Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon my dh and I took Angel and Hank for a weekend run to a larger town about an hour away, like we do every weekend to go to Tractor Supply and Petsmart. I and the dogs stayed in the truck while dh went in to Tractor Supply to buy horse feed and cat food. While he was in there I noticed a white pit in a white minivan across the divider and it was barking but did not look aggressive. Just barking because it had been left in a car alone. After dh came out of TSC I jumped out and told him to watch Angel that Hank had been restless in the back seat and he may need to go to the bathroom. I hooked Hank up and off went across the parking lot to the grass on down more next to TSC. He was smelling around and we went behind a huge holly bush and all of a sudden without any warning a white pit came around the corner of the bush and jumped Hank. I jerked on his collar and pulled him around me but the pit was on his back and had a mouthful. I slapped down hard on the pits head and thankfully he turned loose, and I kept slapping at his head sideways and knocking it away from Hank so he couldn't get another hold. The whole time I was screaming help as loud as I could frantically. I was scared for Hank he is just a pup. Granted he is 72 pounds but has never been mistreated his entire life. This woman came running around the bush and she just stopped, her foot skidded on the grass and then she stood up and looked, I yelled "get your dam dog" and she yelled she couldn't. ??????? This is her dog and she can't????? So I had to quit hitting it's head away from Hank leaving him vulnerable for another bite, which it did, and I grabbed the dogs collar and held my hand out for her to take it. She had her dog finally and I was shaking and Hank was shaking looking terrorized. I was trying to look him over and she kept asking me "is he okay" I told her I did not see blood and he was just a pup. While I was checking him some guy pulled up in the white van and she jumped in with the dog and get this THEY DROVE OFF!!!!!! I am still pissed. My husband had no idea what was going on til he saw them pull off from where he saw where we were at and he tried to get the lisence number but could only get the first two C-????. We were shocked, my stomach is still upset over this I can't believe they cared so little for what distruction there dog may have done like that. I could never just run away from a problem like that and is she had stayed I would not have done what I did then. I called the cops and made a report they are going to check the cameras at TSC and see if it picked up the license plate number. Hank has had his shots so I am not worried about that, but if this woman has no more control over her dog and too scared to get it off another dog while attacking she does not need this dog. Too much for her if you ask me. She had a stupid scarf hanging from it's collar, one of those long knitted things to keep your neck warm, it looked like she may have been using it as a lead. Dumb, dumb, dumb. What if her dog attacked a person or child?
Sorry for the rant, but I have to get this out of my head. I am still shook. Poor Hank, I hope this does not give him problems later. We still needed dog food so I took him to Petsmart and he did meet and greet a dog while there but you could tell he was very nervous. I thought it was best to get back on the horse as they say.
I bought some spray to help with attacking dogs for future problems (I hope not) does any one have any other suggestions while walking your dog and attack?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh my gosh Terri- that's insane!!! You are so lucky to be OK and Hank is so lucky he has you! I hope the cops can track them down- what a bunch of jerks (for lack of a better word). I lived next to a pit for a couple of years when I had Ronin. The dude let him wonder around unleashed at night! I was always terrified. He came into our yard multiple times and I scattered into the car or through the door with Ro. I started carrying an electronic pulse type of thing, that only dogs can hear, as defense just in case. I never had to use it (pit moved out) but I felt better with it. All in all I'd say the best way to avoid it is to do just what you did- be vigilant and pay attention to your surroundings! You go girl...deep breath.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would have kicked that pit's teeth right oh his mouth the moment that [email protected]#$% said she couldn't get him. I totally agree. If she can't handle her dog then she should be euthanized along with him. Im sorry owners like this drive me up the wall

·
Registered
620 Posts
:( Yikes! Terri been there plenty of times with loose leash dogs it's very scary when the owner just stands there like they don't KNOW what to do..in your case that woman should own a dog!! :evil:
Good thing no one was hurt!! Give Hank some smooches from Tank & I :)

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
OMG, that is terrible, hope Hank is okay and glad he wasn't seriously injured. Hopefully the attack won't leave any emotional scars.
Hope the police are able to track down the owners of the other dog. Can't believe they just took off like that.
That woman was afraid to grab her own dog !!!
Sorry your dh wasn't within view and able to come help you. That must have been so scary. I would have been shaken too, but would have done the same- Protect my pup!
Hope you won't have any nightmares about it.
{{Hugs}} to you and Hank

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Ooh my goodness. I am sorry to hear that this happened Terri. Glad that there we're no serious injuries. I would have been furious with that woman as well. Hope the police can find something on the tape.

Lexi and I send some lovin' to Tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My bet is they have had this issue before with their dog attacking. Sounds like
they are scared as hell you cop on them. People like that cannot handle a Pug let alone a dog bred for fighting. There is no test you know, any jerk can buy a dog.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You know what the problem is? Peor who get dogs such as pits just because is a "COOL DOG". They probably got the dog of craiglist from a guy who made his dogs pump litters to sell them. It irresponsible from both seller andpotential owner. Un fortunately there isn't a way to regulate who can and cannot buy dogs. These is the kind of people who gave pits theyr rap sheet and got them banned from so many places. It truly enfuriates me. Now myself I did get a pit Tyson as my first dog,BUT 1)I grew up arround pits 2) my wife grew with pitbulls in her house and 3) my lil tyson was on his way to be put down because of an owner just like the one you dealt with today. My point is if you're not familiar with such breeds or dogs for that matter. You shouldn't get a dog PERIOD

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Oh Terri, I am so sorry that happened to you and Hank!
I cannot believe this woman had no verbal control over her own dog! And didn't have the fortitude to go and physically grab the dog. Bully breeds such as the pit get enough bad press and it is because of the irresponsible owners! Too many dogs like that end up in shelters because crazy people have no clue what they are in for and give up on their dog. How about some good old fashion obedience training?!

I'm hoping this doesn't cause any emotional harm to Hank. To ease your mind, dogs can move on and shake things off right away, but they will feel your energy and that will affect their recovery. Our trainer makes sure that when a scuffle breaks out in the yard, the humans let go so the dogs will relax and forget about it, just so the dogs aren't traumatized.
Lots of hugs to you and Hank from me and Gracie.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wow!!!
I felt like jello just reading your post - you were so brave!
Thank goodness baby Hank is OK. Poor thing, I hope he feels better soon.
Unfortunately, we can't hate on the pit, but we sure can hate on the owner!
What a stupid individual!

You know, it's good that you brought this up to all of us, because I never thought about how I would react/do if something like this would've happened to me.

What kinda spray did you buy? I will probably buy something and take it with me all the time while walking Stanley - you never know!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Just to add: One night, as Gracie and I were entering the Social play yard, we were greeted by the usual suspects- dogs that she is bff with- except there was a new dog, an american bulldog named Gus, who jumped on Gracie. He clamped down on her face shaking her around and Gracie was putting up a fight and I was pulling my dog off. Let's see, Gus has a good 25 lbs on my princess- He's a Big Boy and it was very scary!!!! Trainer Tim came and finally pried Gus off my girl. He quickly told me go walk and run Gracie around the yard and talk to her in a happy higher pitch voice. I did as I was told and amazingly Gracie was social, happy and didn't shut down. She played with everyone (stayed away from Gus though) like nothing happened. Trainer Tim said that the next 5 seconds after an event is critical. That is when you can correct your dog and redirect their psyche. So after a bad behavior or an event, we have 5 seconds to reprogram them!

Thought I would share that with everyone as a sort of damage control- make sure your baby is emotionally sound after if ever you are in Terri's situation.

p.s. My baby girl had puncture wounds on her face and neck, scratches on her chest and underbelly and a bloody paw :( after that.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I can't even imagine how scarey that was! They definitely don't need the dog, and it does sound like it's probably done that before... hope they can find the people! It's unbelievable that someone can let that happen, then just leave...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bully breeds such as the pit get enough bad press and it is because of the irresponsible owners! Too many dogs like that end up in shelters because crazy people have no clue what they are in for and give up on their dog. How about some good old fashion obedience training?!
This is another thing that really pisses me off about the whole thing, that I had to call the cops on a breed that has such a bad rap. I agree it is the owners but at the time you are fighting the dog. This dog is out of control and should not be out on the town. Thank you all for listening, I am a lot calmer this morning and Hank seems to be back to his normal self. Still has some hair lift places and I did find a small bite mark on his front leg last night when we got home. Nothing serious, and it could have been so much worse. I got the spray at petsmart and it is in the truck, I will bring it in this afternoon when I get back home from shopping (didn't finish stuff yesterday so I will just go into our small town and get what i need now) and tell you the name of it.
Again, thanks I was just so shook up last night I needed to tell people who understood.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry.....Hope yall feel better.... I went thru the same thing with buttercup......Thankfully i was able to pick cup up and throw her into a truck that was near...but if she wasnt only 6 months old at the time i wouldnt have been able to that...now i carry a gun when i walk my dogs.....As far as cup goes it took a while before she would even want to go the door for her walk. Still to this day she is scared

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would have kicked that pit's teeth right oh his mouth the moment that [email protected]#$% said she couldn't get him. I totally agree. If she can't handle her dog then she should be euthanized along with him. Im sorry owners like this drive me up the wall
AMEN!!!! You poor thing! I would have beat the everliving shit out of that dog, poor Hank! I'm so glad you two are okay

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I am glad he is ok as best as can be. I will tell you he will probably have scars inside. My Jaxon was attacked on leash in a dog park by a female pit who did some pretty major damage to him. He was 10 months old. He still has periods of scared and nervous and anxiety.

I will also tell you they probably won't do anything. I found the guy who owned this dog, he too ran fast as he could, we waited at the dog park until he came back. We knew he would. Got his plates etc and turned him in. NOTHING! They did NOTHING! As you can tell over a year later I am still livid.

I am so glad Hank only got the wounds he got. The feeling of helplessness just kills you.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Terri, thank goodness neither of you were injured! That could have been serious.... No wonder you were shaken up! People like that should not own a dog period!!!! I hope they can catch the stupid *ss!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Just to add: One night, as Gracie and I were entering the Social play yard, we were greeted by the usual suspects- dogs that she is bff with- except there was a new dog, an american bulldog named Gus, who jumped on Gracie. He clamped down on her face shaking her around and Gracie was putting up a fight and I was pulling my dog off. Let's see, Gus has a good 25 lbs on my princess- He's a Big Boy and it was very scary!!!! Trainer Tim came and finally pried Gus off my girl. He quickly told me go walk and run Gracie around the yard and talk to her in a happy higher pitch voice. I did as I was told and amazingly Gracie was social, happy and didn't shut down. She played with everyone (stayed away from Gus though) like nothing happened. Trainer Tim said that the next 5 seconds after an event is critical. That is when you can correct your dog and redirect their psyche. So after a bad behavior or an event, we have 5 seconds to reprogram them!

Thought I would share that with everyone as a sort of damage control- make sure your baby is emotionally sound after if ever you are in Terri's situation.

p.s. My baby girl had puncture wounds on her face and neck, scratches on her chest and underbelly and a bloody paw :( after that.
What does TT recommend you do in that first 5 seconds if your dog is the instigator?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts