miss her to this day. :)

So I'll just say the "Universe has spoken to you and it say's get the girl? You know where she is and she is close by? How much more of a signal do you need? :)

But yes ... compared to your boy, I would expect some challenges but hey that is what makes the girl's "Special." The "Bond," thing will take care of it self.

The "Bond," thing does not always happen right away. I saw that with with a different "Breed," and house full of drama and a trip to the ER, for stitches, for me, when I got in the way of one of his numerous rampages against my "Band Dawg!"

So talk about "No Bond?" There you go but "We," got over it. And "We," learned alot together, that story is my "accidental GSD," he proved to be a great freaking dog ... that I don't recommend to anyone I know, but that is another story. Good Luck with your choice. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just realized I didn't answer your question about a female fitting this stage of my life: I am not a spring-chicken anymore and seriously considered only adopting smaller dogs from now on. Easier to lift when necessary, easier to walk when they are feeling rambunctious, less apt to plow me down the stairs (as my 160 pounder tends to do) but I just can't..... I don't like small breed dogs! I want a boxer, but the smaller the better, and females tend to be 15 pounds (on average) smaller than males. I also understand they are calmer, easier to train, and mature more quickly than the males. And perhaps a little less protective of me and my home? Of course most of that depends on the dog, not the gender, but odds are better of a female being smaller and a bit less rambunctious.

Also, I know so many people who swear by female dogs and insist they would adopt nothing else, so perhaps it's time I get over this pre-conceived "prejudice" of mine. Besides, when you obtain a dog as a puppy, is there any chance in hell that you WON'T fall madly in love with it as you watch it grow? I think not. :)
Sue

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Oh I did not know you still had other dog's? But it sounds like that is great "Boxer Rescue!' Cuz that is also the "Other Down Side," with the "Girl's!" There can be only one! Boxer Rescue policy, is no female Boxer, to homes that already have a female Boxer, other Breed's maybe?

As for myself, I'm fairly certain a female Boxer/Pit, does not qualify as "Other Breed!" I'm still ticked off about that ... so no Boxer Female for me. :(

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Not sure about all this anti female bias? My females (I have owned 3 Boxer females) have been wonderful devoted dogs to me a little more stubborn at times but I am glad I got to have them in my life! They are different than males and every one of my girls has been very protective of me and my home. I have owned 3 male Boxers as well that have been great dogs my opinion is if you take the time with training and bonding with your dog doesn't matter which you get

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure about all this anti female bias? My females (I have owned 3 Boxer females) have been wonderful devoted dogs to me a little more stubborn at times but I am glad I got to have them in my life! They are different than males and every one of my girls has been very protective of me and my home. I have owned 3 male Boxers as well that have been great dogs my opinion is if you take the time with training and bonding with your dog doesn't matter which you get
Thanks for that - I need to get over this "thing" I have with female pets. Maybe I need to see a shrink about it.... :eek: Seriously, it's not so much about the dog's traits as it is that I just feel more loving to "my little boys" as opposed to any female pets I've fostered. This little girl may just be the solution to teaching me that I can be close to another female.... gee, this really does seem like a case for Freud! 😆
Sue

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for that - I need to get over this "thing" I have with female pets. Maybe I need to see a shrink about it.... :eek: Seriously, it's not so much about the dog's traits as it is that I just feel more loving to "my little boys" as opposed to any female pets I've fostered. This little girl may just be the solution to teaching me that I can be close to another female.... gee, this really does seem like a case for Freud! 😆
Sue
My experience with Boxers The males are more loving, and the females more protective and bitchy. Don't let the 15lbs sway you... Then again I have had some really sweet girls too.. Know your breeding.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Not sure about all this anti female bias?
Wait what? Being Pro "Keeping it Real." Does not make one "Anti-Female Boxer?" I luv the Girls," and not being able to get one still has me ... ticked off! It's been five year's since "Bella my Boxer/Pit," arrived and I need to get "over it," and get a boy," but ... so far no "Boy," and thus no Boxer, so far. :(

Moving on ... the fact of the matter is that "Rare among Dog's," in Boxer the Female is the Dominant Sex." Now for the most part if the only female! Won't really notice, for JQP, it just gets chalked up to being pig headed and stubborn, no big deal, for the most part, it adds to there charm. :)

But there is a "Down Side," that most owners, (never see) to the girl's? But "Boxer Rescues," have (time and time again) and that is why (the good ones) have a boiler plate notice. That states "NO Female Boxer's to home's that already have a Female Boxer!" End of story!

No other "Rescue," has such a warning? And I will grant that two "Female GSD's" would be a serious handful and they can be uh, Bitches? But it's not been proven to be bad enough, that is a given rule? But Female Boxer's, that is "Da Rule!"

Now as to why, LOL well, through other means ... I managed to see why? And it's not just the sheer ferocity, in which they will attack? It's the sheer blinding speed, of an attack? There will be damage to the other dog, before you can react and figure out ... what the hell is going on?

I saw it with my "Baby Girl," over baby kittens being born? Stru took "exception," to my "Band Dawg's," lack of respect for the process! Gunther thought it was pretty exciting and announced each birth with a loud bark! Stru felt Gunther should be more "REPECTFUL," and by God if "Daddy," was not gonna teach him some "REPECT!" Then she should would!

They were about 10 feet apart and I was in the middle and Stu was 65 lbs and Gunther was 85 lbs. And it did not matter ... she cleared me in a single bound and it was "Game On!" She just nipped Gunther nose and lucky for me ... that was Daddy's baby so he just wanted the heck out of there and let "Daddy," Deal with this wack job!

I was stunned but I managed to scooped her up, and hug her tight so as not to get bit! But she was just flat gone! Just total sheer blind rage! She was just snapping at the air? She was my first and only Alpha Roll, I got her outside and just laid on her tell I felt her relax! And I finally let her up and she look's and smiles as if to say ... "Hey Dad, what's up? :)

It never happened again. But my point is ... that was just one dog, not two Female's trying to kill each other? If you have two female and that kind of crap happens, cuz they don't like each other? Good Luck, with that!

Boxer Rescues, got tired of it and so they just flat out say NO! The girl's are no joke, and what they lack in mass, they make up with speed!

But yeah so you know, don't have two (Girl's) and don't do what I did and unless they are "Protection," trained and you can turn uh "Crazy," of and on at will? You'll never see it. I luv and prefer the "Girl's," and that is why I am "Stuck," as it were. Cuz I tend to believe, "There Can Be Only One?" :(

But that is all inside stuff. And I am," just that guy," that has just happened to see the "other side." Under normal circumstances, it is highly likely to happen? A girl will just be pig headed, stubborn and cute and luv people! And she will grow up to "Boss the Boy's," around at home and defer to them when out and about. And that is the norm. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait what? Being Pro "Keeping it Real." Does not make one "Anti-Female Boxer?" I luv the Girls," and not being able to get one still has me ... ticked off! It's been five year's since "Bella my Boxer/Pit," arrived and I need to get "over it," and get a boy," but ... so far no "Boy," and thus no Boxer, so far. :(

Moving on ... the fact of the matter is that "Rare among Dog's," in Boxer the Female is the Dominant Sex." Now for the most part if the only female! Won't really notice, for JQP, it just gets chalked up to being pig headed and stubborn, no big deal, for the most part, it adds to there charm. :)

But there is a "Down Side," that most owners, (never see) to the girl's? But "Boxer Rescues," have (time and time again) and that is why (the good ones) have a boiler plate notice. That states "NO Female Boxer's to home's that already have a Female Boxer!" End of story!

No other "Rescue," has such a warning? And I will grant that two "Female GSD's" would be a serious handful and they can be uh, Bitches? But it's not been proven to be bad enough, that is a given rule? But Female Boxer's, that is "Da Rule!"

Now as to why, LOL well, through other means ... I managed to see why? And it's not just the sheer ferocity, in which they will attack? It's the sheer blinding speed, of an attack? There will be damage to the other dog, before you can react and figure out ... what the hell is going on?

I saw it with my "Baby Girl," over baby kittens being born? Stru took "exception," to my "Band Dawg's," lack of respect for the process! Gunther thought it was pretty exciting and announced each birth with a loud bark! Stru felt Gunther should be more "REPECTFUL," and by God if "Daddy," was not gonna teach him some "REPECT!" Then she should would!

They were about 10 feet apart and I was in the middle and Stu was 65 lbs and Gunther was 85 lbs. And it did not matter ... she cleared me in a single bound and it was "Game On!" She just nipped Gunther nose and lucky for me ... that was Daddy's baby so he just wanted the heck out of there and let "Daddy," Deal with this wack job!

I was stunned but I managed to scooped her up, and hug her tight so as not to get bit! But she was just flat gone! Just total sheer blind rage! She was just snapping at the air? She was my first and only Alpha Roll, I got her outside and just laid on her tell I felt her relax! And I finally let her up and she look's and smiles as if to say ... "Hey Dad, what's up? :)

It never happened again. But my point is ... that was just one dog, not two Female's trying to kill each other? If you have two female and that kind of crap happens, cuz they don't like each other? Good Luck, with that!

Boxer Rescues, got tired of it and so they just flat out say NO! The girl's are no joke, and what they lack in mass, they make up with speed!

But yeah so you know, don't have two (Girl's) and don't do what I did and unless they are "Protection," trained and you can turn uh "Crazy," of and on at will? You'll never see it. I luv and prefer the "Girl's," and that is why I am "Stuck," as it were. Cuz I tend to believe, "There Can Be Only One?" :(

But that is all inside stuff. And I am," just that guy," that has just happened to see the "other side." Under normal circumstances, it is highly likely to happen? A girl will just be pig headed, stubborn and cute and luv people! And she will grow up to "Boss the Boy's," around at home and defer to them when out and about. And that is the norm. :)
Well.... a lot for me to think about! I am on a cross-country trip visiting my daughter and am using these few days to really think about the pros and cons of moving forward with this. Of course I want this boxer puppy!!!! But I'm also trying to make a common-sense, educated, and rational decision rather than an impulse. They are a lifelong commitment, not a toy or a whim.

So it seems if I want a male puppy boxer I would have to find a reputable breeder and purchase one, otherwise, no rescues will allow another male into my home. And I've come to terms with adding a female to the pack and watching and delighting in the differences. BUT... does that mean I will never be able to bring another male dog into my life once I get the dominant, "bitchy", pig-headed female? I would really like to rescue another senior or two (when my big dog passes away) but don't want to have to worry about her ruling the roost and being in charge of that decision.

Now, my dog (that I am hoping a new boxer puppy will be a friend and playmate to) is my mixed breed, 42 pound male that, according to the DNA test, shows he is predominantly Akita, pug, and yorkie. I see the pug in him for sure! Independent, pig-headed, stubborn, and I love him to death. And it's HIM I worry about not taking to a new dog in the house and bullying it and not sharing his toys. So perhaps a female boxer pup is the perfect solution? Maybe she will put him in his place and let him know that females rule! Nothing like a strong woman to put her man in place as needed. :)

Thanks for the thoughts and comments and conversation - I really appreciate all the feedback.
Sue

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
LOL. well you should get the girl! The "berserker mode," most owners will never see? That has to be "trained, provoked or stumbled across ( with you know the birth of baby kittens and lack of respect from a housemate?") Short of that it's not a situation most owners will ever see.

Short of that, in a Pack. The girl's are like Switzerland. They don't pick sides. When I had my issues with my WL GSD and a fundamental lack of understanding what "High Rank," was or meant? It was always Rocky (GSD) starting it by attacking my Band Dawg!

I got stiches breaking them up. That happened five times. And Struddell, was on site cuz "Rocky," would only start crap in the living room. And not once did Struddell, ever get involved.

And Stru, got along fine with all us males individually. But she never picked a side, Boy's will be Boy's. was how she saw this madness? In my "Pack," Rocky was dog number three, Gunther was first and Stru second. Would I did not know was that Gunther (Band Dawg) and Stru (White Boxer) were derived Molosser Breeds. Low Rank Drive dog's they don't really care about "Rank," (Social Position within the Pack) but Rocky (Working Line GSD) was not?

And after about 5 months (got him at 7 month's) of Fostering (almost placed him but it fell thru) I got him back the same day. But now he was 12 months of and 113 lbs! And he felt it was time for a change reign of and he wanted the TOP Dog spot!

And even though Stru, kinda would set standards of uh "Goofiness," with people and stuff. Top Dog was not her, it was Gunther sigh and so it was "Game On!" But again no Boxer, involvement.

Oh and another "qurik," the girl's have or maybe it's all dog's? But this I saw if your other Dog's are well trained? You can use them to help train her. But you have to also be sure and train her separately also! Because ... they aren't really looking or listening to you? They watch there housemate. And as long as they are "always together," you will never know? But if she is separated for an outing ... you could find out she does not know crap?

Compared to my Boy's my Stru was uh quirky to train? But bottom line in the open desert, in Jack Rabbit chasing, she was trained to stop a chase with the word "No," if the Bunny went South the Hwy or OK, if the Bunny went North towards the Mountains.

But hey that was then and this is now. My current Boxer/Pitt, Bella yeah I got no chance of duplicating that. Now I stay out of the open desert cuz she'd be gone if a Bunny shows up?

But she can do an out of site Place on a Bolder and walks well on a loose leash in the big city, and she nail's the "Heel Flip." :)

But she is full of quirk's? But I got her at a year old and not a puppy, and it has been 15 year's since I trained a girl? So I forgot stuff and also loaded some of my baggage unto her ... cause I wanted another White Boxer girl. But that's just me, I think you'll luv a girl! :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have almost always had two Boxers at a time always male/female ratio and I have never had a problem with the girls being "witchy" in fact my dogs have never fought about anything at any time so I guess I can't relate to these witchy girl stories glad I have missed out on that one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have almost always had two Boxers at a time always male/female ratio and I have never had a problem with the girls being "witchy" in fact my dogs have never fought about anything at any time so I guess I can't relate to these witchy girl stories glad I have missed out on that one!
Well from this point forward I will just project positive thoughts that after a proper introduction, all of mine (including puppy which I should be able to pick up in about a week) will live in perfect harmony and deal with whatever may occur to the contrary. :)
Sue

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i guess I will throw in my 2 cents. Have never personally owned a female, but that is all my gf has owned. I find females to be more clingy, more protective and easier to train. Males are more independent and stubborn. Just my experiences. lol

Speaking of girls we will be getting this little nugget next Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i guess I will throw in my 2 cents. Have never personally owned a female, but that is all my gf has owned. I find females to be more clingy, more protective and easier to train. Males are more independent and stubborn. Just my experiences. lol

Well I guess the general consensus is that there IS no general consensus.... it depends on the breed, the dog, the genetics, the upbringing, and LUCK! She's a gorgeous nugget - congrats and good luck!
Sue

·
Registered
385 Posts

Matt, good luck with her much more power than the Boxers tremendous bite too. But I know better there great family dogs and protectors she will not be a "little nugget for long" there sweet to you and family and terrifying to "Outsiders", Train her to leash walk early. Be ready for a great adventure.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Matt, good luck with her much more power than the Boxers tremendous bite too. But I know better there great family dogs and protectors she will not be a "little nugget for long" there sweet to you and family and terrifying to "Outsiders", Train her to leash walk early. Be ready for a great adventure.
Thanks Joe. Yeah we just lost our rescue rottie a little bit ago. Decided to go the puppy route this time. We got so lucky with the rescue but with rotties its tough. You dont know what issues they are coming with, and those issues are in a big ass dog.lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts