Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked Oakley up from daycare yesterday and by the time we got home, he was licking his tail almost constantly.  I checked him out and noticed he had a very bright red sore under his tail.  I watch this dog like a hawk and am 100% confident it wasn't there the day before.  So I called the vet this morning and took him in to have the vet check him.  The vet checked his anal glands just to be sure it wasn't related because the skin irritation was so close to his glands.  His glands were fine and it ended up being the equivilant of a hot spot.  The problem is, since the vet checked his glands, he has had lethal gas.  I'm telling you, the boy is clearing the room every 20 minutes! He has never had problems with his anal glands before and has never had them expressed by a vet before.   Is it possible his sudden onset of gassy issues are related to that? And if so, how long will it take for this to subside?   Because he was almost due for shots as well, we went ahead and got all of his shots.  I can't imagine that the vaccines are related to the stinky issues, but who knows. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks so much all!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I don't know if any of it is related to gas, but you can give about a tablespoon of plain low fat unsweetened yogurt and that will help with the gas.  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"85471":21m939eq]I don't know if any of it is related to gas, but you can give about a tablespoon of plain low fat unsweetened yogurt and that will help with the gas.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
HAHA...sorry for your guys problem, but could not help but laugh at the thought of you running from toxic fumes.  The gas is probably due to the expression of the anal glands and expressing them also makes the whole back end of the dog smell bad, so he probably needs a bath and in about 24 hours from having them expressed they are generally back to normal! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice!

I am about ready to strangle my vet.  It is 2:07 am and I just got done cleaning an episode of explosive diarrhea.  I am so incredibly frustrated.  In a matter of about 30 seconds, I heard Oakley wake up, go flying off my bed (thank goodness) and then the next thing I know my carpet is a disaster. I know it wasn't Oakley's fault, it was very obvious that he had no control over it, and the poor thing gave me the most heart breaking little face afterward. He felt bad, you could just see it in his eyes.  I'm just frustrated that my vet has caused all of today's issues! I am seriously considering looking into another vet after today.  

I'm also confused about how to treat this as far as Oakley is concerned.  If I knew he had this because of an upset tummy, I'd take him off kibble for 24 hours, then put him on boiled chicken and rice for a day, but his tummy is fine, it's the whole gland expressng that appears to have caused this.  Should I still take him off kibble for a day or continue feeding as normal?

Thanks so much :)

Signed,  
A very frustrated, and now sleep deprived, mom to Oakley

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't have the answer to your last question but I just wanted to say... POOR BABY!!! Poor you too actually!! I'm sorry to hear about what's going on. I would THINK that you don't have to take him off kibble after what Sharon just said but like I said I don't really know the answer just wanted to pop in and say Hi!

**I'm sleep deprived too but because of my 2 month old skinbaby!  :D

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I don't know if leaving off the food would help or not either.
Poor puppy!  Poor mommy!!!
Hope he's better today! :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
My dog gets his glands expressed about every month (I've learned to do it because he doesn't whine when I do, unlike when the vet tech does it)... Getting his glands expressed will actually HELP with getting rid of bad gas, not cause it.

Your pup sounds like he might be having a stomach/intestinal problem

I would try the chicken and see how he does on that... Maybe he needs to have his digestive system regulated (just like humans!).

Good luck :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts