Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I ran across a post in our Mid Michigan Boxer Rescue forums and I thought it was important enough to share with everyone here. I guess that giving your dog ice cubes to chew on or giving them ice water is bad for them. The ice causes them to bloat and they can die from it. This hit home for me because sometimes I'll give ice cubes to the dogs to chew on when it's really hot or I'll throw some in their water bowl. Along with bloating they get muscle spasms and dry heave.

I just wanted to make everyone aware of this issue. The lady that posted it had been giving her dog ice water and ice cubes for 15 years and never had a problem until one of her dogs started to bloat and dry heave at a show.

Signs to watch for: bloating in the stomach area, dry heaving, excessive drooling, and general distress.

Bloat can also happen if they are eating or drinking too fast. I notice that Macy will dry heave a little after she eats sometimes and it always worries me. It helps to give them a couple smaller bowls of food in one day rather than one large bowl once a day, and I have been giving them one large bowl of food per day (so that's over). Something that will help limit them taking in large amounts of air with their food is to elevate the bowls.

I am sure that a lot of you veterans now about bloat, but I just want to remind everyone of how serious it is.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Did it give any reason or explanation as to how ice could cause bloat?  I really don't see how it could.  Is it possible that it was unrelated?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that was one of my thoughts since ice cubes aren't listed as a health concern. It just

Their vet had said that the ice cubes cause muscle spasms because of the cold and made a reference to humans jumping in lake in the winter. So I am still trying to make the correlation with ice water and bloat....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for the info.  It's funny because, today I gave my babies each an ice cube and as they were eating them, I kept thinking to myself if ice cubes are bad for them and I was thinking about posting it as a question on here.  You answered my question.  Thanks again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is an interesting topic.  Sure would like to see some of the others weigh in.  Recently had Dixie on prednisone and she was soooooooooo hungry, constantly begging for food.   I felt so bad for her but with the pred was concerned that she would gain too much weight.  My vet suggested giving her ice cubes to make her think she was getting something to eat.    She said she gives them to her rotties all the time.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My first dog Niki ate ice cubes all the time and loved them with no problems, but perhaps it was because she was a small dog and didn't eat with the gusto my boxer does.  I could see where a boxer could eat so many so fast that it could cause problems - like humans get "brain freeze" eating ice cream or really cold drinks to fast".   I would doubt that one or two ice cubes would do much damage, but a bowl of them sure could.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would thin if you kept it in moderationit would be fine. I can see how munching on a lot of ice or even drinking really cold water quickly would do this but in small porportions I would think it would be okay. I obviously am no vet though.

·
Registered
905 Posts
In fairness, ANYTHING in excess can be harmful.  There are so many scares out there that are just scare-MONGERING but in moderation many things are not going to hurt your dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts