Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew if the stuff they sell to melt ice/snow on pavement is safe for dogs?  The package says its "safe for pets" but I want to check to make sure.  I am sure he will get it on his paws and end up getting some in his mouth.   The ice in my driveway right now is beyond treacherous!  I guess I could use sand instead, although that gets messy when it's tracked into the house.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Calcium Chloride!

I work for property managers, and every company i work for uses it.  They havent used salt in years.  They have it at home depot

·
Registered
362 Posts
Lots of products out there.  Is it simply rock salt? Halite?  Calcium chloride? Or something else.  The first two are basically the same thing as table salt.  Sometimes they're treated with other stuff to increase the effectiveness. From what I've read about calcium chloride is it's harmless as well.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Calcium Chloride is used because its also less abrassive on the ground outside... Salt eats away at everything..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Potassium chloride is safe.  Commonly used in tablesalt substitutes like No Salt.  MG-104 must be a magnesium product

·
Registered
202 Posts
you know, I dont care if "says" pet friendly or not... you can just never trust the packaging anymore.......

I always wash his paws off when we come inside but then again I do worry too much hahahahahahaha :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts