Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I woke to Cactus making odd noises in his crate.  He does not ever do this and I knew something was wrong.  It woke me right up and I rushed to his kennel.  When I got there his whole topline was in a c shape- his head looked like it was thrown back and he was yelping in a long cryish way- a sound I had not heard anyways.  I was saying, "Cactus, hey puppy, hey baby, good morning" trying to wake him up.  Nothing worked and he kept his head back while making that sound.  I gently pulled him out of his crate. As I got him to just outside the front of his kennel, his whole body went limp.  He lay there and wet himself.  I was still saying Cactus, honey, Cactus.... to no avail.  I started to think I just watched my puppy die.  I pulled him the rest of the way out from under the table (where his kennel is) and tried to make him stand.  He was not awaking or waking up or something different so that I could see he was being alert.  Again I thought he was dead.   He fell over but I saw his eyes move or something that indicated he was gaining consciousness.  I stood him up again and this time his fronts worked but not his back.  So I let him lay there, talked more to him, and tried again.  He stood and wobbly walked off.

I took him to the vet who told me he had a grand mal siezure, which is usually a symptom of something else.  I am a single parent in school.  I can and will stretch my budget to make him okay.  It will just be an extra stessor.  I am scared that I might lose my little guy.  Who knew in three weeks he would steal my heart so completely?

I am also concerned about how to tell my breeder.  I think this is not a good thing.  I was going to send her the report from the vet but I do not know what to say.  Any suggestions would be great.  Also, any sympathy and encouragement is greatly needed.  I am scared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am so sorry about your pup, that must have been so scary.  How old is he?  Is your vet going to run more tests?  I would definitely let the breeder know and they might/should offer to help you with some of the vet bills, especially if they are reputable.  I hope that everything turns out ok and that this was a one time thing, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your support.  Cactus will be three months old on the 13th of November.  I will keep you posted.
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First off, my thoughts & prayers are with you & Cactus..That poor sweet little boy. As far as contacting the breeder, absolutely!! Something like that they have to know about. As far as explaining it, just explain it the way you have done here. Clear & concise. Make sure you include everything you have gotten from the vet also, with you keeping the original paperwork.

Please keep us posted on what else you find out & we will keep you both in our prayers..Big boxer hugs going out to you...

·
Registered
616 Posts
You poor thing!  I too would have been so scared.  Hugs and kisses to you and Cactus!  I hope the vet can find out what made his have the seizure and that it never happens again!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI there everyone~
I appreciate all your support.  Here is what I heard from Cactus' vet: his liver, sugars, and proteins were all normal thus ruling out distemper and parvo.  I could've and would've treated him in hopes that he survived if he had those, but both of those diseases cause residual damage to his health for the rest of his life.  Phew on those.  He did have three elevated enzymes- two that have to do with growth and one (creatinine kinase) that only shows us that he had a seizure, not why.  

He has not seizured since, has resumed his happy wiggly play, is running around and finding things to chew on that I thought I had put away.  Although it was nice to have a quiet day yesterday (he spent most of it in his kennel and I just left the door open) I am relieved to have him being his self again.

I emailed his breeder all this information.  I have not heard from her but I am sure I will.  

I am just hoping it never happens again or with such rarity that it is not an issue.  The biggest thing is that for the most part, I do not have to worry about him dying in the very near future.  I have rescheduled his second set of vaccinations for next week.  I am also doing more research into vets that specialize in seizure prone animals.  I intend to get him neutered but if it means life or death, I may avoid the neutering.  I of course would never breed him and would thus make a commitment to never let him out of my sight or off a leash around other dogs (a good idea anyways.....)  Isn't it amazing what a difference 24 hours makes?
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am so glad to hear that Cactus is doing better, You are taking all the right steps, doing the right things, which is great. That's the best thng you can do for Cactus...Yea Mommy!!! Give that boy a big hug for me, he deserves it.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aw thank you.  Although I am not wealthy, I do okay but I never thought I would have to or be willing to spend this much on a pet.  But he has my heart.  I made a commitment to him and will stick it through.  He is seizure free since the first which from what I have read is unusual.  Supposedly they have another within the first twenty four hours.  He is back to himself.  Whatever that is, I will take it.  Thank you for your support!
~Anne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts