Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been talking to a breeder the past couple days and he seems great! The pups have had their shots, tails done, ears,and have been dewormed. And he says he works with them a lot they are already almost fully potty trained and they are active and he will let them go into the back yard for a little while in the day to play with mom and dad. So I'm going to meet the puppies today and see if any of them are the one for me! I'll keep you posted, but all I know now is I am very excited! \:D/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know thats why I spoke with the breeder so much and got as much info as possible before I saw them cuz I know I'm gonna fall in love and I don't want to have an unhealthy new baby. And what tests do you mean? He never mentioned anything about tests, so I can make sure I ask him today when I go. And I also wanted to ask.... since the puppies have all of their shots are they allowed to be out and about? I mean since I am so close to the beach would it be bad if he/she walked about a bit in the sand? My family is coming out this weekend to visit, and wanted to go to the beach so I would like to take my new little one, but I obviously wont if it is unsafe....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If it is frequented by a lot fo dogs then I wouldn't recommend it. Your pup won't be ready for parks and stuff untill all the boosters have been given. If there is a low traffic in dogs then you shold be okay, just watch your pup very carefully.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I agree there wont be any dogs there I don't think other than my moms little yorkie who has all of his shots... But then again it is the beach and you never know how many dogs will be there... so I guess I can play it by ear... but I havnt had a puppy in awhile so I don't quite remember how long until they can run around, so I can ask a vet, but I think I should maybe not chance it and leave the little rascle at home this time.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
How old are the puppies?  The tests that are recommended for breeding dogs are found on the American Boxer Club"s "ABC" site.   See:

www.americanboxerclub.org/health-screening.html

Also see Willow's post on "Finding a Reputable Breeder."  See

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... ight=tests

Even though the puppy may have had one set of his/her shots, my choice is not to expose them to any children or other dogs (and where other dogs have been) until they have had all their shots at 16 weeks of age.  This is my personal choice only.  Just because a dog has had it's 1st baby shot, doesn't mean it is fully protected from everything and anything, and their little immune systems just aren't up to battling everything.  Children and other dogs carry and transmit disease.  Just as I wouldn't take a newborn child to the circus and pass him around to everyone, I don't expose my puppies to the world at large either and a public beach has a little bit of everything on it.  

Sophie just got her 3rd set of shots on Thursday, and she has never set food on the ground outside of our yard or my home.  Maybe I'm just extreme when it comes to my dogs,  but I was the same way when I raised afghan hounds.  Any prospective buyer had to wash their hands and cover their feet with the hospital shoe coverings so as not to bring anything into my pups.   Again, this is just my opinion!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No you make perfect sense! believe me I agree! The last thing I want to do is bring my puppy home to get him sick.. He's stayin home lol! Anyways thanks so much for the advise!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I hope everything goes well...If the breeder seems rather reluctant to produce any test results or says something like "oh, they are healthy", RUN!!! I'm serious. The Sticky that I did in the breeding section, plus the website Kate gave you has the tests that are necessary...Any breeder that does not comply is considered, in my book a BYB...

As for taking your pup out, until that last set of shots, it really isn't good to expose him to things like that. That's why first puppy training classes will not allow you to enroll until that 3rd set of shots are given and you can provide the proof from your vet...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Amy20\";p=\"34041 said:
So I have been talking to a breeder the past couple days and he seems great! The pups have had their shots, tails done, ears,and have been dewormed. And he says he works with them a lot they are already almost fully potty trained and they are active and he will let them go into the back yard for a little while in the day to play with mom and dad. So I'm going to meet the puppies today and see if any of them are the one for me! I'll keep you posted, but all I know now is I am very excited! \:D/
What do you mean by ears? The breader cropped the pups ears??

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I was wondering about ears too! How old are the puppies?

If they tell you the hips were checked you can check the OFA website to verify it:

http://www.offa.org/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Um well one of the males has his ears done, I'm not possitive, but I think thats what they do to have the ears stand up right??? I wouldn't do that to my puppy, if I get the one that doesn't have that done.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
How old are the pups? Cropping is generally done about 10 weeks or so....And it isn't a mandatory thing, that's a choice...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts