Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, now Gus is now 8 months old.. 3 months ago i took him off that cheap Purina Puppy Chow and put him on Nature's Recipe for Puppies is a lamb and rice based, with no fillers, beef, corn or by products..
Now he got the runs... starts out real firm (almost rock hard) then OMG.. stinky runs..
He is up on shots , wormed last week (nothing) , healthy, no temp... eating just fine, playing. I just don't think he is getting all out of his dog food
So today I am comparing labels and ingredience on the internet with several (tons) of different foods. thinking he has an allergy of lamb. He did not have the runs with Puppy chow..
So I have come down to Canidea Life Styles (I can feed this to my older dog too which would make things easier) or Eukanuba?????
Please give me ya all's input on this. Price is no option for my kids and its just the Canidea will not be easier to get (can't walk into Petsmart or Petco and get it) but with the internet it does not matter.
Please help

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would not use the Eukanuba.   Its not a human grade kibble and you will get tons of the fillers and corn.

Out of the two I would choose Canidae.   If you go to their website you can find a retailer by you.   www.canidae.com  The all life stages can be fed to puppys, adults and seniors.  Most human grade kibble comes in all life stages.

Good Luck and remember just some food ingredients are too rich for a dogs tummy, runny poo is not a sign of food alergy, but can be that the ingredients are too rich.   So I think a switch is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yeah, I made the switch from Purina Beneful to Merrick Turducken and Ringers stools have firmed up and been much more consistent.  I'm now on my first week on just Merrick and things are great.  He also eats it a lot slower too which is great for combating bloat.
There are a bunch of food threads out there and one good one that lists a bunch of different foods called 'Grading your dog food' or something like that.  It's a must read.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd go with the Canidae if those are your 2 choices, Like Hanna said, sometimes the best food is not always the best for our babies, I had mine on Blue Buffalo, awesome food, but they both had loose stools, went back to Nutro, got scared with all the recalls, so now it's Chicken Soup and they are doing great....As your pup is 8 mos, you can use the all stages, really no reason not to.....I have the same problem, access to good foods, my local pet store just started stocking the Chicken Soup, that's why I switched, they won't carry Canidae, I asked... :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
I feed canidae and have been very happy with it.  I've looked at the cost analysis a bunch of times and it's very hard to beat canidae for price and quality.  Many of the other high quality (5*) dog foods are close to $10 more for a similar size bag.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I switched Jaxon (14 weeks) and Bayla (9 years) at the same time to Canidae.  It's an all stages food so both can eat this.  I found that my local feed store sells Canidae!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Innova with Gracie, it is a little more expensive but it seems like a high quality brand.  We did  some research on food Boxers can have and this one works out great.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My dogs eat Purina One Sensitive Systems.  Mo would throw up every now and then on her old food so I switched to that and have had no problems.  I don't know what Nikko was eating before I got him but he seems to being doing great on this, also.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Try california Natural.  It is a very mild food for their stomaches.  Both Tyson and Sophie have sensitive stomachs and this works great for them.

Scott

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, today I picked up a big bag of Canidae Life Stages and started tonight to work the new stuff in. Gus my boxer never came up for air.. now my picky eater (mixed female she is 10 yrs) snubbed her nose at it , til I put a little of her wet into it (need to wean her off that too) but then she ate just fine. She goes thru spurts when she will eat real well then go a day or two and not eat... goof
Thank you for all your help and advice.. If it get to hard to find in stores I will just order it online.. easy enough.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea for Gus, he likes it! Lol, that always is a struggle...Glad it's working and hoping your female comes around too.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts