Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, Maggie has gotten her shots yesterday.  Well she went through this fence that's beside my house and I told her to come back and she did... but then when she went to squeeze her legs through she started to yelp and cry.  It's her left hind leg that got the needle.  So then I went to pick her up to make sure she was ok and she started to squeal and yelp some more and bit my finger which is so out of character for her.  She didn't break skin but that was the hardest she's bitten me before.

Well as I was typing this post, she broke through the bearer that seperates the living area from the kitchen and I had to go get her.  I picked her up again and accidently touched her left leg and again she squealed and yelped, but didn't try and bite.  It's hurting her :( and it's been 24 hours now (well almost).  Is this normal?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add she's walking fine, playing fine and just gave me a bunch of kisses.  As long as I don't touch that leg she's fine.

Oh my LORD!!!  She's scarying me some more.  She was just at the top of the stairs playing with a sock and getting all funny.  All the sudden I heard a thump (my computer is at the bottom of the stairs) and I turned around to see her falling down the stairs, like rolling from her tummy to her back to her tummy to her back.  I jumped up and was able to catch her before she landed on the bottom.  She got down from me and walked off all fine and now she's just laying down.  I think it shook her up.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good lord, Maggie is sure having a rough couple of days. As long as she isn't limping or favoring anything I would just keep a close eye on her. I don't know if you've ever gotten the flu shot or anything but when I get it my arm is sore for days after the shot. Gentle hugs to Maggie.  :wink:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Is that usual to give a puppy shot in the leg.  I've only seen them given in the scruff of the neck, and have never had any problems with shots or hot vaccines.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Our babies get shots in their bums.. Kitty and Mia got shots today (FELV and Lukemia for kitty and Rabies for Mia).. They are both KNOCKED out! woohoo! party time!!  :D

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've always had them vaccinate in the neck. I thought that was unusual also. I'm sure there is a reason. The only shots that my animals ever had in the leg were like steroid or anti-inflammatory shots.  :roll:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I agree with lisa. if she isnt favoring it in any way i would be too worried. I also wonder though why it was given in the leg, havent ever seen that before!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My old vet gave Chance his shot in his hind area....which i thought was strange but our new vet gave Layla her shot in the scruff of the neck. Just keep a close eye on her and if she starts favoring it then take her in...you might even call your vet and ask them over the phone if that is normal if you are too worried(might bring you some piece of mind) OHHHHh these furbabies are gonna be the death of us!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TamiNChance\";p=\"22764 said:
My old vet gave Chance his shot in his hind area....which i thought was strange but our new vet gave Layla her shot in the scruff of the neck. Just keep a close eye on her and if she starts favoring it then take her in...you might even call your vet and ask them over the phone if that is normal if you are too worried(might bring you some piece of mind) OHHHHh these furbabies are gonna be the death of us!!!
They are they are!  She's been scaryign the crap out of me all day.  Since her fall down the stairs we've all had a nap and just woke up.  Hopefully now she won't scare me no more lol.

My old dog always got her shots in her hind too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
the falling down the stairs sounds typical boxer pup clumsiness..  Kaiser and Haylee were running around and jumped the ditch onto a smooth driveway...  Hayle 10 out of 10 on the landing....  Kaiser, Not so much.  he landed on the concrete and slid on his but into a seadoo trailer...  they are crazy clumsy when they are pups

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Hubby comes home and I tell him what happened with Maggie and the stairs.  He does this laugh and says "It's not the first time!" WHA???!!!  What do you mean it's not the first time... "yeah uhh it's the third probably"

He never even told me because he didn't want me to freak out.  Men... and boxers, they sure are clumsy!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree the stairs was probably not related to the sore hip/leg issue. They are clumsy that is for sure.  All legs and cant use them well  :D

The hip is probably sore from the shot.  Sometimes thin hip's (such as boxer pups tend to have) will be more sore. Especially if they wiggle or jump when getting the shots.  It normally goes away in about 48 hours.

The reason that shots are sometimes given in the hind area is that there has been some research shown that it is a better vaccination site to reduce vaccine-induced tumors.  For all those who have vaccinations done on the neck area....don't freak out  8O.... Even though vaccination site-induced sarcomas are discussed alot with drug companies, I have been around this profession for 15 years and have never seen a confirmed case. It is more of a procaution I think. I only give vaccines in the hip/flank rather than on the body. The other reason is that you have a better chance of getting away from a dog/cat that bites.  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well my goodness Maggie, what are you doing scaring your Momma like that? Good lord these kiddos will give you early grey hair! The fall down the stairs, altho it wasn't funny at the time, sounds so like a boxer puppy, all feet and legs...Give that little sweetheart a hug and tell her to be more careful!! Going to have to get her a crash helmet or something :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts