Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke has broken out of his kennel, messed his face up multiple times on it while I am at work. I need to go buy a new kennel but preferably need something he won’t injure himself with. I have tried leaving him out but it is not working out too well. Any crate recommendations for this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same problem with Snowball! Ive got one of those collapsible crates with one door & two locks. She gets out (has done so 3 times so shes a pro) if i dont make sure both locks are secure. But she tries to get out with the two & cant. For fear of the same thing happening (I imagined all sorts of scenarios while i was at work) i leave her out and close all doors to other rooms. Ive locked up the trash & ive had no problems yet. I think its been a couple weeks ive been doing this & often when i get home she is freely hanging out in her crate. Not sure that is possible with your space, but, i dont keep anything out that she could get into either just in case.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Uh oh ... a rather severe case of Separation Anxiety!! My thinking here has evolved over the years but pretty much all the basics of dealing with this can be found here.:

Separation anxiety = Shut Up Dog!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

And I did a much shorter thread on here.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/behavioral-issues/141874-tip-separation-anxiety-issues.html

And on the German Shepard link, that is Baillif, he's a top level pro and knows his stuff. So lot's of info and lots of links. Those should help ... but there is also a "Plan B."

And although, I learned and practiced (parts of) Plan B with my formerly Human Aggressive Over Size Working Line GSD. It was many years and lot's of viewing and sharing and working rescues online. It was only by accident that I came to more full understanding "What I'd done with my GSD?"

It's actually in William Kohler's Book, The Koehler Method of Dog Training. Now the full KMODT, is a bit to much for today's sensibilities?? But by and large, everyone takes bits and pieces of his foundation work and "Modify It." Tyler Muto's "Conversational Leash work comes to mind. :

But what I discovered in rereading the KMODT book, was a single paragraph ... that is my foundation principle. To wit ... "instead of fighting a behaviour you don't want, train a behaviour you do want."

Now I will grant that the same thing does not work with all dogs. Sometimes you have to "Keep It Real" with some dogs! I had that circumstance with a potential "Cat Killer" pitty I rescued fresh off the street. I had no time and no Crate and a house full of cat's?? So that was a crash course (24 hours) in Behaviour Modification using a SLL.

That was not my preferred method ... but I had no time and no choice ... worked out fine. But that's another story.

For you ... Plan B if you chose ... will take more time. And so you know ... if you sent your dog off to a proper two week, board and train, he will go in a Crate and he will learn to settle down while in there! Because if he does not ... there will be "Consequences!" The dog will be "Corrected" for acting like a tool while in the Crate! Pro's don't play games, Pet owners do. And most likely, that difference, is why you are where you are but whatever?? The situation now is well, what to do???

You've identified the issue?? The dog acts like a tool when you leave him in the crate alone and he acts like a tool when you leave him out of the crate alone??? That is pretty much the "Proverbial Rock and a Hard Place???"

Now I can't say I have dealt with this issue?? I've not Crate Trained any of my dogs?? The only one I should have used a Crate with was, "Rocky" my GSD ... I actually De-Crate Trained him??? That choice on my part ... was a mistake!?? And that choice would come back to haunt me seven months later ... but that's another story.

So you know what is Plan B??? Well step one is apparently a better Crate. Most likely one of the Plastic Crates is gonna be a better choice. And most likely in the beginning ... no bedding!

Step Two is gonna be making the Crate a safe place. Feed the dog in the Crate only! Put the food in the back of the Crate if he does not go in ... he does not eat, period! Put the food in there for 15 minutes, if he does not go in and eat ... put the food away and he does not eat, that meal! One or two days and he will figure it out! That would apply for treats also, throw the treat in and say "Kennel Up."

A couple of links:
Sean of "The Good Dog"

And Jeff Gellman:

Those are a couple of my favorite trainers. So those should help??

But there is more, step three is gonna be "Training Your Dog To Be Calm???" Right now he does not know, what that means??? Training calm behaviour in a dog is a thing, and it consist of basically "Two Principles." The Place Command and doing Sit on the Dog." Pretty much all you want to know about those can be found here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

And finally the super secret technique that enabled me, to rehab my H/A GSD ... that I did, but did not fully understand till many years later, what exactly I was doing??? I finally understood (what I'd done) when I stumbled across Larry Krohn ... "Walk Your Dog???" A dog does not need you for exercise, but they do need you to go on a proper structured walk! They learn to look for your guidance ... Dad has my back as it were.

Because of my Boxer (Struddell) walking a dog on a loose leash, was the one thing ... I just happen to be really good at. I personally did not think, it was any big deal, it was just something I did??? But in retro spec ... my formerly H/A WL GSD ... did not receive a single correction for any untowards aggression towards strangers, uh who he clearly had no use for! Nonetheless, with my running interference (my rules I took point) he did meet many strangers and he did just fine. :)

But I found Larry Khron and he explained to me "what I had done and how, exactly??"

Long way of saying if you don't do anything else ... do that! And for the record ... Larry Crates his puppies/dogs for two years before he fully trust them in the house uncrated and supervised!!

Aww well as they say ... the only thing three dog trainers will agree upon, is that one of them is wrong! Because ... I seriously can't see me crating my Boxer for two years???

Hope this helps and ask questions. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Duke has broken out of his kennel, messed his face up multiple times on it while I am at work. I need to go buy a new kennel but preferably need something he won’t injure himself with. I have tried leaving him out but it is not working out too well. Any crate recommendations for this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a Midwest 49"x 28"x 30" top and bottom lock. Never had an issue, but then again I don't think my guy ever tried to escape.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Aww well upon further review ... I'm gonna retract the Plastic Crate Airline Crate thing. I have seen dogs online (rip thru the wire crates) but apparently a dog with nuthing better to do, can bust thru the latches on the Plastic Crates also???

Apparently a hard core Crate is very expensive??? I went straight to the same source, I first went to with my GSD ... Leerburgh, and looked for Crates?? They don't screw around with crap there and I found this.:
https://leerburg.com/dogcrate.htm

And digging further I found this on the Kennel Aire Crates.
Why Pay All That Money For Kennel Aire Crates

Most likely that is the best bet for a hard core dog with a crate issue in a wire Crate??? As for what Leerburgh, sales themselves?? Well they don't screw around. :

https://leerburg.com/view-category.php?categoryid=468

Most likely there are other Aluminum Crates that are less expensive but it looks like, if "Correcting the dog in the Crate is not an option (for you) ... then a proper Crate is gonna be expensive!!!

But the OP could ... supplement my Plan B, with a direct approach for unsettled Crate Behaviour and it won't cost a dime! We can't see the dog so we don't really know how bad the situation is???

I would still go with my Plan B (a fairly simply but kinda long drawn out affair admittedly) but if the underlying issues is Separation Anxiety ... Plan B is how you would address it. :)

But in the meantime??? You can't have the dog constantly in an anxious state and tearing up Crates??? So you know ... back to basics. Don't screw around and just address the issue directly! Correct the dog in the Crate for bad behaviour!

The answer is in the first set of links but it's kinda buried?? And admittedly it is more of an eyes on approach?? So if the dog is calm while you are there the "cheap" approach is not gonna work??? But you would use a Bonker for a more direct approach to calm behaviour in the crate. DOn't act like a tool in the Crate dog ... are there will be "Consequences" make "better choices dog!"

Details are here. :
https://www.boxerforums.com/behavioral-issues/182569-stopping-unwanted-behavior-bonkers.html

Now Gary recommends a towel bound with rubber bands and when the dog does "whatever" you throw it at them and hit them! It gives the dog a WTH, moment and they stop doing whatever it was they were doing ... just like that!

But since your dog "issues" involve the Crate?? The Crate is going to be your target. Do the Kennel up bit and leave the room and just listen, if you hear him acting like a tool?? Your gonna throw a "Bonker" at the Crate and say nothing or NO?? I'm not really clear on that one?? If you say nothing then the dog won't know it was you ... he will come to believe "correctly" that his actions caused that (the Bonker) ... to happen??? So you know ... I best be quiet in here???

And sometime after the "correction" may be 15 to 20 minutes, reward him for being quiet in the Crate and after a few minutes or so more, let him out. And as to the Bonker itself ... the only modification, I would add is to use a bundled pair of heavy socks! More noise on impact and easier to aim.

This approach would be more of a hard core crash course in calm behaviour in the Crate, but really a weekend of concentrated effort and most likely ... the Crate Issue would be solved??

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I use a midwest 42" however he wass trained from the get go so he has never tried to escape and my poodle pup is now using it too. I have seen these which look escape proof Zinger Winger DX5000 Deluxe 5000 Aluminum Dog Crate, you can find it on Amazon.
It does sound like your dog has separation anxiety and you will need to work on that issue to help him. Perhaps doggy daycare?

·
Registered
23 Posts
When Roscoe was an adolescent dog he broke out of his standard wire kennel like it was nothing. We had to get him a heavy duty kennel, and we got one from here:

Zinger Dog Crates :: Zinger Sport Dog Gear Inc.

It was expensive but it held him there. He never broke out of that kennel. We even did ratchet straps around the wire one while we were waiting for the new one to arrive and he managed to chew the strap from the ratchet strap and still break out. He was a determined young dog for sure.

After he was around 4 years old, him and his sister, Gracie were trusted enough that we didn’t have to kennel them anymore.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Aww well the OP seems to be MIA?? So not sure there is much point in continuing??? But if ... I were to ... I would "add" that (A stronger Crate or Puppy Day Care) "is the "old" avoidance approach, and sure either could work??? But both these possible solutions "avoid" actually "addressing the underlying issue?? Which is most likely "Separation Anxiety??

My standards are pretty high! And I do the best I can to protect my dog's from making "Poor Choices??" But you know ... "Crap Happens??" And in a crap happens situation a dog that does not have unaddressed S/A issues, will make "Better Choices" than a dog that does. Been there done that ... worked out fine. :)

And yeah ... it was not my Boxer ... sigh, it was my formerly HA, and under carefully controlled conditions ... a proven, toddler hating OS Wl GSD! So yeah ... not "family friendly."

But my point is, if I were to add in an unaddressed S/A, issue into that mix?? Well when the crap went down ... it might not have worked out so well??? He did break and out of sight "Place!" But he made a "Good Choice!" If he'd have had "also" an unaddressed S/A issues ... also??? I don't know if it would have worked out so well for all involved. "Crap Happens" and the best preparation for the unexpected ... is a "well trained dog, ie make good choices dog"
is how we roll, just saying. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Something to keep in mind no matter what you get, if there are rubber or plastic pieces outside of the crate that slip over the handles/ slides, etc.... remove them.

We had a crate years ago, and our dog got out...the next morning he wouldn't eat and was dry heaving....we took him to the vet, and sure enough, he swallowed one of the plastic/rubber pieces. They were going to operate, as he could not get it up...he literally got it out minutes before they were going to have to operate to remove it.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts