Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i missed you all so much. I arrived home at 4 am and it has been a horribly long and poorly serviced trip home. I was supposed to be home yesterday but my flight was given away to someone on standby and i was given no compensation and told to simply go to a hotel for the night because they could do nothing for me!!!! Today both flights home were packed. My bags had already been sent on yesterday to Detroit so i had to go get them unlocked from baggage claim office. Everyone on the airline was rude and i dont think i will fly southwest again.

San francisco was fantastic and me and the bf really enjoyed it. I will try and post photos soon. Mav is coming home from his kennel this morning and i miss him like mad! Baron is happy to see me however so im glad about that.

To make a horrible day worse i was stopped at immigration going back in to canada with the bf who is an american and staying with me in Canada until his immigration papers are all pushed through. I was told it was fine before i left and they refused to let him back through with me so he is stuck on one side of the border and im on the other....they have informed me i have to get married before they will let him back through?! uhhhhhh ok so....wow...not what i was expecting but ok. Anyway he is staying with his friends for the moment and i will be visiting for the next couple weeks but honestly..it's horrible. I feel so alone. I cant wait for Mav to come home. I was told he was eating like a horse and having a ton of fun and may not even want to come home! im sure he will be happy to see me tho.

The last horrible thing happened once i arrived at my apt...i recieved 2 rejection letters from phd programs which is so sad :( I am hoping that maybe my last one will be an acceptance but if not i guess i can always try again next year....wish me luck for everything guys and keep me in your prayers if you could.

god bless and thanks for keeping this wonderful place open! i missed it sooooo much.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
OMG Donya, that is so terrible! I can't believe they wouldn't let Travis through  8O How long do you think you'll have to wait till the immigration papers come through? And it's too bad about the rejection letters, but like you said there's one left. Everything happens for a reason, so you will be accepted when it's your time to go..I know it's hard to see it that way now. Sorry you feel alone, but just imagine how excited MAV is going to be when you see him! He will make you feel better I'm sure. Good luck and you are in my thoughts.

·
Registered
693 Posts
So glad you made it home safe. I've always wanted to go to S.F. Cant wait to see pics. Apparently Southwests saying " You're free to move about the country" is a crock of BS. Hope the BF can get across the border soon. :D

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
What rediculousness!  Not letting him back in!  Um hello!  Didn't he just come from here and now you're not letting him back in?  That's just crazy!
Glad you had a fun trip.  Sorry it sucked getting back home.  Good luck with the phd thing.  Have fun with the pup!
We're praying for you! :D

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Sorry you had so much happen to you.  That really sucks.  I'm sure in the end everything will work out.  Hope you have a great day with your little man!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome home Donya, I'm happy to hear you had fun in SF but sorry about everything else that you had to deal with. I can't get over them not letting Travis back thru, that's awful..he must miss you and Mav terribly. I feel so bad for you all. I wish you all the luck and will keep you in my prayers it gets resolved soon. ((((( Hugs ))))) I bet Mav is gonna be full of wiggles when he sees you! Cant wait to see pics from your trip!!!!!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Oh No Donya!!!  Sorry you came home with and to such a mess.   I remember my first vacation with my husband. I planned a romantic weekend in Canada - we bth never been.  We get up there, cross over and get flagged for an insepction.  They asked if were both were ever convicted on a felony.  We said no, they made us wait - stripped searched the car, and detained my husband.  I had NO clue what was going on.  I was like great -  I am dating a convict - did he have an outstanding warrent I had no clue about??  

Come to find out he had a DUI when he was 18.  - 14 years ago !!!!   I guess DUI is a felony in Canada, and when they asked if we ever have been convicted of a felony we both said no (DUI is not a felony in the US) and detained him for lying.  So we basically had about 15 minutes to get into the car and leave.   On the US side we spoke with the border patrol guy and he said yep- its happens all the time.  So I lost $$ on my reservations in Canada, and we ended up sdriving our way back thru Vermont / NH spending a different night in a new town - so it turned out to be a decent "Wing It" weekend.

*******I hope everything gets straightened out with the BF and you get Mav back to make you feel better - tons of dog kisses!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey BoxerForums!!

Yeah it's been an ordeal. Originally the guy was trying to ban me from Canada for a year, but after reviewing some paperwork and talking to a supervisor, he realized i'd been pro-active for the last year and a half in attempting to establish residency. The "common law marriage" only works in Canada if you are on the lease, which is ENTIRELY illegal to sign as an American. The lawyer basically told me flat out, (as did the immigration guy) outside of marriage I have ZERO shot at residency. We have a couple plans in the works as well as a way to get me across haha. A friend of mine's sister works at the Canadian border, so hes gonna talk to her and see what booth shes in and have her just wave us right in. Thing is, I leave again in about a month and getting across will be near impossible and whos to say the sister-stunt works twice. So any prayers are welcomed.

As far as the flight back home, the first day they had a new girl working a good 65-person line, spending roughly 10 minutes per person, 20-25 minutes for 'difficult' passengers and running back and fourth to supervisors every 45 seconds. The timeframe of a "hour and a half early" was shot to hell. Donya was harassed repeatly because she is Arab. One lady citing "sorry, senior moment" as the cause for the hold up. I must say we are united airline fans and shall never stray from the path no matter how tempting the prices! haha. I wish everyone a happy weekend and healthy dogs.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
WOW! what a cruddy home coming! I am glad things were fun in S.F, and hope things work out with getting you back home Travis. MAV will surely be excited to see you Donya!! Jeep us posted.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow, what a trip!!! If I didn't know better I would think this was one of my sister's tales, she always has things like that happen....Donya, so sorry for the rotten flight, Southwest may have it's perks for being low cost, but it's not worth it sometimes...Travis, my goodness, what ya gonna do> A midnite border crossing?  :lol:

Had something similiar happen to me in Brussels when the ex and I made our first trip after moving to Ireland...Did fine on the way over, on the way back, had to change plans in Brussles(as we did on the way over), the customs guy wanted to send me back to the states as I didn't have a visa(wasn't told I needed one by the ex's company), my passport was valid, I was in tears and started arguing with the guy :lol: Th ex kept kicking me in the leg to get me to shut up...Well, he eventually let me go with a note made on my passport(warning) and a stern warning to get this handled.....

Anyways, welcome back and I bet Mav will be soo excited to see you

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Soooo sorry you guys had such a crappy ending to your vacation. I guess the logic of their argument escapes me.....if a DUI keeps you out of Canada, how does marriage change that?????Guess I didn't realize that a DUI was a security risk???? I vote for the midnight border crossing. Hope your family is all together soon and this turns into one of those crazy stories you can chuckle about someday in the future.  :wink:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I second the midnight border crossing lol :)

Sorry your vacation had a crappy ending, I used to fly southwest all the time and I hate that their treat their customers like a nusance gggrrr.  I hope the situation gets better and you get accepted into the phd program :) good luck

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lori, Travis hasnt had a DUI but they turn you back for that as well..i think that Heather's hubby had one as a kid and it still affected him...sucks huh? Because im Arab they always scrutinize things more. i understand security etc but i get into the US easier with no id than into canada with a passport! Travis has no record and no reason they couldnt let him in they guy just didnt like that he is unemployed at the moment and thinks he is trying to live off of canadians i guess...yea im thinking midnight boarder crossing or get married...hell i didnt want a big wedding anyway lol

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ooops sorry mixed up the replies. Either story is still not a valid reason to deny entry. Hope things are straightened out soon. I hear ya on the suspicion based on your heritage. The MD I work for is Lebanese and her son was actually asked by a college admission officer which he favored, Sunni or Sh'ite (sp?) WHAT NERVE :evil: I was really proud when he responded, " I'm a Democrat" :lol:
btw, was Maverick happy to see you or pouty faced????

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maverick arrived home at 830 am.. stayed awake all night to make sure i didnt sleep in and miss him since no one was here to wake me and i was exhausted. He hopped out of her car and he looked at me. just stared. He looked horribly thin but after a second he wiggled and RAN towards me and jumped up for a hug...then i spoke with her and he had been going for 4 runs a day and playtime and was up to 5 cups a day but was soooo thin. he lost at least 5lbs and he is lean already. his little hip bones jut out now and there are a few ribs showing..it doesnt look like he is sick or anything just thin like he had ran a lot and since we only walk him and havent had him running at least not like that!

Anyway he has had 2 meals now and ive added in his little extras (which is what she didnt get to do) and he seems to have filled out a little already. Im anticipating he should be back to normal in a week or so. I am really proud of him. He stayed with me in bed from like noon till 8pm...im jet lagged and just plain exhausted..anyway he had no potty messes at all and he was up and about in the room...getting down to stretch then coming back to lay with me...he is my little hero and i never thought i could have missed any dog so much. I missed baron plenty too but i know he can take good  care of himself without me around as long as someone comes to play with him and feed him once a day. Mav has enjoyed sleeping all day today pretty much and is asleep on my lap as i type this. One thing is for sure...he needs a sister. he gets along with other dogs marvelously.

G

·
0 Posts
Soccergk1987\";p=\"101074 said:
I KNOW I KNOW... get married AND get another boxer as the wedding gift lol
I second that!   :)

I just read this post.  That really sucks you had to deal with ALL of that.  And they always say...  if it rains it pours   :(

Good you made it home safely AND that Maverick is home too!   :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts