Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie's UTI...She has been tapering off of her antibiotics for about 2 1/2 weeks now....she's down to a pill every second night. Since we've started the every second night, she's been drinking more water and the last couple of days she's been squatting and peeing more (all the tell tale signs....) So we are bringing in another urine sample tomorrow to have it checked out. She has been on antibiotics straight for more than a month now (along with cran extract)...geez I thought that would clear it up. But it seems we were wrong. Poor girl, I hope that being on all of these antibiotics don't harm her in any way. I guess will have to wait for the tests tomorrow for sure. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sending positive thoughts {{{{{no UTI, no UTI}}}}}  Sure hope she is not getting it back, poor baby.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
:cry: awwwww Sadie...jeez i hope she feels better...also sending positive vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DUKE01\";p=\"53396 said:
Poor thing UTI is not fun.  I hope she gets better soon.
Thanks for the well wishes guys...

I don't think I'd be as worried or upset about it if it was her first... but as some of you already know she's had this "UTI" for over 2 months. If it is even a UTI, the vet isn't sure, could be something wrong with her urinary tract. Hopefully we will find out soon and she'll get all better.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
hope sadie feels better... :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ohh Nooo :(  Poor Sadie girl.  *Fingers/toes and paws crossed

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well, drinking more water is a good thing, she needs to flush the bacteria through her system, so she's doing the right thing...encourage her to drink lots.

Have you considered, or talked to the vet, about adding cranberry supplement (tablets, juice---make sure it's 100% cranberry juice--, or maybe the dried cran raisins) to her diet to create less condusive environment in her bladder for bacteria?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AbbyandBrady\";p=\"53415 said:
Well, drinking more water is a good thing, she needs to flush the bacteria through her system, so she's doing the right thing...encourage her to drink lots.

Have you considered, or talked to the vet, about adding cranberry supplement (tablets, juice---make sure it's 100% cranberry juice--, or maybe the dried cran raisins) to her diet to create less condusive environment in her bladder for bacteria?
Yes  :D  we we have been adding the cran extract....The water has increased dramatically over the last 2 days since we decreased her dosage of antibiotics, and also the squatting etc has started again. Normally it was those two signs that brought us into the vet each time to find there were more crystals bacteria...I hear ya though, the more water the better to help flush her system!  :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this news, and I hope that you get some answers soon as to why she is having this problem.  I know in humans that are prone to UTI's, doctors can put a person on daily antibiotics as a preventative - don't know whether this applies to dogs or not, but I'd ask the vet.  Sending big hugs and kisses to Sadie in the meantime and hope she's okay.

G

·
0 Posts
Poor Sadie...I am sooo thankful *knock on wood* that I haven't really had many health problems with Jetta...once we got the normal puppy worms taken care of...and the vaccine reactions...we haven't really had much to worry about...aside from her stubborn eating...I hope it's not as you fear and if it is, the vet can figure something out...

From what I understand about antibiotics..the longer you are on them, the more chance resistant strains of bacteria forming...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I hope all is well with Sadie.  

Does her urine have a stronger than normal odor?  May just need to try a different antibiotic.  There are also foods that have cranberry in them, don't know if that would help more or not.  In general does she drink enough water on a normal day to day basis?  Decreased water intake can lead to UTI's.  Don't know if dogs are like people or not, but if she has loose or soft stool and it gets in the vaginal area this too might lead to UTI's.  In humans that is the most prevalent cause for them.  I am a people nurse, don't know much about animal medicine.  Hopefully Sharon has some good advice.  Hope Sadie feels better soon.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Aww Poor Sadie. I was hoping she kicked that thing. I remember a while ago some talk about getting her spayed to stop the UTI's but I don't remember the outcome of that. Is she old enough to get spayed, and would that help her?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Your support helps a lot!

She basically JUST started drinking more in the past two days...she was drinking enough before, we check her for dehidratation (back of the neck skin) but she seems to be drinking excessivly since the decrease in meds.

When we go to the vet tomorrow he will probably look into spaying her or some sort of other test to see what may be wrong with her urinary tract. He wanted to save those more invasive tests until after she was done her whole cycle of meds to see if that would kill the bacteria on it's own. He also mentioned she may have developed an immunity to the meds.. (however, she has been on two diferent types of meds...)

I may just be paranoid, I can't really jump to any conclusions until after the urin analysis...I would just hate to see the bacteria back again...

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it. I will let you know how the vet goes tomorrow.

Alexa  :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hope she is feeling better soon.  Hopefully the vet can get it straightened out.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh no Alexa! I can't believe it's back.....Poor Sadie, I really was hoping that this last round of meds would clear it up for good....Give that little trooper a big hug for me. Hoping this doesn't mean more tests....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts