Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i noticed two weeks ago i went on vacation for the weekend, came back and my female 7 month old boxer had her eye swollen like if she got punched really good. So i thought it was something she slept on wrong or something. I gave her an anitbiotic her vet gave me before for another case and in an hour her eye was fine but to the point.... this morning my wife came in saying her eye was swollen again and indeed it was. Can someone help me on this please? has it happened to someone else's and have gotten the vets opinion... Any opinion would help i just hope its not somehting else that could be serious one day. Please help me..

·
Registered
375 Posts
It could be an infectio since the antibiotics helped or maybe an allergy. I would go to the vet you dont wat to mess around with it if its an eye infection

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I would take her to the vets! It cuold be an infection and it could also be a bite or allergy!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
It seems unlikely that the antibiotic would help so quickly, 1 hour isn't even long enough to be fully absorbed in the system. Sounds more like a bite or sting. Have you tried Benadryl?? Dosages  are by weight and are in the health stickeys. If that fails I'd head for the vet. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No i havent tried benadryl.. I gave her her food and gave her her antibiotic right after and have been applying ice to her eye. I'll let you guys know how it goes mean time does anyone else have any ideas on the cause... i live in mimai and we dont get stinging insects to much so i seriously doubt it was a bite...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
She may be allergic to something (grass or a pollen that she is carry on her feet and getting in her eye) or it is a bite of some sort that she is allergic too; ants, mosquitos, spiders, etc.  I would try the benadryl

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
sounds like an allergy to me too.  I would not use leftover antibiotics in the future (shouldn't have them leftover really) b/c if you don't finish the meds you could be creating resistant strains of bacteria- then next time the medicine will not work.
Did you try the benadryl?  My girl's eye got swollen when i gave her melatonin to try to get her heir to grow back from seasonal flank alopecia. Needless to say we didn't try that anymore!
Your girl probably got into something or ate something she is allergic to.
Who was watching her when you went on vacation? maybe they remember something she might have gotten into then too.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My thoughts too, bite or sting.  I would give the (regular original) benedryl as that would be my first response to what you describe.  1 capsule or tab per 25 pounds every 6 -8 hours.

Nano

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All gone everyone. I put some ice and held it there for a minute or so every 30 minutes... it went from eye shut to completely back to normal in about 2-3 hours. I have a feeling it was something she ate.. Thanks everyone i greatly appreciate it. :wink:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I live part time in Bonita Springs, Fl (by Naples) and my male was bit by something last year and had a real allergic reaction.  Not sure if it was a spider or wasp or what.  Could even have been a scorpion.  We do have those down here you know.  Glad she is better though.  I keep benadryl everywhere.  Car, house, backpack, purse......boxers can be sensitive to things so it's good to know the dosages and keep it close at hand.

Nano

1 - 14 of 14 Posts