Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

I thought we were over this "White's are bad" crap

3K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  Newcastle 
#1 ·
Was looking at the American Boxer Club Website and found this......I was dissapointed that the statement below in bold was on there.

Buying a Puppy?

At What Age Should I Buy My Puppy?
Usually any time after 7-8 weeks. Many states have regulations regarding minimum age. However, your individual circumstances must be considered. Do you have the time to spend with a very young puppy? Will someone be home to housebreak him? Would an exuberant 6-month old puppy overwhelm a tiny child? Or would he be better matched with a 6-year-old youngster? Remember also that the puppy under 3 months needs lots of time to rest.

While much can be told at six to eight weeks about the puppy's eventual looks, if you are seeking a show prospect you might be better off waiting until the pup is six to eight months of age. At that time, be prepared to pay a higher price for all the additional time and effort that the breeder has spent raising the show potential Boxer.

Male or Female?
This choice is a matter of personal preference. Remember, however, that if you contemplate breeding, you will need to start with the very best quality female you can find. Females make admirable pets. If breeding is not anticipated, you will want to spay your female. This operation should be done after consulting your veterinarian, and probably before the puppy is a year old. This will effectively prevent your female from coming into season and attracting male dogs from miles around!

Tails should have been docked within a few days of birth.

Optional removal of front dewclaws (fifth toes) done at the same time The Boxer has no rear dewclaws.

Ear cropping is appropriate for the well-being of the breed. This procedure is done under general anesthesia, usually between six and nine weeks of age. If the puppy is taken before cropping, the breeder usually makes arrangements. Breeder also advises regarding aftercare and taping if ears are not already standing. Sometimes this is a lengthy process. The erect, cropped ear reduces the potential for infections and hematomas that often beset long-eared breeds.

In the male, both testicles should be descended into the scrotum. They should be in place by two to three months of age. A dog with undescended testicles may still make a fine pet, though he would be ineligible to compete in the show ring. Consult your vetennarian for advice.

Avoid the unusually quiet, inactive puppy, or the one that might shy away from you. This might mean a fault in temperament or even ill health.

Do not purchase a white Boxer or one with predominantly white background color.

Papers the Seller Should Furnish:

a. A three or four generation pedigree signed by the seller. This usually represents the bill of sale. There should be no charge for this. The pedigree preferably gives the color of the sire and dam, and the AKC registration numbers of each.

b. The blue-slip from the AKC, which is an official document identifying your puppy's litter registration number, sex, birth date, sire and dam, and name of the breeder(s). There are two ways to register puppies for the first time with this blueslip:

(1) Limited Registration
If the puppy is not to be bred, or is not considered sound, and is being purchased only as a companion pet, the breeder may check off the Limited Registration option. This does register the puppy with the AKC. However, it does not allow any registration of offspring from the mature dog. The breeder (and only the breeder) can cancel the limited registration should the puppy at maturity be considered of breeding quality.

(2) Full Registration
If the puppy is considered to be of breeding quality, the seller will check off the full registration option.

Records the Breeder Should Furnish:

a. Date and type of vaccines given. Depending on the type of vaccination program started, your veterinarian will advise you on following through. Remember, too, that socalled permanent shots still require a yearly booster.

-- b. Date and agent used for worming, if done. Do not worm your puppy without consulting your veterinarian. Avoid store-bought preparations.

-- c. Diet your puppy has been receiving. It is well to maintain the regimen begun by the breeder, especially while the puppy is adjusting to his new home. If changes are to be made. do so very gradually, so as not to upset his system When he is an adult it will be wise to maintain your Boxer on two smaller meals a day, and to restrict exercise immediately after eating, so as to lesson the likelihood of bloat (or gastric torsion).

See less See more
#27 ·
Re: I thought we were over this "White's are bad"

But how else could you say it?

#31 ·

yet I will disagree that it is sad or all to novel because there is no other way  that it should be done other then an owner and their vet making medical decisions based on individual circumstance.
Oh, I agree entirely.  What I meant was that the AVMA's position is sadly all too novel (especially among lawmakers!).

#32 ·

Newcastle\";p=\"68371 said:
But how else could you say it?
ABC version:

Ear cropping is appropriate for the well-being of the breed. This procedure is done under general anesthesia, usually between six and nine weeks of age. If the puppy is taken before cropping, the breeder usually makes arrangements. Breeder also advises regarding aftercare and taping if ears are not already standing. Sometimes this is a lengthy process. The erect, cropped ear reduces the potential for infections and hematomas that often beset long-eared breeds.

Clearer translation:

Ear cropping is a personal choice, primarily done for aesthetic reasons.  This procedure is done under general anesthesia, usually between six and nine weeks of age. If the puppy is taken before cropping, the breeder usually makes arrangements. Breeder also advises regarding aftercare and taping if ears are not already standing. Sometimes this is a lengthy, painful process. It is currently the position of the ABC to support ear cropping because we believe the erect cropped ear reduces the potential for infections and hematomas that often beset long-eared breeds.  However opponents of ear cropping believe there is little proof of any health benefits.   It should be noted that outside the U.S. ear cropping is increasingly discouraged and often illegal.  The decision should be left up to the owner and either decision is acceptable.

To me that's just a more informative, impartial, unbiased explanation.  Just an idea.

#34 ·

ABC version:
Yet again, that's the *old* version, which simply needs to be updated (there's a copyright process that needs to followed so it can't be done instantaneously).  I'll post, again, the current version:

[quote:znamc534]Ear cropping is customary and appropriate but not required

#35 ·

My apologies, I missed the current version.  I just saw the old version.  I think the new version is a pretty good compromise!  I never was very concise  :D  

Thanks for engaging in this debate, I find it to be very interesting.  Your knowledge and experience (and more importantly your awesome dogs!) are an asset to this website.

#36 ·

Not to get off topic, and please forgive me for being uneducated in this department but what is a hematoma?
There's nothing to forgive! :)  A hematoma is a blood-filled "pocket" on the ear flap; sometimes it can be drained with a needle but other times (like my girl) it needs to be cut open and the ear "pie-crust" stitched until it heals.  

Here's a good article on hematomas - slightly graphic photo if you're squeamish.  They describe it as feeling like a water balloon, which is exactly what I thought when I felt my girl's.

#38 ·

I just saw the old version.  I think the new version is a pretty good compromise!
Oh, good - I really was thinking I was completely out in left field!! ;)

Thanks for engaging in this debate, I find it to be very interesting.  Your knowledge and experience (and more importantly your awesome dogs!) are an asset to this website.
Well, thank you, very much.  :)  I often find that I learn more when debating a topic than I do researching it on my own, so as long as they remain civil I generally enjoy them.

Thanks!  Hope you're girl is all healed and feeling better....that sounds very painful.
She certainly was not a happy camper!  What's worse is the vet affixed a rigid piece of black plastic to the ear, so that it wouldn't fold along the open area, and she had an allergic reaction to that so her ear got quite swollen and very itchy for that week or so. :(  She's a trooper, though, and once the plastic came off and the stitches came out she was much happier, and now you can hardly tell where the hematoma was (the ear leather is just a little bit thicker in a certain spot, which I think actually is more due to the plastic reaction than the actual hematoma).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.