Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are cat lover's on this forum but.... I AM LIVID!!! The disgusting things are getting on all my window ledges and peeing/spraying (whatever you want to call the revolting and foul smelling thing they do to mark territory) on my windows :evil:  :evil:  :evil: . Even the ledges that are about 5ft high have been sprayed X(
I don't usually mind cats - even though they aren't for me i quite like them when they live in their own homes & gardens. But this makes me mad beyond belief. I've washed all the windows with white vinegar which is supposed to deter them but if anyone has any ideas i'm listening!! And PM me if you think your idea might not go down well with the cat lover's on here :wink:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I used to have the neighborhood cats use my rose garden for a toilet.  Nasty little buggers!
I heard you could sprinkle cayenne pepper on the area and they would leave it alone.  So I doused my garden with cayenne pepper and most of them left it alone.  There was one old stubborn female that still would go in there.  Then one of the neighbor's dogs started laying in my roses to cool off in the afternoon.  No big deal right?  Yeah, until he started digging around to get to the cooler earth underneath! :evil:   So I went to the hardware store and put up a little two row electrical fence made just for such problems.  No more cats or dogs in my roses now!  Of coarse, a couple of years later we finally got a fence around the whole property and boy has that been nice! :D   The cats will still come in the yard, I think mainly to annoy my Henry :roll: , but they don't bother anything anymore.

Good luck with your cat problem. :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Forgot to mention.  They do make a cat and dog repellant spray now.  You just spray it around the areas you don't want them to bother.  We had to use it for Rocky to keep him out of the garbage.  So maybe you could try that.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cat repellent sounds good - hope it works!! Electric fencing would be difficult the garden is about 3000m

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I got the same problem with my cat lady neighbor. She must have at least 20 all black cats, none of them are fixed and one of them is pregnant now. We also have an all black indoor cat so if she ever gets out we are gonna be screwed trying to figure out which one is her.  I have tried all sorts of repellant spray and none of them seem to work because we are still scooping up poop and washing stuff down that they spray on. It's bad enough when you have to clean up after your own dogs outside but when you gotta clean up after someone else's friggin cats, it's enough to piss anyone off. Sorry you are going thru this but thank you for posting this because I am also interested in other things to try.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We now have a law about dogs and cats running free; the fine is $250; it has been strictly enforced the last couple of years and boy has that stopped the cats in our yard.  The only problem is once they are caught no one will claim them because they don't want to pay the fine, so they go to the ASPCA (which is not a kill shelter thank goodness) to go up for adoption.  At least they are microchipped so they know who they belong too if it happens again.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cat that's bugging me must have more than average cat intelligence - i've never seen it during the day time so i can't even teach Voltaire to chase it off :roll:  It just sneaks around my house peeing on everything. Whilst it was the walls of the house and things at ground level i was grudgingly tolerant - but my windows :evil:  - that's just gross :sick:
My Mum said to me since my brother's been home he pees in the garden and that's stopped the cats from coming in. I told hubby - "You've got to go pee below the windows!" he just looked at me and said "-do it yourself 8O !!"

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would try to put some dog hair up there, don't know how you would make it stick though.  That is what i was told to do to get rid of the bunnies so they wouldn't eat my plants.  I was also told to take some of my hair after it was cut to sprinkle around and to spit so it would smell like humans.  Not sure if the same would work for cats though.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
we drench our neighbor's cat's if they ever come into our yard :) either from the hose or just a big cup of water whatever happens to be handy.   but you said you don't catch them 'cause they come at night so that sucks.... do you have tapatio or some hot sauce? you can smear some of that on the window sill :)

·
Banned
2,813 Posts
I have had a problem like this in the past, there was a disgusting evil cat who would poop right outside of my front window every day. NASTY!!!  :evil:  I couldn't even open the windows in the morning without picking up after somebodys "pet". What worked was that we sprinkled brewed coffee grounds in the flower bed. I was told cats don't like it and it really worked well. The only thing is that you have to reapply with fresh grounds every couple of days: they have to be fairly fresh brewed or they loose the scent  I guess. I drink a lot of coffee so it wasn't a problem for me.  We have since moved: now the nieghborhood cats come to the front window to torture Paco, they walk back and forth right in front of him while he's looking out and thay know he cant get them. Of course by the time I get him all leashed up to chase them off they scatter. This thread made me remember my old coffee trick so maybe I'll use it again to keep these ones away too. The hot pepper or hot sasuce sounds like a good idea too.  Good luck.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
caillou\";p=\"101267 said:
My Mum said to me since my brother's been home he pees in the garden and that's stopped the cats from coming in. I told hubby - "You've got to go pee below the windows!" he just looked at me and said "-do it yourself 8O !!"
:))  =))  :))  8-}

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
caillou\";p=\"101267 said:
"You've got to go pee below the windows!" he just looked at me and said "-do it yourself 8O !!"
That method is actually suppossed tobe one of the best!.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hawaii has the most notorious stray cat problem in the country as i understand it...its the weirdest thing to see..im from mass and ive never seen such a thing...wherever you go here...restaurants, walmart, a mall, doesnt matter...there are atleast 100 cats all over the parking lot just wandering...
no cold weather to knock the population down...plenty of food to eat...and they have some weird law here that they trap the feral cats, fix them and release them...uhmm ok that still doesnt cut down on the population on the whole though...they dont de flea, de tick, give shots to them...so they can still spread bugs and disease...and there are alot of people that take it upon themselves to buy pounds and pounds of food and dump it in the cat colonies to feed them..every week

and these cats are SMART..rarely see them hit on the roads..but yet they sprawl out in parking spaces and sidewalks...

at one mall here...there is honestly about 500 cats that live there at any given time..the sight is overwhelming and kind of creepy..they dont run they just stare at you.. 8O

the 2 things they use here to deter even these cats who are feral and SO used to anything else....is the pepper and coffee grounds...and it works !!

i DO have 2 cats but in their defense they act more like dogs haha..i love all animals on the whole but cats are notoriously sneaky and smart..although mine are more on the side of lay in the middle of the room and stick with the dogs..

we had a GIANT stray that used to JUMP our 8 foot fence when we moved in...hed come to our window and meow all hours of the night..we thought maybe he lived here at one time when the old houses were here...he started peeing in my plants...ON THE TABLE..i put the pepper out there and sprinkled coffee grounds every few days around the outside of our fence...we never saw him again....

:lol: did ya pee out there yet? i havent heard that one...but maybe the point is you marking YOUR territory? lol how about Voltaire peeing under the window? maybe that could help along the same idea?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts