Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not impressed with all the so called ''Service Dogs'' I see.

Service Dogs are EVERYWHERE where I live! And let me tell you NOT VERY WELL TRAINED!

I am not talking about the real service Dogs who actually are Breed, raised and trained by a REAL Organization, I'm talking ''Service Dogs'' who just put on a service dog vest.

Now why I'm posting this here is that I recently saw a Boxer ''Service Dog'' at the mall who was being SUCH a Brat. His owner shouting at him to stop pulling and jumping and turning in circles and being very vocal.The owner which I personally will call Mr. Irresponsible got so mad at some point since his clearly UNTRAINED dog pooped right in the mall. That poor dog:(

Now, this said this is just one example of many many ''service dogs'' I have seen. Some I've seen growling at people and kids. One of them who was growling was in the emergency waiting room just growling at this one person.

My Uncle who had severe MS has always had real service dogs who were breed, raised and trained for his specific needs by a VERY WELL KNOWN organization called MIRA.
And let me tell you those dogs have ALWAYS been extremely well behaved when they had their vests on!

IMO this new trend where everyone wants a service dog is putting the public at risk and the real service dogs at risk too. Like in this video

Way way to easy to make my dog a service dog
Check this out (and this is one of many many sites) https://www.officialservicedogregistry.com/register-your-dog/

I like this video which shows how those in real need and with real service dogs aren't happy either!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8LH8gnPTXg

And this...this might eventually penalize those with real service dogs!

I sure hope that rules become much more strict so that people with REAL service dogs don't get penalized in the end!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The unfortunate thing, is people use a loophole to take their dogs everywhere now. Just slap the "service dog" label on the dog and you can go anywhere.

It does a real disservice to people who really need these dogs, and like the video you posted of the Rottie, can result into some serious issues. Thank god that one didn't as there were also young children close by.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I haven't seen too many but I have seen a few that obviously were not "real" service dogs they were just wearing a vest. It a shame people feel so entitled that they slap a vest on their dog, call it a service dog just so they can take it to places where it shouldn't be. I saw one in Walmart a few months back and it was obviously the persons pet and neither of them were very well groomed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In reality the majority of the dogs you see out aren't service dogs (ie: trained to perform a specific task).
Most get in under the "emotional support" label. Which means it doesn't have to be trained for anything.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
There is apparently no shortage of "Fake Service Dogs" out there these days?? I see plenty of them here myself with the occasional real deal!

It was in Costco, the dog was impeccable and impressive. Tons of people walking by and the dog never noticed. I stayed a respectful distance and asked what the dog was as I thought it was a Giant Schnauzer?? So I asked what is that dog?? He said a Bouvier des Flandres! I'd never seen one in the real world before and I did not know they did the Service Dog thing??? But that dog was the real deal. :)

But yeah there does seem to be a rash of fake service dogs out there and they do make it more difficult for those who need there real service dogs and that sucks!

I wanted to make Struddell a Therapy Dog as she luv'd people. But then I saw one of the requirements was ... no licking, that goal became a No Go??? I suppose I could have still done it but it was not a task I wanted to pursue. As licking people made her happy, and guest in the home (Males) enjoyed her antics. :)

I only saw the first clip thus far but that Rottie uh NO. Much to interested in dogs ... most likely he'd have been a fail out the gate if he went thru a real organization??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to make Struddell a Therapy Dog as she luv'd people. But then I saw one of the requirements was ... no licking, that goal became a No Go???
Lol

affd85a7237886b169ae8795627e7860.jpg

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
My neighbor had a bouvier. Nice dog, huge and looked very similar to a giant schnauzer. I'm surprised you don't see many of them, I don't either as they don't shed but they are a handful.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
My neighbor had a bouvier. Nice dog, huge and looked very similar to a giant schnauzer. I'm surprised you don't see many of them, I don't either as they don't shed but they are a handful.
I have seen only one Giant Schnauzer, many years ago. He was a rescue and an import form when the Berlin Wall came down! He was a former guard dog. And he seemed to be pretty civil, I did not ask if I could pet him though. :)

And that "bouvier" he was working anyway, and did have a "hands off" vest on. He was pretty disinterested in all the hustle and bustle. But the common factor between them both was they appeared, unflappable or dare I say "aloof" to people??

Struddell pretty much never had that. She could fake being "aloof" but the second someone looked at her, her front feet would not move but that butt would start to wiggle! People being the next best thing to baked bread, is a PIA, Breed Characteristic for a Service Dog.

Many, many years ago on TV I was watching something about dogs. And they showed a Seeing Eye Boxer!! I never fell on the floor but that dog was the real deal!! I was stunned and I've never seen another such Boxer ... anywhere.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
In reality the majority of the dogs you see out aren't service dogs (ie: trained to perform a specific task).
Most get in under the "emotional support" label. Which means it doesn't have to be trained for anything.
Yes "emotional support" it's a loop hole I suppose?? They don't have the same legal status as a real "Service Dog" but create a hassle for those who have a need for a SD.

A minimum standard should be, the dog at least not act like a "tool" in public. Seems simple enough to me but perhaps not???

·
Registered
177 Posts
We rent our house and we registered gypsy as and emotional support dog simply to use the loop hole to not get evicted because of having a dog.

As much as she is a great benefit to my daughter and my emotional needs ie. Anxiety and depression I couldn't imagine taking her out into stores, restaurants etc as a support dog. She would cause me anxiety because of the typical boxer behavior.

Totally agree with everyone. If your dog is registered as a service dog it needs to act, behave and be officially trained as such.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same here :) I've trained my bernese for one of my kid's anxiety. For AT HOME.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
You guys aren't "abusing" the Emotional Support Dog thing. Most likely the whole category
was created for owners like you. :)

But much like most things in life, it's a bunch of tools abusing privileges that have caused problems! The people that feel it's there God given right to inflict there poorly behaved dogs on everybody else! The owners of badly behaved dogs are the "problem."

Struddell could have easily "faked most aspect"of a true service dog, in my opinion. But that " unflappable demeanor of that "Bouvier," I saw in Costco ... no you can't "fake that!" The instant that someone even looked like they were interested in her. She gave "feed back" that meeting who ever they were, would be pretty cool!

You can't fake "aloof" most likely it's to bad I had her??? I do feel now she did have what it took to be a true "Service Dog???" But you know I wrecked her for that "Career??"

Therapy dog would have been a good second, as she luv'd people! But the no licking bit, threw a wrench into that plan??? And "Rocky" my Wobble Over Size Working Line GSD he would have been inspirational as an "Therapy Dog!" Except for that fact ... that he did not like people.

Oh well if I get a "Boxer" puppy, maybe I'll go for a "Boxer" that has a job outside of being a civil "Family Pet??" :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts