Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our boy Desi is 8 months old now. We've been going to the same vet his entire life. The vet is fine when it comes to health concerns but I think he's a disaster when it comes to behavior.
He saw him first when he was about 2 months of age at the clinic. Desi was excited, the vet played into it and got him excited. I showed signs of disapproval, he did not care. Since then every visit to the vet has been a new "excitement" for Desi. He let him "playbite" when he was a puppy, even encouraged it. Now, if you ask me, an excited / stimulated dog should be the last thing any vet should want at the clinic.

Now he is bigger but the vet is still acting the same way. When Desi jumps on us, tries to bite us or behaves in an unruly way, we correct him. When he does these things to the vet, not only does he not correct him but keeps me from correcting him as well by saying "It's fine, let him, he'll eventually do it anyway." Honestly, he made it clear he doesn't believe I (27-F-thin built) can handle this dog. Surprises to him, I actually can.

Lately he started saying things like "You should send him to training" because he keeps jumping on him and trying to bite him. Let me add here, Desi does not bite anyone else. He's not an aggressive dog. He's not aggressive towards the vet either. That's just how the vet taught him to play with him. I am a nice person, I fear breaking people's hearts. So all I could say was "I am training him. He's not like that with people." But I'm thinking, maybe I should find a new vet who will listen to me, and not play into his excited state.

Also, I wish it wasn't the case but I saw the vet sharing a story of his friend-who happens to be a dog trainer- on their Instagram a week ago. Maybe he is trying to get his friend some business, I don't know.

What do you think? Should I find a new vet?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like odd behavior from a vet, especially the part about not listening to you regarding how you want your pup to interact with people, including him. Most vets I have ever dealt with want a calm dog, makes checkups, taking blood, etc. much easier. If you like the vet from a physician perspective, maybe you can just talk to the vet and explain to him that you don't want him to get him in that excited state. If he doesn't want to listen to your concerns, maybe you can ask around and find another highly recommended vet.

When my guy was a pup and would get over excited and people would say, "Its ok, I don't mind." I would just say back, "No offense, but he isn't your dog, and I don't want that behavior." and he would be corrected or removed from that person.

As far as him saying you can't handle the dog, that's a weird thing to say. I think that would be up to you, if you think you can handle him. If you are having some trouble, then by all means contact a trainer. My girlfriend is tiny, she has no problem controlling my 85lb boxer and almost 90lb rottweiler. Doesn't matter how big the dog is, or how small a person is, all depends on training.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think I would just look for another Vet start over hopefully your dog won’t equate his previous behavior with a new Vet. My dogs have reacted differently with different Vets I can tell by their behavior if the Vet is scared or nervous around them they get excited, when the Vet is calm and confident my dogs react with calmness. I don’t allow my dogs to misbehave when they are there regardless but I dont let anyone determine what is ok behavior except me

1 - 3 of 3 Posts