Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was told for Christmas I could have a boxer puppy so of course I began my search.
I found a number and called it, started asking questions and found out that the puppies weren't BOXERS but boxer mixes and they were an oops litter(she hesitated when I asked if this was a planned litter). They are 3/4 boxers with 1/4 you guessed it... pit bull ... I let that issue go thinking maybe I could deal with a 1/4 pit bull and then moved on to other more important questions like Have the parents been health checked and she proceeded to tell me yes, so I explained to her that a clean bill of health doesn't necessarily mean that they are the right kind of healthy. She then changed her story and said that the dad of the pups who is full boxer had a complete test including DNA but the mother wasn't tested that much in depth. I said that $250 is a small price to pay now but could cost thousands for me in the future. So I'm thinking its gonna be a no go for that litter of 9 pups and I feel relatively sorry for the ones that do end up paying her for them. But most of all I feel sorry for all of those babies :(

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just received another call from somebody who has a 10 month old boxer who also wants 250 for him and NEITHER parents were health tested. She said that the procedures were too expensive and that had she done that her boxer pup wouldn't be 250. I told her the same thing I told the first lady and she basically laughed at me saying she has had boxers for ten years and 250 was a bargain considering it was full blooded and akc registered... I told her AKC meant nothing to me that my dogs are simply my best friends and I wasn't going to show them. What I cared about was that somewhere in the future her 250 dollar bargain could cost me thousands of dollars... oy... doesn't anybody have any sense anymore?
I told her that I frequent a boxer forum and that they give great tips on finding puppies, she said that her boxers were perfect and she has never had any problems with them... Blah... This puppy hunting stuff is making me sad

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh I feel your pain and disgust. It's rather sad when all these people are interested in is the allmighty dollar...Soo sad and they won't pay for what happens to the pups, it will be the new owners that will....Keep searching, you will find your pup...Have you tried your local Boxer Club, that is usually a pretty good resource....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried one time. The lady was kinda rude with me... I asked her about a certain boxer that I had seen on petfinder and she said "I dont have him anymore but I do have a pit bull coming in today." *sigh* This was when I first started looking for a boxer before I had even gotten summer. I read up on all the rescues and things like that out here and most of them want you to have a fenced yard and very rarely do they have a baby... I just want to start fresh with a baby. I want it to only know life with me and not anything bad that he/she had to endure in the past ya know? Not once have I been able to get a baby, im always the one rescuing and finding forever homes for dogs and dont get me wrong I love it but its not the same as being the only person your dog has known for most of their life. I guess it kinda sounds selfish but I can be selfish sometimes right?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am so sorry about that! That is horrible what people that call themselves " breeders" will do to make a dollar. I agree with Willow, they won't (and probably don't) care what happens to the pups after the fact. Do they not realize that they are dealing with a living creature, not something you can just go pick up at Wal-Mart!!! Good luck and I hope that you can get in touch with a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It is certainly worth the wait to have the assurance that they did everything they could to produce healthy babies!  We did that this time...and while we paid less because she was white...we still paid plenty...it's worth it!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was advised by a member on here to ask her if she would take the dog back and give a refund had the dog gotten ill with any inherit or congenital defects within a year and she told me no. Actually I read it to her and she said at the point im not going to let you go any futher and flat out told me no she wasnt going to do that because she didnt offer that with any of the other puppies.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
THen you were dealing with a back yard breeder...Pua came with a 1 year warranty...as they say...no one can GUARENTEE anything...but, a warranty means that if something happened, she would either take the pet back(which I can't imagine) or pay pet bills up to the amount of the purchase price!

Stick to your guns! It is SO worth it!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
so sorry to hear that. :(  you will find the right one when it is meant to be it is meant to be (imo) it is so hard to find find someone who breeds solely for the love of boxers and not for $$$$. from what i understand it costs.. money to breed . don't give up your baby is out there somewhere! :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im Tryin J but its hard to battle the boxer addiction lol. Really though, I plan on stickin to muh guns but its so hard to find a reputable breeder living in Detroit. Out here you never know what your getting and thats how I racked up a vet bill with summer. I got her when she was 4 and I knew nothing about her or her past she had a urinary tract infection and was im almost positive beaten before I got her.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends on the circumstances

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How old they are, right testing on the parents, what vet work has already been done things like that

G

·
0 Posts
I'm just curious because you are not going to find a health tested parents puppy for $250...just not going to happen...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize that, but I never said I wanted one for$250. These people came to me with those prices and I would rather not support bad breeding.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There isnt a problem in the price but the way things are done. I think you got the wrong idea about what my problem is with this. There are many flaws that I found with both of these "breeders" that I didnt think would make for a good puppy, however I want to lessen my chances of having to pay thousands of dollars in vet bills because the breeder I so carelessly chose didnt take the necessary steps before and/or after breeding. $250 now thousands later. Then I would end up kicking myself in the butt for not taking all the precautions. Keep in mind that there is a lot of truth to you get what you pay for most of the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you want a perfect pup on a beer budget. It is not going to happen if you are going to set all of those guidlines and rightly so, be prepared to pay.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait a minute here. I never said I wanted a cheap puppy! I want a puppy thats not gonna croak on me in 2 years.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You'll be so glad when you find the most perfect boxer in the world! I would never want a dog that had any pit blood, just for the fact that pits can be somewhat unpredictable.  I agree with you that theres tons of truth in you get what you pay for!  Keep your head up, the most perfect pup is out there for you!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Liz and im still searching for a pup but im not just going to settle on anything because they gave me a cheap price.  Jeeze o petes

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.