Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, especially if you have more than 1 boxer...and one of those boxers is very self oriented!! Mr. Samson just thinks the world of himself!! :) we are trying to teach him to not grab from our hands while training but he doesnt seem to listen. Both the girls will sit and wait for their treat after performing or doing as told, and they NEVER rush us or try to steal the treat from each other. Mr. Samson on the other hand feels that he desreves ALL the treats, and doesnt think he should have to work for them. IT has got to the point i wont give him one, and i feel bad....but he needs to behave to get them!! any ideas how i can get him to stop stealing treats...or should i say ATTEMPTING to steal treats, or rushing us if he knows we have them??

·
Registered
648 Posts
When you feed him do you make him sit and wait until he is calm? That is really the first place to start because it means the most to them! Then put down the food and if he gets up you take the food back up and say, oh oh sit.  Keep doing this as long as he doesn't stay seated until you udder the word 'Come'.  If you do this day in and day out they get the point quickly.  For treats it is the same thing. They need to work in order to get something in return.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I put my hands behind my back so that Maple has to focus on me, otherwise she just stares at the hand with the treat and tries to go for it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Britneysdad\";p=\"89724 said:
When you feed him do you make him sit and wait until he is calm? That is really the first place to start because it means the most to them! Then put down the food and if he gets up you take the food back up and say, oh oh sit.  Keep doing this as long as he doesn't stay seated until you udder the word 'Come'.  If you do this day in and day out they get the point quickly.  For treats it is the same thing. They need to work in order to get something in return.

This is exactly what I have done with Gaby, and it worked great...now when I pick up her food bowl or the bag of treats she lays down right away and waits until I tell her it's ok to get the food...

Great advice  Britneysdad :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We feed all the dogs in the kennel. it is what works best so as not to have food stealing and know who exactly is eating what. this was happening before samson came home, just to fyi on that nothing changed once he got here as far as the feeding goes. So i guess in answer to your question Britneysdad, no he doesnt have to sit and wait. I put the food bowl in the kennel and then he comes in and eats, then gets to relax and lay down for abit to let the food digest and then immediatly goes out to potty.

Maplesfolks, we have tried that as well but samson just tries to cirlce us!! smart big fella!! :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sorry to move away from this main point but this same technique applied in a different situation works wonders.

As you know boxers love to jump period when people come around! If you apply the same technique as the food to the people petting your boxer they will eventually begin to lay down automatically. Britney is to the point if my wife comes around she will lie down automatically and turn over for her belly to be scratched.  I practice this with my nephews and she is starting to do it with everyone. The key is doing it every time and not letting people just touch her unless she sits or lays. I find laying much easier for them because it is less tempting. In the seated position they love to jump and they can be powerful.

·
Registered
648 Posts
southerngirls\";p=\"89732 said:
We feed all the dogs in the kennel. it is what works best so as not to have food stealing and know who exactly is eating what. this was happening before samson came home, just to fyi on that nothing changed once he got here as far as the feeding goes. So i guess in answer to your question Britneysdad, no he doesnt have to sit and wait. I put the food bowl in the kennel and then he comes in and eats, then gets to relax and lay down for abit to let the food digest and then immediatly goes out to potty.

Maplesfolks, we have tried that as well but samson just tries to cirlce us!! smart big fella!! :)
I would suggest when you feed them in the kennel they first have to be calm and sit before the food goes in. When you go to open the kennel and they get up - shut the door. I agree good idea to separate them when eating.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We were taught the "wait" command in classes (one of my favorite and most used commands).  Kiah waits before she eats, before she gets her treat for getting in the crate, she waits for me to go in and out of doors, at street corners until I know it is safe to cross.  When I let her off leash at the dog park, she will run until I tell her to wait (this is not 100% yet) so I can catch up to her.  Found this link that explains it better then I can.

http://www.siriusweb.com/AAD/traintip.html

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Don't have anything to add to the advice already stated, just wanted to say I agree with Barb, "wait" is probably the most valuable command our dogs know. Mostly used at meal times, doors (car esp.) and cross streets.
I loved the zen article, think we'll start working on that tonight. I really like that it's something they have to think about "what did I do to make that happen?"

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Zen is so simple yet so effective.  You can do it when you are watching TV.  Key is to get your dogs to wait until you say ok to have the treat.  kash is getting better but with Hanna, I can old a peice of liver right to her face and say WAIT, and she is dying inside, but will not touch it until I give the OK as a release word.

Its very fun to teach!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts