Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point is it okay to inbreed? And, for example, is it okay to breed a brother and sister or is that too close? Or does it have to be a few generations out?

Just to clarify I'm not breeding dogs but a litter that I was interested in seems to have some inbreeding.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Yamboa, all you have to do is request the pedigree of a litter.

I'm not a fan of inbreeding/line breeding. I can see the benefits of doing it carefully however you are not only doubling up on the good traits but also the bad ones.

Bother/sister, father/daughter are way to close IMO.

Uncle to niece, grandfather to grand daughter...... Maybe

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I think when one does line breeding/inbreeding there are a few generations apart, definitely not brother/sister

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This person has made their own lines for over 15 years and claims they are problem free and healthy and live till really old, but that is what they "say" which anyone can say... Although she did tell me her reputation is important to her and she doesn't want to ruin that. Sounded like the perfect breeder. Then the litter was announced so I took a look at the pedigrees and the bitch and stud are brother and sister! I feel like if the linebreeding was a few generations out I would have been ok with it but bro/sis? I don't know about dog breeding but it didn't seem right. Back to searching for the perfect breeder :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts