Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday night I went and picked up our newest addition, Daphne. She is a 6 1/2 week old flashy fawn. I have an 11 1/2 month old boxer, Nyla. I was wondering, what are some good ways to introduce them? I don't want Nyla to feel threatened or to feel like she is being replaced, because she's not. Nyla is great around dogs and cats, but she hasn't really been around another puppy. I just want to make sure that I don't make her feel left out or anything. I would love to hear from someone.

thanks,
shannon

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Re: i would like some opinions on how to introduce my new pu

We've never taken special pains when introducing a puppy to an adult, though if you knew the adult had issues with puppies of course you'd want to be more cautious.  Most well-socialized adults are quite good at dealing with puppies, and can teach them valuable dog-dog socialization lessons.  (This is especially important in your case, with your puppy coming home too early.)  We do introduce the adults one at a time, so as not to completely overwhelm the the puppy!  Personally, I wouldn't have either dog on leash, and I wouldn't hold the puppy - let them meet on the floor.  You should be in the room and ready to intervene if things get out of control, but let the older dog handle things if she's being fair about it.  

Here's a good brief article about introducing puppies and older dogs:
http://www.newfdogclub.org/Pubs/nkh/kkh ... o_dogs.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts