Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoosier's got this quirky problem with spiting up. Here are the rules:

Its only water.
He only does it first thing in the morning. For example, we wake up, leave the bedroom, I put some water down, drink drink drink, Blah!
If he drinks a little water, little spit up. Lot of water, lots of spit up.
It generally happens 2-5 minutes after drinking.
It never happens any other time of the day, no matter how fast he drinks.

and last but not least:

It only happens in the house! If I give him water and take him outside...no problem. But if we stay inside....BLah!

I've tried:
Little amounts on water; he'll just spit up the little water
Warm water; same thing
Give him water and then take him out; Eureka! Problem now is that he refuses to drink before going out in the morning! I don't want to deny him water in the morning, but I've been cleaning up vomit for nine months now. I take him out twice before I leave in the morning and there are times where he won't drink unless he stays in right after. Is it possible that he would think that I WANT him to do it?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is a very strange thing and I am not really sure of the answer to that one....Because he does not do it all the time....I would maybe try distilled bottle water???  If you use tap water, maybe there is something in the water that upsets his stomach first thing...Like maybe high lead or chlorine....Maybe try picking up a gallon of distilled water and see if it happens...

·
Registered
839 Posts
I wish I had some help for you, but I never had problems with that! Maybe seperation anxiety? Maybe he thinks if he does that you will stay with him? I'm just guessing, maybe it will shed some light on the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brady sometimes has this issue, we think when he drinks too fast or drinks alot and then starts playing excitedly...not sure why, but a couple minutes later he just spits...maybe from going from resting to getting up quick and drinking...who knows.
As it is only sometimes, I do not get too frantic, but with as often as you are saying, I can understand that something needs to be done! Assuming that it may be from drinking too fast, can you try placing something (clean) in the water bowl to slow him down with his drinking?  Essentially, something that gets in his way that he has to work around, thereby, slowing him down. Maybe try placing a ball in the water which takes up a good portion of the bowl...then try to keep him calm for a couple minutes, not moving around too much (maybe put him on his leash during this time or something)

Just a suggestion, no idea if it will work!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
What's the set-up of his bowl?  Maybe a bowl raised off the ground would keep him from vomiting.  Oggie's always spit up from time to time, I think it's just from eating/drinking too fast.  He always cleans it up himself though so he seems happy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bowl is lifted  8 inches. Its just weird because its only the first drink of the day that he does it. Most of time it happens, its not while he's playing. I will give the distilled water a try though.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Is he spitting up clear water only, or is it a bit yellow too?  One thing I was thinking, is that he is spiting up b/c his stomach is empty in the morning.  Delilah has done that before, but certainly not everyday.  Maybe try giving him a snack at night before bed, or a bite to eat when he wakes up.
Good luck with him!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts