Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided we would try giving her free roam of one room while we were at work instead of her just staying in her crate (for half of today) We used the baby gates and left her crate in there with the door open...ANd Guess what???

SHE DID GREAT!!! No potty accidents and everything in the kitchen was left intact  :clap:  :dance:  O:) What a good girl! I have to say I never would have thought at 9 months we would be able to leave her alone for that long with no accidents or damage! We were soooo nervous about it, but we worried for nothing :)

My question is, how should we continue so that she gradually gets used to the change?...do half days for a while then maybe a full day of roaming free/week to ease her into the transition?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
WOW!!!! great job Sadie girl!!!!!   Fiona is almost 14 months and she has not graduated to this state because of us being worried about what will happen....I will leave her for about an hour alone at a time and that is all I have progressed to.....

G

·
0 Posts
Yay Sadie!  We have just done this with Binga.  She gets the kitchen to hang out in.  Her crate is in there with the door open.  Sometimes when I come home she is in there laying down because that is where the blankets are.  But her toys are usually spread out everywhere.  Bear is in the crate still though.  My hubby left him out with her a few times when he was going to be gone for an hour or two and he did good!

Its such a relief to be able to do that BUT you still worry.  I always do!

·
Registered
725 Posts
What a good girl Sadie!! We left Gus out for ten minutes and the whole box of tissues was thrown around the living room!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yay Sadie!!! :clap: What a good girl. I would keep doing what you are doing. It is really a trust issue. I would just make sure to exercise her before leaving her alone so she is good and tired. A tired boxer is a good boxer!  :)  Be prepared for some destruction though!  :lol:  As long as she can't get into anything toxic and can't hurt herself, I wouldn't worry. Maddie has full roam of the entire house. She is 3, but I still come home to chewed crayons, soap, or shredded tissues every now and again. No major damage though. *knocking wood*

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tootsie\";p=\"106455 said:
Yay Sadie!!! :clap: What a good girl. I would keep doing what you are doing. It is really a trust issue. I would just make sure to exercise her before leaving her alone so she is good and tired. A tired boxer is a good boxer!  :)  Be prepared for some destruction though!  :lol:  As long as she can't get into anything toxic and can't hurt herself, I wouldn't worry. Maddie has full roam of the entire house. She is 3, but I still come home to chewed crayons, soap, or shredded tissues every now and again. No major damage though. *knocking wood*
Thanks for the reality check haha I needed it I think LOL. I think no matter what for a while we are going to be paranoid...Rob started to think what if she could have got out the front door somehow and ran away  :roll:  :D Most likely NOT possible, but we are still gonna worry about everything! Especially our antique table...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Good job Sadie, keep up the good behavior.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
What a good girl you are Sadie  :dance: Maybe you could try easing her into the free roam of the whole house gradually, an hour or two at a time? That way it might not be so over whelming (read EXCITING) to have the whole place to herself!
I posted somewhere before that we've been really lucky with Donner he's had free roam for a long time now. Blitzen...........may be a very old dog by the time it happens for her :lol:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Way to go Sadie!
I'd stick with what you are doing for a little bit longer before allowing her to have more roam of the house. One day they can be an angel but the next you might come home to find it a mess.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo Hoo, way to go Sadie, but don't tell Angel, cos she is still crated when we leave  :lol: Like Lisa said, I would keep doing the same thing for awhile, of course you can expect some days when things MAY not be perfect when you come home(remember Kash?) But that is a great improvement tho

·
Registered
882 Posts
WTG Sadie!....I'm working on the same sorta thing with Gaby, If she's had exercise and she's tired , I can leave her for a good 4 hours easy in my room and she wont distroy anything, but if she hasn't had any exercise the maximum I can leave her is about 1 hour and a check up on every half hour....Today we had some customers stop by that wanted to look at some artwork we are designing for them and I decided to leave her out of her kennel, but by the time I came back she had distroyed some of my dental statements.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts