Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out about an ILP (see explanation below, for those like me that had never heard of it)  from someone at the rescue when she heard that Kiah and I are continuing obedience classes and want to get our CGC.  Has anyone who has rescued or have dogs without papers tried this?  

Liz, I am sure you know about it; is this a good thing to do?  I am not sure where we want to go after the classes but I was thinking of agility at first but Kiah doesn't seem to have taken to it.  We had a small agility setup at obedience class for the dogs to get a feel of it.  It could be that she was so distracted with all the other dogs around.  Kiah is also really friendly so someone also suggested that we might try to get certified as a therapy dog after seeing if she does really well in her classes.

Indefinite Listing Privilege
Dogs of any breed recognized by the AKC that do not have registration papers or known parents may qualify for an Indefinite Listing Privilege (ILP). ILP dogs may participate in certain AKC events, such as obedience, agility, tracking and many performance events. Photos are required to prove the dog is a registrable breed. The dog must be spayed or neutered. For information about the ILP program, visit the ILP section on the AKC web site, or e-mail questions to [email protected].

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yeah Ive heard of it too! I think it would be a good thing to do!! Im sure it would be fun :)  Im planning on getting Roxy CGC's certification after the pups are born! The trainer I talked to said they start pups at 6 months so Im going to work on Roxy's CGC and maybe try to get her Therapy Dog certification too.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I think you can get a CGC without having an ILP number, but for any other AKC obedience/rally/agility titles you do need one.  Valentine has an ILP, because at the time we got her breeders weren't allowed by the ABC to register whites; we had at one point thought about obedience or agility with her, plus we figured it's another paper to support breed/ownership should there ever be a question.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You can get a CGC without the ILP! I was going to get Toby ready for it, but he's too skittish.. If something falls, he acts like the world is coming to an end..

I'd like to do it with Mia.. She loves EVERYONE..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
For CGC you don't need an ILP number, but for everything you do.  If Kiah hasn't really taken to agility then you should look at another route.  Does she like to play ball?  If she does then maybe you could look into Flyball.  There are a huge list of things you can do.

As for Therapy Dog work.  Kiah would have to be an Ace in Obedience school and would probably need a bit of advanced training.  Not only will you need to pass the CGC, but you'll also have to pass the certification test.  9 x's out of 10 the dog will pass the cert and the person will fail because they aren't as outgoing and bubbly as the dog.  I do hope you go for it!!!!   Lilly LOVES it.  She thinks of it as her downtime, not as another job!!!  The ppl at the elder care facility LOVE HER as well.

Liz and Lilly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts