Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Xena has been having this problem for quite some time now.  It's her paws....she bites and licks and chews them...loudly, constantly...INCESSANTLY!! We've taken her to the vet for it and hes prescribed an antihistamine called hydroxyzine. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. We've tried the sour sprays that supposedly taste bad so they prevent biting...worked for one day, tasted like candy the next. She does it so much that her paws have become raw and sometimes they bleed! This also happens to her chin. She rubs it on the furniture, scratches with her paws...anything to get the itch and it starts bleeding. The vet said we have 2 alternatives now...steroids (not favorable...can cause liver problems) or a veterinary diet ($75 a bag...ha!).  I've tried socks for the paws but she takes them right off! I bathe her about every 2 weeks so i dont think cleanliness is the problem...I'm out of options! HELP!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My first guess is you're giving her a bath too often. They dont need to have them that much, maybe like 3 times a year, or if they go rolling around in something really stinky. Otherwise it removes the natural oils from their skin.

When I was younger my parents watched my aunt and uncle's dog for a little while while they were in Israel. She always licked her feet too, they were always raw, but there was no medical reason for it. The only reason we were told was it was an Obsessive compulsive thing, which I didn't know dogs could have.

·
Registered
375 Posts
MY vet perscribed my pit bull the same medicine and it makes him vomit, so we stopped giving it to him, he does have to be on a special diet btut I do not get it from the vet and it doesn't cost 75 a bag. He use to scratch chew his paws also and he had small patches of hair loss on his legs/paws. We feed him Innova EVO its grain free(he is allergic to grains) and for a 28 lb bag it is 44.95.There are other choices out there that won't cost 75. What size bag is that? Solid Gold has some good foods that would work also.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
What are you feeding her? Change it! When I first rescued Maddie she constantly licked and chewed her paws. I brought her to the vet and they gave me 50 mg hydroxyzine. That worked for a little while. When I first got her she was eating Iams. I got her onto Solid Gold and whalla....the itching and chewing stopped. However, she started scratching her chin after about 2 weeks on the solid gold. I didn't really put two and two together and I finally switched her to Canidae about three weeks ago and she is not scratching at all.  I am just now trying to figure out what ingredients she may have an allergy to. So, my advice is to switch her foods until you find something that agrees with her. It may take a while and several brands, but to me it definitely sounds like a food allergy. You don't need to buy special food from your vet. Take a look at the" food tips and diet info" forum and look into the "recommended foods to feed your boxer" section. You should be able to find some premium foods on that list that won't cost you a fortune.
And...welcome to the forums!  :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We haven't had that problem... but that would be my guess too... sounds like an allergic reaction to something. Good Luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She gets Purina Dog Chow....she's been on it for almost 2 years but I'd say this problem has only been going on for 6mths. I  guess it could be a food allergy since the vet recommended a change of diet....the $75 bag is 25lbs which she goes through in a few weeks. I bathe her that often cuz she goes outside in the backyard a lot and digs in the dirt. I also bring her to the dog park where she gets DIRTY. She starts to smell after a few weeks...like really bad. I'll try the diet change...hope it works.

·
Registered
94 Posts
our puppy is fine, but my mixed female use to do that.
Check
1. if you have your house sprayed by Terminex or bug control with what they are using.
2.If you are using any rug deoderizer in the house or floor cleaner.
My mixed has stopped chewing since we moved to the new house and not having the exerminator spraying inside the house
If its not a food allergy check these other things they are coming into contact with

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be the dirt but I don't know how wed get around that one....she practically has a pink slip to the backyard.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My Uncle's dog Nemo who is now 8 yrears old has had the same problem all his life. He licks himself raw. The vet has put it down to boredom (have you heard of parrots pulling their own feathers out - same thing). The only thing that works is keeping him busy ALL the time. Not always possible. On the photo you can see the nasty back leg. Try the diet thing- you might get to the source of the problem through elemination. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree to try changing the diet first. It could also be seasonal allergies.  I have a male with this problem.  Right now is itchy time for him.  I do not use steroids, I will only use this for life threatening problems.  I use regular over the counter Benadryl, the original kind.  The dose is 1 capsule for 25 lbs of dog's weight.  Another good thing to use for the itchy paws is to mix some colloidal oatmeal bath soak with water.  I use about 1/5 packet to a quart of water.  Soak the foot in a foot bath to get good and wet and wet the other itchy spots with it using a sponge.  Let them stand 5 minutes (I do this in my shower) and then pat it dry.  You can do this two times a day and if they lick it off it is harmless.  It really can help sooth the itching.

I also use a non-soap based shampoo on my allergy boy.  I can then give baths more often.  I have found that it helps this time of year to give him a lower body wash (feet, legs, underbelly) with this tearless Biogroom shampoo.  I do this at NIGHT, when he is done being out during the day.  It rinses off the pollen and allergens he has collected thru out the day. I just use a washcloth with a little shampoo mixed with water on the rest of the body then take a wet washcloth and rinse it off so it is really not a full bath.  Then dry him off.

Good luck on working this out.  Try not to give in to the steriods, they aren't good.

Nano

1 - 11 of 11 Posts