Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Willow has redness and a raised/swollen area just above her dewclaw. It doesn't seem to bother her, I only noticed it because I was playing with her paws when she was sleeping. Could she have gotten her claw caught on something?

Any idea what it could be? Vet visit required?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We took Willow out for a short run in the field because she's been cooped up for so long (12 days!) and is going stir crazy. She seems to have opened up whatever was on her paw and it was bleeding :(. It seems to be bothering her a little bit now. I've crated her for now to keep her off of it (plus she's tired!) and will be calling the vet tomorrow. Poor girl!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Could be a cyst. Duke had an inter-digit cyst on one of his rear paws. We had to put some medicated drops on it for a few days to get rid of it. It kept coming back, so hopefully that got rid of it. I would clean that up and put some medicated ointment on it. If you have to, wrap it with some gauze if she tries to lick off the ointment.

Or the dewclaw may be rubbing up against something that is irritating it. Does Willow like chewing on stuff a lot? She would use her dewclaw to grab onto stuff she is chewing on. Does she have an antler chew? If so, I would take away any chew toys for a little while to see if that helps any.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be a cyst. Duke had an inter-digit cyst on one of his rear paws. We had to put some medicated drops on it for a few days to get rid of it. It kept coming back, so hopefully that got rid of it. I would clean that up and put some medicated ointment on it. If you have to, wrap it with some gauze if she tries to lick off the ointment.

Or the dewclaw may be rubbing up against something that is irritating it. Does Willow like chewing on stuff a lot? She would use her dewclaw to grab onto stuff she is chewing on. Does she have an antler chew? If so, I would take away any chew toys for a little while to see if that helps any.
It's all cleaned up now, called the vet yesterday and have an appt in 20mins! Hoping it's something very minor. Thanks for the suggestions, we'll see if we get ointment from the vet.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the nail broken?
No. Vet said she either ripped the skin open or there's a foreign body under the skin (which I doubt because she's hardly been outside lately due to the spay).
Vet gave her steroids to take down the swelling and redness. She said to watch it closely for signs of infection. If it doesn't get better then they'll give her antibiotics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts