Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have had a really sick boxer and looking for any InSite in what my dog has. Was diagnosed w immune thrombocytopenia and tested positive for Lyme disease. We almost lost her over the wknd but she is now home and in several different meds. Has anyone dealt with this Ty

·
Registered
507 Posts
No but my Mom had a beagle that was having joint issues and could hardly move she was relatively young and she tested positive for Lyme was treated and recovered well, I don't know if this is the same thing your dog has but the meds did work for my Moms dog. Those ticks in our area were horrible last year no matter what flea/tick product you use it seems they still get attached the Vet says it takes 24 hr. for the attached tick to transmit disease so sometimes its really hard to see them on brindle coats.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi all have had a really sick boxer and looking for any InSite in what my dog has. Was diagnosed w immune thrombocytopenia and tested positive for Lyme disease. We almost lost her over the wknd but she is now home and in several different meds. Has anyone dealt with this Ty
Wish I could help. I hope she's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
634 Posts
No but my Mom had a beagle that was having joint issues and could hardly move she was relatively young and she tested positive for Lyme was treated and recovered well, I don't know if this is the same thing your dog has but the meds did work for my Moms dog. Those ticks in our area were horrible last year no matter what flea/tick product you use it seems they still get attached the Vet says it takes 24 hr. for the attached tick to transmit disease so sometimes its really hard to see them on brindle coats.
Can you give a general idea of where you live? We are in the SE US and we have ticks pretty much year round, but luckily no major issues. We us a topical treatment on our boys monthly and it seems to work, but I'm always checking them when I pet them.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Well I have not heard of Immune thrombocytopenia, before??? But the good new is it does seem to be treatable and is not necessarily fatal! I found this in a search and it maybe helpful??

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4901510/

And the Lime disease, yeah that one sucks, also ... I don't believe it's fatal ?? But it can be pretty be pretty debilitating?? I don't know any dog's that have had it?? But I know a few people, that have had it.

Aside form the medical, the next best step is to change where you go with your dog's. Assuming tick's arent on your property?? Just avoid, Forest ... I hear those are where, Tree's, in great quantity can be found?? And avoid natural bodies of water???

Both are those thing's are theoretical constructs, where I am. The High Desert of NV! :)

When we moved up here, all the flea/tick treatment collar's and medication got disposed of!! Flea's and tick's like Humidity and if there is one thing we don't have a lot of around these part's ... it's humidity!

That was just an unexpected side benefit of moving here. Good luck with your girl. I hope she recover's well from all this trauma!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Can you give a general idea of where you live? We are in the SE US and we have ticks pretty much year round, but luckily no major issues. We us a topical treatment on our boys monthly and it seems to work, but I'm always checking them when I pet them.
I live in the mid Atlantic area and like I said the ticks were off the hook last year I used to walk on trails around here year round with my dogs but last year the ticks were so bad it wasn't possible and another lady I encounter on my walks takes her dog on the same trails I use she was diagnosed with Lyme as well. I have tried topical flea/tick and now I have been using the chewables and it seems neither one of them keeps them off completely. I have heard the Seresto collar helps but I don't like the idea of a collar on my dogs all the time they only wear collars when we are going out. One of the things I do now when I am done walking them before I put them in the car after walking I wipe them down with a towel and that seems to knock any loose ticks off before they can latch on then when we get home I take a soft horse brush and swipe over their coats and legs. I had another female boxer previous to the one I have now and she was brindle she developed AIHA the Vet thinks as a result of a tick bite she almost died and had to have blood transfusions and it was very touch and go for awhile fortunately she did recover from that but now I am pretty paranoid about ticks! This winter so far has not been that cold so I am bracing for another "bad insect" year!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I live in the mid Atlantic area and like I said the ticks were off the hook last year I used to walk on trails around here year round with my dogs but last year the ticks were so bad it wasn't possible and another lady I encounter on my walks takes her dog on the same trails I use she was diagnosed with Lyme as well. I have tried topical flea/tick and now I have been using the chewables and it seems neither one of them keeps them off completely. I have heard the Seresto collar helps but I don't like the idea of a collar on my dogs all the time they only wear collars when we are going out. One of the things I do now when I am done walking them before I put them in the car after walking I wipe them down with a towel and that seems to knock any loose ticks off before they can latch on then when we get home I take a soft horse brush and swipe over their coats and legs. I had another female boxer previous to the one I have now and she was brindle she developed AIHA the Vet thinks as a result of a tick bite she almost died and had to have blood transfusions and it was very touch and go for awhile fortunately she did recover from that but now I am pretty paranoid about ticks! This winter so far has not been that cold so I am bracing for another "bad insect" year!
Our boys hated the chewables so we stick to the topical. Luckily there's mostly grass where our boys go. We are the same, no collars (they are chipped) and they have a harness when we go out. I've heard there's a new shot too, but we have not tried it and I'm not sure if it works any better than the topicals and chewables.
It sounds like you have a good system in place. Sorry to hear about your friend and your previous boxer. It's great that she recovered.
We actually had snowflakes falling today, which is surprising as we expected rain and for it to be warmer sooner in the day. It turned to rain and nothing stuck. The forecast is in the 50's and 60's for the next week. We may all get some winter yet this year, but I agree, it doesn't look like it will help much with the insects.

I've read the possums eat a mass of ticks. Maybe we need another pet. LOL!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Our boys hated the chewables so we stick to the topical. Luckily there's mostly grass where our boys go. We are the same, no collars (they are chipped) and they have a harness when we go out. I've heard there's a new shot too, but we have not tried it and I'm not sure if it works any better than the topicals and chewables.
It sounds like you have a good system in place. Sorry to hear about your friend and your previous boxer. It's great that she recovered.
We actually had snowflakes falling today, which is surprising as we expected rain and for it to be warmer sooner in the day. It turned to rain and nothing stuck. The forecast is in the 50's and 60's for the next week. We may all get some winter yet this year, but I agree, it doesn't look like it will help much with the insects.

I've read the possums eat a mass of ticks. Maybe we need another pet. LOL!
You know its really hard to decide what to use Boxers are sensitive to things other dogs aren't bothered by I don't like using insecticides but I also don't want my dogs getting Lyme or any other tick born disease I did use some spray on them before walks it was a non toxic cedar based spray and it helped some too I made sure I sprayed their legs and wiped it around their faces for mosquitoes and flies so that's one of the reasons I enjoy winter so much! NO BUGS and none of us like the heat either!

·
Registered
507 Posts
So how is your dog doing now did the meds help her? I hope she is doing better

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
As far as flea & tick..We use NexGard. Have used it for the past 8 years now. No problems with it. My daughter recently switched the boxer to Bravecto, only because she doesn't have to give it as often. I personally do not like topicals or flea collars. I also have indoor cats, long haired. In the past they would pick up fleas, I guess they would come in on the dogs and jump right to the cats. Since using the NexGard I've not had the problem. (hope I didn't just jinx myself). This year I will need to have dirt added my yard and grass so I will more than likely treat it too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts