Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance as this may be a bit long.

I noticed about 3 days ago mavs white patch of fur on his chest was quite pink. i knew his harness was a bit snug so i went out and got him a new harness and picked up some bil jac treats even tho they arent too healthy i figured whatever-theyre treats. so today i go to check his ears and they are also a brighter shade of pink and his little nub, the bottom doesnt have much hair, and it is pink also...chest is still pink too. Im thinking it must be a food allergy.

I want to figure this out before we change his food. He has been eating purina and never had this problem, the treats i could get him to eat before were milk bone and beggin strips which i dont think caused the problem either because theyre fairly normal part of his diet. in the past few days he has stolen pop corn and also i gave him some cheese. That is all i can think of. I washed his bedding but that was over 2 weeks ago.

As of right now he is not getting any treats or anything else just food an water and we will see if everything returns to normal. I should mention that he is in no pain and is a regular puppy in every other way full of energy and loves to cause trouble. he hasnt been eating much but i think we may have spoiled him with treats....

Any input you could give us would be really appreciated. What do we do next? Start adding back in his treats to see what is the cause? Thanks for reading this!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I don't remember who it was but someones dog was allergic to dairy, so it could be the cheese.  Kiah had a big problem with milk bones, she would throw them up.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mav adores them. he gets one if he will enter his crate on his own without a fuss for bed or whenever. right now i have cut them out and he is freaking out because he didnt get his treat. Theyre only the puppy size ones tho they are smaller than a finger.

Come to think of it when i gave him the cheese the next day i noticed the redness but right when i got him i tried using cheese strings to train him and he had no problem...maybe it because it was a different brand of cheese?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would not think the milk bones are the issue usually if you are going to have a problem with that it is either throwing up or loose stool.  The cheese could be, I would cut that out and see. If he has been on the same food for a while, I would not think it would just pop up pink skin without the help of something else.  If he is doing well on his food I would not change it unless you rule everything else out first.  SO you are doing the right thing cut out all but food and then start adding back one thing at a time and see what happens.  I would start with the milk bones because I doubt they are the problem.  It could be something outside or in the house as well....Just keep a record or in mind what he is in contact with the next time you see the red.  new shampoo maybe??? Benedryl should help in the meantime of getting the red out....:)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he is getting weighed at the vet for his monthly pill on friday but between 30-35 lbs. he was 30 at his last visit i believe.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think liquid works the best.  25mg (Usually the childrens is 25 mg) and at 30 to 40 pounds he can take up to 5cc by mouth twice a day....Ahhhh lets see....If you dont have a syringe....5cc is 1 teaspoon...it will sometimes make them sleepy :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks sharon. ill go pick that up for him to keep on hand. good to know. i agree i dont think its the milk bone or the food...i was leaning towards the cheese or the popcorn because it had butter on it which he stole... thanks for all your help this is the first time ive been so attached to a dog and noticed all these small things. None of my other dogs have had this kinda of problem or been spoiled as much as Maverick.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Awww, poor guy....Hoping you figure out what is bothering him....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts