Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

I'm Admitting Defeat.......

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  southerngirls 
#1 ·
I have never had a dog that I could not house break before.  Baby (aka Bee Bee) is doing wonderful not peeing in the house, but no matter what we do or try we can not get her to not poopy in the house.  People keep telling me to rub her nose in it and toss her outside.  UGH - I'd really rather not do that to her cause then I'll have to clean it off eventually and I really don't think that does much good.

I will take her out to do her business and even if she goes once outside she will come back in and I'll bet it's not 15 min. later until she will do it on my floor.

Aside of putting diapers on her, does anyone have any other suggestions?

#3 ·
The old nose in the poop thing does not work.....I think it teaches them not to poop around you!  There are alot of good things on her for house training.

Here are a few things that worked for me:  When you find poop....yell at the poop "oh my gosh...poooppp...bad poop!"  yell at the poop not the dog and she will be watching you, just dont make eye contact with her as you get on to the poop for being in your house...sounds crazy I know....but it works!!!  

Then pick the poop up and put it outside.  When you take her out take her to the poop and let her smell it.  When she walks off, pick her up and take her back!!!!  This worked with Fiona and now there is only that one spot in the yard she will poop, which makes clean up great!!!!

Make sure you are leaving her outside long enough to poop, you are are taking her out  at a time she will have to poop...After waking and after eating....If you leave food down all the time that makes it harder, feeding on a schedule helps....And as already was said keep her with you....You can mark a time when she poops and in a day or two you will see her poop schedule....that will help too!!!

#4 ·
DO NOT rub her nose in it, it may only cause a new bout of problems. We had a hell of a time training Abby and she just knew how to sneak a poop in here and there (I am in the shower, with her clsoed in the bathroom with me...checking every 30 seconds and she would manage to go during those 30 seconds I wasn't watching, etc.). As we did not always catch her in the act, as on those occassions, we decided, given her sensitivity to discipline, that we may as well try taking her to the spot and telling her no harshly. We never hit her, never rubbed her nose in it, but as they say, if you yell afterwards, they associate the problem with the mess, not with the act. It backfired and we spent a couple months on Forbid bc she decided the best solution was to clean up her own mess, if you catch my drift.
She was tough, it took a long time. We got her at 5.5 months and she was about 11 months before she was trustable. I still keep an eagle eye on her and she is 14 months now...she must stay with me in the same room to this day. I hate to say it, as it doesn't help as you are going through the process...but just keep working at it. Try to watch her at EVERY moment, yell when you catch her in the act and run her outside, use lots of natures miracle...yada yada...its all the same old advise, but just stick with her, the tides will eventually turn.

#5 ·
I definitely agree with NOT rubbing their nose in it.  Some people say that just teaches them to eat it.  If she is going within 15 minutes of coming back in the house - then take her back out after being in for 10 minutes or so and just hope you can match her timing.  When I first got Kane, I'd have to walk him for nearly 45 minutes to get him to go poop.  As time went by he finally got it that we were going to stay out until he finished.  After a couple of weeks, he would just do both in less than 5 minutes.  I know it's frustrating, but they will learn - eventually.  With Sophie it's a matter of timing.  I know she will go within 15 minutes of eating, upon waking up from a nap or night's sleep - and it's me that is trained more than her.  Good luck.

#6 ·
I would never rub her nose in it.  I know it's not only gross, but it doesn't do any good anyway.  I think that's a cruel thing to do to an animal anyway.

It's hard for me to keep an eye on her ALL the time.  I'm a crafter and I do shows and I've been really busy working on them.  I guess what I could do is but up a barrier and keep her in the craft room with me instead of letting her run through the house.  I have caretakers that come everyday for my grandmother they are there until 3:00 and I get home at 4:30 and everyday when I come home there's a pile for me to clean up.  Now she knows when I see it she's done wrong by the way she acts but she keeps doing it anyway.j

My DH gets so frustrated with her.  I just keep telling him to take her out more often.  Hopefully she will come around.  Oh heck, even if she doesn't she's with me for life, I'll just have to get used to cleaning up poop for the next several years.  HA HA HA

#7 ·
I'm assuming she's a puppy?  Feed her 3+ times a day and take her out immediately after she eats.  That to me is the single best time they are likely to poop.  If she doesn't go immediately, throw the ball around....sometimes it just takes a little running around.  And if she still doesn't go, bring her in and watch her like a hawk for the next 20 minutes.  She likely has already found her favorite spots so be on the lookout.   Like someone said, use a leash inside if necessary.  And put her in the crate when you can't keep an eye on her.

For me the pooping has been easier to predict, it's the peeing that is anyone's guess!  Oggie has a really bad habit of peeing in the other room...every time I myself go for a pee.  I wish I was kidding.

#8 ·
yes, definitely keep her blocked in the same room as you, it helps a lot...granted even with that, it is impossible to watch every movement, but it will help, specially with catching her in the act.  Abby RARELY gets a run of the house and when she does it is only for a couple of minutes and only immediately after she has peed and pooped outside.
And I agree with the others regarding keeping an eye on her pooping schedule, which will be easier as she gets older because her system will mature, making everything a bit more predictable.  If you know she poops after each dinner, just make sure she DOES. If she doesn't for some reason, bring her in for a moment, don't take your eyes off her and right back out with in a couple minutes until she goes.
What about crating her while the caretakers are there?
It gets better, I promise.

#9 ·
i totally am right there with everyone..Sharons idea does work !! i did that same thing..in the past .. the rubing the nose in it is as foolish to me as puppies being told its ok to pee on papers in the house and then get in trouble for peeing or pooping other places IN the house...makes no sense..

everyones answers up there are wonderful..good luck

#11 ·
hahahahahahaha little tird..hahahaha ya i went through that all with Isis and she was 4 !!! boy oh boy.frustrating when tehy are older and DEAF !! they look at you like uhmm you know i cant hear you right? hahaaha

well good thing is yours is sneaking so she knows its not right..thats a good thing lol..

#12 ·
not sure i can contribute any more to the discussion as the comments have already been terrific.  i agree that rubbing their noses in it won't do any good and timing seems to be key.  remember, boxers have a natural stubbornness so it might take a while but she'll get there.  good luck!!!

#15 ·
Zelda was the other way around! she would pee in the house, but I think that first couple of months, she only pooed like once or twice in the house!

Oh by the way that reminds me! My brother used to hate her! the first time I brought her over to his house, I was like "don't worry dude, she is potty trained!"

Next thing you know Zelda is pooing on his gf's snowboard pants! LOL!

The next time I brought her over she puked on his floor! LOLx2!

and then just recently, she jumped up onto his bed to greet his gf, and LOL OMG im laughing just thinking about it! Zelda got all excited and pee'd all over his new comforter, and he was washing the sheets, so yah... He was MAAAAD! LOL!

#16 ·
MicnIndysMom\";p=\"37582 said:
Have you cleaned that last step with Natures Miracle? She might be picking up old scent that tells her that is a potty spot!
Oh yeah...everytime she does it i saturate almost the whole stair...figured it couldnt hurt it :) I am surprised my stair doesnt smell like NM over the amount i have sprayed on it....speaking of which i have to go the pet store tomorrow for more!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.