Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it's not the dogs, it's me.  Last month I got staph in my knee.  I had a big rope burn on my knee from Charlie's leash.  I'm guessing I caught it from my BJJ class.  After numerous shots and 20 days worth of antiobiotics, things cleared up.  Well last night, I had these swollen spots come up on my neck.  Don't have a clue what it is, but it looks like staph.  The older lady that works with me called the boils.  I haven't a clue so I'm off to the docs.  Lets hope it's something minor.  I'm guessing I caught this from my BJJ/grappling class also.  I don't get it, I shower right after class with antibacterial soap!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If your academy has any antimicrobial goop I would use that before going home to shower.  I lather my face, neck and hands down before leaving the academy but every once in a while I still get a little staph colony after rolling with a couple people who just ball up their gi's and leave them in their trunks between classes.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
when it rainns it pours huh?

hoping you are feeling better and its minor ..hugz from us :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it's taken so long to post, but I usually don't post on the weekends.  The doctor said it looked like typical staph.  They are doing a culture test to confirm.  I've been on meds since Friday so it shouldn't be contagious anymore!  I've been trying to avoid the dogs because I'm paranoid that since Charlie still isn't 100% and has stitches in, that I might give it to him.  I spoke with my vet and she said it's wasn't likely, but I don't wanna get my boy sick again!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ugh, don't you just hate it when they can't figure out what's wrong? Hoping you start feeling better soon.. :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I do gi and no gi.  I do admit that the gi will protect you from getting staph to a point, but it also harbors all the nasty crap we try to avoid IF you don't wash it between classes.  Same goes for the rash guard, shorts and assorted braces everyone wears.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dan, I'm still debating leaving the gym I train at.  I really liked the other instructor better, but he just upped and quit I guess 3 months or so ago.  It was confirmed I had staph about 4-6 weeks.  Even if this is not staph, it has to be something that I've gotten from there.  Ringworm went around in the spring while I was out with a shoulder injury.  I've personally cleaned the mats a few times, and obviously from what I've been told, it's slacked off.  I do know that I'm not going to pay 75 bucks a month and clean the mats also.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Not that you can commute here but I train at Gustavo Machado's Academy and we sweep and mop after every training session.  You're just asking for an outbreak if you don't.  A lot of guys see having ring worm and staph as part of the game.  I think thats retarded.

I wish I only had to pay 75 a month but then again, I still think I am getting a great deal @ 120-130 with the instruction I receive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts